Macrium Reflect Cloning Guide

Caporegime
Good cloning!!! :D
25hob6g.jpg

I thought id post a guide on how to clone your ssd/hdd using the free 30 day trial of macrium reflect

first disconnect any additional ssd/hdd's and just have the drive you want to clone and clone to connected

then download macrium reflect/install it and load it up

http://www.macrium.com/

next step,is to load macrium reflect then point it to the source drive you want to clone and choose the destination drive you want to clone to

for me I was cloning a corsair force gt 60gb to a Samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd

jugtb6.jpg

then click next

mutv0g.jpg

once the drives are confirmed and your happy then click finish to start the cloning

205cqjl.jpg

cloning in progress........

ifn57r.jpg

all it took was 6 minutes 57 seconds:D

now your done cloning you can shutdown the pc,attach the drives you disconnected beforehand then boot into the bios and set the newly cloned ssd as the first boot device

alnuah.jpg

save and exit...

2anmgi.jpg

then boot into windows and look in disk manager (start/right click my computer/manage/storage/disk management)

macrium reflect will make an exact copy including the size of the drive/partition so now I have a 60gb partition on the new 250gb ssd because my source ssd was 60gb in size

xkt2fq.jpg

now in disk manager you'll have to right click on the unused/unallocated space on the newly cloned ssd and expand it...

2i0ar9v.jpg

and voila:D we have back our missing space

120i1x2.jpg

and that's it,job done

1z6gviu.jpg

you can install latest rst drivers if you want to,they generally improve speed slightly over what Microsoft installs

I could have used Samsung's own data migration/cloning tool but for that you have to have atleast one Samsung ssd,macrium will work on any brand ssd/mechanical hdd

I wouldn't have had to expand the partition either with Samsung migration tool or if I used the paid version of paragon migrate software,i don't know if the paid version of macrium would let you skip resizing/expanding but its not hard to do,it only took a few seconds

Last edited:
Don
Nice, you can ask Reflect to resize the partition mate when doing the clone in 'clone partition properties' simpler then the windows way as well :)

Well done on the guide though

Stelly

Don
Stelly, the partition properties was greyed out for me last time I tried that.

What enables / disables it?

You have to select the partition that you want to resize by clicking on it (blue line should appear under it), and then select the properties link.

Let me know if it works mate

Stelly

Don
will def have to try this when my evo arrives. How does it compare to the seagate version?

Its a lot better in my opinion having tried them both, Macrium Reflect has a lot more features and actually software support!

Macrium reflect is free for non commercial use.

Yup very much correct... and there is not that many differences between the full and free versions :)

Stelly

Soldato
i'm hoping someone might be able to provide feedback on this.

I have a load of work stuff on my pc, installed office/custom software/logins...etc..

anyway if i clone and install to a new SSD (from m500 to 840 evo) will is copy everything with 100% accuracy or will I lose any odd bits?

normally I do just a fresh install and be done with it but i'm not in a position to do that now.

Caporegime
OP
i'm hoping someone might be able to provide feedback on this.

I have a load of work stuff on my pc, installed office/custom software/logins...etc..

anyway if i clone and install to a new SSD (from m500 to 840 evo) will is copy everything with 100% accuracy or will I lose any odd bits?

normally I do just a fresh install and be done with it but i'm not in a position to do that now.

yes

you always have your original hdd/install to re clone if it doesn't work for any reason but yeah ive yet to have a clone attempt fail,samsungs own data migration tool might be a better option

Back
Top Bottom