**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Associate
Vodafone finally connected my SIM. Just need to claim the QC35s now - that's the only reason I got the phone in the first place.

Soldato
I've had my P20 Pro for a week now. I was coming from a Galaxy S5 that I'd had for around four years, so obviosuly it feels like a pretty significant upgrade to me. I basically plumped for this phone because of the camera specs, since I only really use my phone for web browsing, emailing and taking family photos (the camera on my old S5 was really starting to feel dated).

It took me a while to get used to the size and weight of the P20 Pro, and I was worried about dropping it the first few times I went out of the house with it. Kind of used to it now, and I love reading on the 6.1" screen. My S5 looks tiny now whenever I pick it up!

The main plus has been just playing around with the camera. Even just experimenting with the different modes, I've taken three or four of the best photos I've ever taken just snapping my kids, our cats, rooms in house at night, etc. It's really excellent. Such a step up from the S5 camera. Night mode especially is almost spookily impressive - I actually like using it in the daytime as well to bring out detail in my shots. A lot of options to get stuck into, though, and I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I've got a Spiggen Armour case, which feels good (I always get Spiggen cases), and I was really pleased to see it come with a pre-applied screen protector, but I'm a bit agnostic about the decision to ditch the 3.5mm jack. Still wondering the best way to use headphones with this. Anyone found any good accessories for this phone yet? Doesn't seem to be much out there. I'd also really appreciate any recommendations for camera/photo apps since I'm having such fun with the camera.

Sgarrista
Commissario
and I was really pleased to see it come with a pre-applied screen protector

I was trying to work this out on mine actually. Obviously it came with the nasty screen packaging film, but under it, it does seem there is a screen protector already applied. I wasnt sure if it was part of the screen itself or a protector.

Soldato
I was trying to work this out on mine actually. Obviously it came with the nasty screen packaging film, but under it, it does seem there is a screen protector already applied. I wasnt sure if it was part of the screen itself or a protector.

Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. I'd already bought some glass screen protectors, which kind of felt a bit annoying, but actually since applying screen protectors is such a faff of a job (that I always bodge) I was pleased not to have to do anything in this regard. In the end I Googled the terms P20 Pro and pre-applied/factory fitted screen protector just to make sure, because I'd never seen a phone come with a screen protector already applied before, but yeah, it does confirm it.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yeah, it took me a while to figure it out too. I'd already bought some glass screen protectors, which kind of felt a bit annoying, but actually since applying screen protectors is such a faff of a job (that I always bodge) I was pleased not to have to do anything in this regard. In the end I Googled the terms P20 Pro and pre-applied/factory fitted screen protector just to make sure, because I'd never seen a phone come with a screen protector already applied before, but yeah, it does confirm it.

Yea I see some people say theirs is peeling off / not applied dead center. Mine is so perfectly fitted I genuinely couldnt work it out.

Soldato
I've had my P20 Pro for a week now. I was coming from a Galaxy S5 that I'd had for around four years, so obviosuly it feels like a pretty significant upgrade to me. I basically plumped for this phone because of the camera specs, since I only really use my phone for web browsing, emailing and taking family photos (the camera on my old S5 was really starting to feel dated).

It took me a while to get used to the size and weight of the P20 Pro, and I was worried about dropping it the first few times I went out of the house with it. Kind of used to it now, and I love reading on the 6.1" screen. My S5 looks tiny now whenever I pick it up!

The main plus has been just playing around with the camera. Even just experimenting with the different modes, I've taken three or four of the best photos I've ever taken just snapping my kids, our cats, rooms in house at night, etc. It's really excellent. Such a step up from the S5 camera. Night mode especially is almost spookily impressive - I actually like using it in the daytime as well to bring out detail in my shots. A lot of options to get stuck into, though, and I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment.

I've got a Spiggen Armour case, which feels good (I always get Spiggen cases), and I was really pleased to see it come with a pre-applied screen protector, but I'm a bit agnostic about the decision to ditch the 3.5mm jack. Still wondering the best way to use headphones with this. Anyone found any good accessories for this phone yet? Doesn't seem to be much out there. I'd also really appreciate any recommendations for camera/photo apps since I'm having such fun with the camera.

What headphones do you normally use? If they aren't anything fancy then the best solution is to buy a set of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...aotronics&dpPl=1&dpID=31cqf69icjL&ref=plSrch#

Click on the promotions section and it'll give you an offer to buy them for £13.59. I got mine a few weeks back and think they're pretty fantastic for the money.

Soldato
Caporegime
What headphones do you normally use? If they aren't anything fancy then the best solution is to buy a set of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...aotronics&dpPl=1&dpID=31cqf69icjL&ref=plSrch#

Click on the promotions section and it'll give you an offer to buy them for £13.59. I got mine a few weeks back and think they're pretty fantastic for the money.
I bought these and sound quality is good but I find them a nightmare to fit in my ear even with the smallest buds.

Soldato
Cool, cheers.

Do they really last for 8 hours of playback?

I haven't timed it, but they certainly last a reasonable amount of time. I had a pair of Kitsound ones before which were awful; tinny sound, uncomfortable, battery lasted maybe 2-3 hours. I returned them and bought the Taotronics.

Soldato
I haven't timed it, but they certainly last a reasonable amount of time. I had a pair of Kitsound ones before which were awful; tinny sound, uncomfortable, battery lasted maybe 2-3 hours. I returned them and bought the Taotronics.

Nice. I have a birthday coming up in six weeks or so, and was thinking of asking my wife for a pair of the Sony WI-C400 headphones, which are slated to have a 30-hour battery life. Realistically, though, eight hours should be plenty off one charge, and these are a third of the price of the Sony ones.

The more I play with the camera on this phone the more I like it, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to photography, so has anyone found a good guide to the camera? I've read and watched at least a dozen guides and reviews, but they mostly seem to focus on showing off the camera's capabilites or comparing it to others. I want something like a dummy's guide to the camera and all its settings. The offical instructions aren't detailed enough to really help here either.

Associate
How is signal reception?

Better than any Samsung phone I've owned (S7 Edge, S8+, Note 8.

Anyone know if tracking numbers are given for the headphones? My claim was completed on Wednesday, was just wondering if I should expect a tracking# at some point or if it will just turn up.

Back
Top Bottom