Mobo not picking up new SSD drive

Associate
HI All

I am trying to install a 1TB Crucial MX500 however it's not being recognised by the MB which is an ASUS Z87-K.
As far as I am aware it is connected correctly.
I have enabled the port in the bios settings but still nothing.

Any help appreciated (Don't get too technical :))

Cheers

Associate
Have you tried a different port or a different sata wire? You can also test the SSD in an external drive if you happen to have one. Failing that connecting it to a different computer for making sure it's DOA before sending it back.

Associate
OP
Hi all

After a power cycle it appears to be working, I have downloaded crucial storage executive which displays that the drive is healthy, it is also picked up in disk management although it tells me the drive is not allocated.
Dumb question should I be able to see the drive listed under my computer as it is not listed with my other drives.

Cheers

Soldato
Hi all

After a power cycle it appears to be working, I have downloaded crucial storage executive which displays that the drive is healthy, it is also picked up in disk management although it tells me the drive is not allocated.
Dumb question should I be able to see the drive listed under my computer as it is not listed with my other drives.

Cheers
Sounds like the drive is in its raw format.

you will need to create a partition on it and then assign it a drive letter which can be done by right clicking the drive in device management.

Once done it should appear under my computer with the other drives

Associate
OP
Sounds like the drive is in its raw format.

you will need to create a partition on it and then assign it a drive letter which can be done by right clicking the drive in device management.

Once done it should appear under my computer with the other drives

What size partition would you recommend for a 1TB drive

Soldato
What size partition would you recommend for a 1TB drive
depends on what you want to do, create one partition on it and use all the space (will get 931GB usable space) or make a number of smaller partitions for different tasks etc.

if its the only drive in the computer you can create a 200GB OS drive and then use the remaining space for storage (games, documents, data etc) as when it comes to OS re install you just do the 200GB drive and then nothing is lost.

for me, I have a 250GB OCZ SSD for the OS and then 2 x 850 evos in raid giving me a 500GB storage drive which is where all my game libraries live so when I format the OS SSD I just need to re create shortcuts again

Associate
OP
Hi all

So clone successful and SSD running ok.
What is the best thing to do with the HDD now, would you format it and then move over data files etc

Any suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom