Shoes Shoes Shoes

Associate
Hi all, just bought my first pair of herring shoes welted sole and all that jazz as they was in the sale

Now i have a few questions

On their website it says only wear them for three hours or so to break them in before taking them outside do I really need to do this?

I have shoe trees and another pair of ok ish shoes so I can rotate them a bit if needed?

I have brushes but my cleaning products consists of cheap super market polish do I need something different?

Also do I really have to dust them off and wax them after each use or is once a week enough?

Associate
I have a pair of Paul Smith shoes that are very comfy. I use dubbing on them weekly as I can never find a perfect match of polish due them being a kind of plum colour.

Has anyone ever had a pair of Paul Parkman shoes? Seen a pair that I like, but they are quite pricey.

Soldato
I'm a huge fan of hand made shoes. I have

Crocket & Jones
Cheaney - 3 pairs
Jeffery West
Grenson
RM Williams

Most recently and one of my favourites - Carmina

I'd recommend a good quality pair of shoes to anyone, I have so many in rotation that they don't get a lot of wear and they can be re-soled so they should last me many years.

I really have to stop looking though before I'm tempted to buy more.

Associate
On their website it says only wear them for three hours or so to break them in before taking them outside do I really need to do this?

Just wear them around the house in the evening for a few days until you're confident they're comfortable enough to wear all day. That's all I do.

I have shoe trees and another pair of ok ish shoes so I can rotate them a bit if needed?

Rule of thumb is never wear the same pair of shoes two days running. The leather needs time to "rest".

I have brushes but my cleaning products consists of cheap super market polish do I need something different?

Look at Saphir. eg. the Medaille D'Or Cream. This video is also useful for good technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwsGvItrzg

Also do I really have to dust them off and wax them after each use or is once a week enough?

No. I just give mine a quick wipe / brush (with soft bristles) to remove excess dirt / marks then put shoe trees back in.

Beware, it is a slippery slope. 6 months ago, I was sick of my £80 shoes falling apart every 9 months. I started out with a pair of Loake 1880s and 6 months later, I've just received my 3rd pair of "quality" shoes. I now have:

- Loake
- Cheaney
- Trickers

Whilst the Loake's are a good starting point, both the Cheaney and Trickers are a significant step up.

Soldato
I'm looking for a dark brown pair of oxford shoes. Charles Tyrwitt has a pair I like but with a leather sole (which is a personal no no for me). Guess I could get them redone, but still on the lookout.

around the £150 mark if anyone has a better idea.

Soldato
I've not seen Tyrwitt's shoes, rather surprised they even do leather soles. For a decent pair with rubber soles at that price I would try Herrings - perhaps Barker or Loake would have something around that price. Ideally you might need to spend a little more, but I largely think you get what you pay for here.

Associate
Interesting - Will check some of these out as I've currently given up on shoes for trainers for all but very special occasions for which I have some nice brogues from Reiss.

Regular high street shoes seldom last me a year- however I am guilty of wearing my shoes to destruction and typically have one 'favourite' pair at a time.

I think time for a visit to Jermyn St as they have both Church's and Cheaney stores

Associate
Any of you have big feet? I'm a size 13UK (size 14US) and I've just got a pair of Thorogood Moc Toes in size 13EE (US).

They seem pretty good apart from with the insole, they're a bit cramped. Without it they're very roomy - the way I like it. Reckon it's fine to use them without an insole? Will they stretch out if I keep it inside?

Soldato
Interesting - Will check some of these out as I've currently given up on shoes for trainers for all but very special occasions for which I have some nice brogues from Reiss.

Regular high street shoes seldom last me a year- however I am guilty of wearing my shoes to destruction and typically have one 'favourite' pair at a time.

I think time for a visit to Jermyn St as they have both Church's and Cheaney stores
Jermyn Street is the best place for shoes in London I've found.

Caporegime
Nonsense. I don't spend hundreds on shoes, but even Clark's at £50-£60 are magnitudes better than supermarket leather shoes at £30-£40.

Fake leather PVC shoes are absolutely awful unless you like to boil your feet! I imagine primark shoes mostly fall in this category.

If you can afford it, half decent shoes are always worth the investment. Last much longer too in my experience, so probably don't cost much more in the long run.

Dad has some Barker's which were maybe £100 on sale and they are far better made again than my Clark's. I presume they are Barker's cheapest range too.
I don't think I've ever had a pair of shoes that didn't boil my feet, and I've spent between £40 and £80 on mine. Including Clarkes, Hush Puppies et al. All shoes make my feet uncomfortably hot. I could buy a pair for £300 and it would probably be the same.

Associate
Look at Saphir. eg. the Medaille D'Or Cream. This video is also useful for good technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwsGvItrzg

I have just ordered a welt brush, two cloths and a saphir renvator cream which was the most expensive item and a soft brush which I will use to dust the shoe off as well as buff the cream off

thanks for your help

I will go none leather sole on my next pair I think even though I do like the sole as it keeps my feet cooler and I am on carpet all day so the wear is good

Associate
Another quick question again I have some shoe trees they're dirt cheap 15 pound tops do I need some better ones
Just had a quick look and ones that are slightly more money seem to have a better shape

Associate
Pretty much the same cleaning set up that I've got. All my shoes have Dainite soles. I'd like to try leather but I spend a lot of time outdoors on wet surfaces so thought that Dainite would be harder wearing and last longer.

I'm no expert in shoe trees, having generally taken whatever was offered when I bought the shoes. Cedar shoe trees are the best. My Loake trees were £40 and are much nicer than the £25 Cheaney trees which is odd because the Cheaney shoes are much nicer (and more expensive) than the Loake's. I'm awaiting a £20 pair from eBay for my Trickers so will see what they're like when they arrive.

Associate
I will see how the trees fit then change if needed

I think barkers might be on the cards next but I will wait 6months or so

Associate
I don't think I've ever had a pair of shoes that didn't boil my feet, and I've spent between £40 and £80 on mine. Including Clarkes, Hush Puppies et al. All shoes make my feet uncomfortably hot. I could buy a pair for £300 and it would probably be the same.

Have you tried leather soles bare in mind they will wear quickly if you do lots of walking outside.

Man of Honour
I was amazed by the fact but having spent a lot of time reading around this subject, everything you read says exactly this.
I have no doubt there is some benefit but I'm amused by the idea of "wear is half as much, it lasts twice as long!!!" :p

Back
Top Bottom