**** The Official Huawei P20 Thread ****

Sgarrista
Commissario
2. When on mobile data it will occasionally just stop loading webpages. The progress bar gets to about a fifth of the screen width and then stops. This happens even when I know there's good mobile data connection - sometimes it will still show 4G+ and sometimes it will have dropped to showing E even though there is a 4G connection available (in these cases, restarting the phone gets it back to 4G again).

The only thing ive noticed is it seems a bit too proactive in switching to the best connection. Eg it can be connected to my wifi, but if I sit outside on the garden bench its at this weird range where it keeps flipflopping between the wifi and 4g depending on the best signal, if I move closer to the house it stays wifi, if I move further away it stays 4g.

Needs to just be a bit stickier on choosing one or the other.

Soldato
The only thing ive noticed is it seems a bit too proactive in switching to the best connection. Eg it can be connected to my wifi, but if I sit outside on the garden bench its at this weird range where it keeps flipflopping between the wifi and 4g depending on the best signal, if I move closer to the house it stays wifi, if I move further away it stays 4g.

Yes, I've noticed this too. My SGS5 was terrible for this too, though, so much so that I just turned that option off on that phone. The P20 Pro seems a bit better, but I'd still rather it stick my wifi more consistently when inside the house.

I've not actually noticed either of the other two issues since I posted, so fingers crossed they were just temporary/rare aberrations.

Soldato

That's meant to be a feature. It'll automatically switch to the best available connection. For normal behaviour, go in to Wi-Fi settings and disable Wi-Fi+.

Soldato
Anyone using the p20 Pro in dual sim version?

Looking to move from my op3 which I can currently make and receive calls on both sims at the same time (but not simultaneously). Which is great for personal and work use as don't have to carry 2 phones etc.

Can I definitely do the same on the p20 Pro?

Looking to buy sim free as I have a pretty good sim deal already plus work provided sim. Has anyone used Clove before? They seem to be one of few offering the dual sim version with not a terrible lead time.

Soldato

Looking to move from my op3 which I can currently make and receive calls on both sims at the same time (but not simultaneously). Which is great for personal and work use as don't have to carry 2 phones etc.

Looking to buy sim free as I have a pretty good sim deal already plus work provided sim. Has anyone used Clove before? They seem to be one of few offering the dual sim version with not a terrible lead time.

Can't speak for dual sim capability, but Clove are decent :)

Soldato
I'm claim 21XXX - but I got an email response saying that part of my evidence wasn't clear. Only a 2mb scan of the receipt. :rolleyes: I had to re-upload it used photoshop to highlight where the dates were.

Soldato

I got the regular P20 specifically for the Super LCD screen, I love OLED but it screen burns too easily when you use your phone for Waze every day commuting. But relevant to your question, I did a lot of research into the dual sim version and the general consensus was that Three contracts was the only place that had dual sim handsets. On a different forum (maybe XDA?) people were taking out the cheapest 24 month handset, cancelling and paying the full contract, which in the small print offers a 25% discount on the full contract value.

I hope the above makes sense.

Soldato
Clove were definitely selling dual sim models, unclear as to what their stock position was though.

Ended up ordering one from Amazon, a long running third party with good feedback had a couple of dual sim models in stock. Cashed in a load of corporate perks points and got that and a spigen case at a good price.

Should arrive Tuesday. Least I'll be covered by amazon if it doesn't show..!

Associate
Still really liking it. Looks great (twilight), best looking phone for me. Great pics, visible screen in the sun. Everything is responsive.
Thing that stands out most to me is the battery. Im getting 2 days with 6.5hr screen on time. 1 day i finished with 21% battery, was already 8hrs sot.
The one thing disappointing me at the moment is no hdr. I have seen it advertised as having hdr. But when i try youtube, netflix and amazon, i have no hdr support. I read others saying they have, so i presume its coming in a firmware update.

Soldato
Gone quiet in here now that everyone has their headphones. How are people finding it now after more usage?

Liking it a great deal. Think it's the best phone of this generation for what I'm looking for. I don't personally like the look of the curved edge screen on the S9s, never have when I've seen earlier Galaxy S models. I like how on the P20 Pro with the notch, small chin and option to remove soft keys, you get a front that looks pretty much all screen, but flat without distorting curves at the edges.

One of the best things is that the battery life in this phone is really exceptional - I'm basically just charging it every other day with normal use and I didn't think I'd see that with a phone ever again. I like how fast the fingerprint reader and face recognition are, and it pretty much unlocks the instant I pick it up and look at it.

I did wonder how well I'd get on with EMUI, but it seems like a nice system and with Nova launcher everything works very well. I definitely prefer EMUI to the Touchwiz in my old phone.

The camera is far better than I've owned before and I've taken some shots with it that I'm really pleased with. The software is a bit over-aggressive at times, it's screwed up the colours on some shots, and I'm still a bit lost in all the settings, but 3x optical/5x hybrid (and it's a very good hybrid) zoom and night mode are features not found on any other phone and outweigh the software shortcomings, I think. Oh, also the dedicated monochrome lens takes some lovely mono shots that look much better than software forced mono.

I don't care about 4k OIS video, so the lack of that option isn't an issue for me, though I understand it's a deal-breaker for some. Lack of wireless charging is also a bit disappointing, but as I've never used it I guess I'm not missing anything.

Overall, I'd make the same decision again choosing a current get phone.

EDIT: Oh, there is one annoying bug/fault that I really hope is fixed in an update. I have had the issue I posted about above, where the Wifi+ will switch to mobile data when I stray too far from my router, but then it won't switch back, and will give "network access denied" errors when trying to manually reconnect until I switch wifi off for a few seconds and then back on. This is still annoying as it mean I need to be watchful for when it's using my mobile data. It doesn't happen every time by any means - perhaps once every couple of days it seems at the moment - but it is something I really hope is fixed at some point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom