Plusnet Discussion Thread

Soldato
Everything looks fine to me, what are others thoughts? Aluminium cable? Neighbours across the street are on a different cabinet and are getting 76mb/19mb up :(

You could try isolating any land line phones or internal phone wire, this will tell you if there is an internal issue slowing your connection.

Keep an eye on disconnects, regular disconnects indicate issue with the line.

Other small things worth considering to make minor improvements, but everything adds up.

Switch your RJ11 modem cable to a twisted pair shielded cable.
Use a Hi-Fi AV mains conditioner on the modem PSU plug, I use a Tacima. They make more difference if you have internal Ethernet over mains adapters. The idea is to reduce mains noise / spikes entering modem effecting it's performance.

Associate
Hi All,

My talktalk contract ends march (THANK GOD), looking at changing to plusnet as the are in a sense BT, but have heared the Hub is awful for wifi

so Is plusnet worth the move or am i jumping out of the fire into the fryingpan

also is the wifi rubbish, am I better swaping for ASUS RT - "AC86U Wireless AC 2900Mbps Gigabit Router" with a heavy ££ (will plusnet give user/password)?

Soldato
I keep seeing it mentioned but just a note about poor wi-fi on the homehub/one hub (whatever it's called), I've seen about a dozen instances of this which were resolved by changing the channel. Throughput was garbage and almost unusable and checking the router's config showed it as defaulting to channel 1. Every time I've come across this issue, it's been resolved by changing the wireless channel.

Even though the hub is very basic, it's worth trying before you shell out for an expensive router that you may not want/need.

Associate
Could any of you lovely folks test something for me? I'm running a web server off my hyperoptic connection, trying to move some large files to a friend who's on Plusnet, and the speeds are dire. Tests from other ISPs have been fine.

If any of you get the chance, please can you see what kind of speeds you can get from this URL?
http://ct.2p.fm/large.file

(The file is just gibberish data -sorry!)

Thank you for your help!

Associate
Thanks guys - so being stuck at 1mbit is definitely a local issue for my friend! It could be the odd network setup he's got with some clapped out cisco router.. but he does manage 35-40mbit from fast.com which prompted me to check!

Man of Honour
I've just renewed with PlusNet after a year. I'm now paying £13.99 a month for 80/20 on an 18 month contract (no idea what the tier is called these days) with a statip IP, plus £12.49 for BT Sport in HD on top (on my Sky Package). I also pay Line Rental saver annualy. I would have switched to take advantage of cashback etc however the cabinet is full and when ports become available they tend to be snapped up rather quickly. Not a bad deal at all and at least it keeps me on FTTC rather than the 2Mbps alternative!

Soldato
My 2 year deal is ending soon, currently pay £30/mo for 80/20 Mb/s (including line rental obviously). Considering their current deal for new customers is £32/mo I would hope for something better.

Soldato
Plusnet price rise announced folks - £1 increase and you can leave contract penalty free.

Jumped on live chat and Plusnet offered to keep my Fibre Extra (76Mb) plan @ £26pm - which was to match Vodafone's current fibre plan offer.

However instead I have jumped on BT's 52Mb plan £29.99pm. Bagged myself the £130 reward card and £95 via Top Cashback - a free £225 is too good to pass up. :)

Back
Top Bottom