Flat earth brigade - I have no words

Man of Honour
It's true. Lots of people have boobs. Nothing noteworthy about that. But how many people have you seen with runes tattooed on them? That's far more interesting.

There's a woman in the Witton Chimes at Northwich who is covered in Egyptian Hieroglyphs and other Egyptian stuff and she caught me looking at her boobs.
We got talking and with permission off my wife we went to a quiet spot in the corridor and she showed me a few more :)

Soldato
I wouldnt agree with Cox's drivel comment, like someone just made it up.

The fact is lots of people at one time did think the earth was flat. So 'logically' based on the knowledge back then the earth was flat.

These days we know, using advanced technology that the earth is round.

I think this is more a case of distrust of the media than anything else.

Caporegime

The fact is lots of people at one time did think the earth was flat. So 'logically' based on the knowledge back then the earth was flat.

Actually, it was not really common knowledge that the earth was flat. The Ancient greeks knew it was a sphere, and even calculated its radius quite accurately. Academics throughout history since then believed in a spherical earth for the most part once knowledge spread. You don;t need advanced technology to know the earth is a sphere, you can see the curvature quite readily going up a mountain, or do visibility tests over the ocean. Of course plenty of people without education probably thought it was flat, but they probably also didn't pay it that much attention.

Man of Honour

The idea that the Earth is flat is a recent idea. It can only be traced back as far as the 19th century at most. It has never been the case that "lots of people" have ever thought that the Earth is flat. It's a modern idea with a small number of followers, many or all of whom are just trolling and don't actually believe it. So yes, it's drivel that someone made up. Recently.

I expect that lots of people in the past didn't know or care what shape the Earth is, but that doesn't mean they thought it was flat. It just means that their concerns were more local. To a neolithic farmer, for example, the only shape of the Earth that mattered was the shape of the land they farmed (because that affected what they could grow, where they could grow it and how much of it they could grow) and the shape of the Earth in the local area (because that affected trade to some extent and maybe the possibility of attacks by raiders). Why would they care whether the Earth was flat, spherical or a dodecahedron? They might idly consider it while doing some farming. They might idly discuss it over a few beers with some friends. But they'd be very unlikely to care about it or give it much thought.

The Earth can be proven to be round using no technology more advanced than something to draw on and something to draw with. An ape millions of years ago had enough technology to prove that the Earth is round. For example, the earliest known surviving formal proof of the shape of the Earth is an ancient Greek paper that did so from naked eye observations of the moon, drawings of those observations and maths(*). The only technology required was, entirely literally, something to draw on and something to draw with. The only inaccuracy in that proof is that they writer concluded that the Earth is perfectly spherical. That was the limit imposed by the lack of advanced technology - with just eyes and a pen they couldn't measure and record accurately enough to discern the tiny variation from a perfect sphere. It's likely that people before then knew the earth was spherical - that's the oldest known extant proof but that doesn't mean it was the first proof. For example, Egyptians had sufficient knowledge of astronomy and maths earlier, so they could have done it earlier.

* Quick summary of the proof - astronomical observations showed that the shadow cast by the Earth on the moon was always part of a circle regardless of the angles between the sun, earth and moon. Maths showed that the only shape that casts a circular shadow from all directions is a sphere. Therefore the earth is a sphere.

Man of Honour
I’m going up stairs now to finish painting my astrological star chart.

astrology.jpg

Associate
The idea that the Earth is flat is a recent idea. It can only be traced back as far as the 19th century at most. It has never been the case that "lots of people" have ever thought that the Earth is flat. It's a modern idea with a small number of followers, many or all of whom are just trolling and don't actually believe it. So yes, it's drivel that someone made up. Recently.

I expect that lots of people in the past didn't know or care what shape the Earth is, but that doesn't mean they thought it was flat. It just means that their concerns were more local. To a neolithic farmer, for example, the only shape of the Earth that mattered was the shape of the land they farmed (because that affected what they could grow, where they could grow it and how much of it they could grow) and the shape of the Earth in the local area (because that affected trade to some extent and maybe the possibility of attacks by raiders). Why would they care whether the Earth was flat, spherical or a dodecahedron? They might idly consider it while doing some farming. They might idly discuss it over a few beers with some friends. But they'd be very unlikely to care about it or give it much thought.

The Earth can be proven to be round using no technology more advanced than something to draw on and something to draw with. An ape millions of years ago had enough technology to prove that the Earth is round. For example, the earliest known surviving formal proof of the shape of the Earth is an ancient Greek paper that did so from naked eye observations of the moon, drawings of those observations and maths(*). The only technology required was, entirely literally, something to draw on and something to draw with. The only inaccuracy in that proof is that they writer concluded that the Earth is perfectly spherical. That was the limit imposed by the lack of advanced technology - with just eyes and a pen they couldn't measure and record accurately enough to discern the tiny variation from a perfect sphere. It's likely that people before then knew the earth was spherical - that's the oldest known extant proof but that doesn't mean it was the first proof. For example, Egyptians had sufficient knowledge of astronomy and maths earlier, so they could have done it earlier.

* Quick summary of the proof - astronomical observations showed that the shadow cast by the Earth on the moon was always part of a circle regardless of the angles between the sun, earth and moon. Maths showed that the only shape that casts a circular shadow from all directions is a sphere. Therefore the earth is a sphere.
I think it may be the case that some people will say anything just to get on TV. Can they really, honestly be that dense?

Soldato
No, there are people who genuinely believe it. I know a couple :(
In one case, the 'smokes too much weed, not happy with his own life and blames external forces for his own lack of whatever' stereotype is true.

Man of Honour
I think it may be the case that some people will say anything just to get on TV. Can they really, honestly be that dense?

Yes, yes they can.

It's not necessarily a lack of intelligence (though it often is) or even a lack of education (though it almost always is). There's a peculiar attraction to having simple answers to everything, to being part of a special group, to having Secret Knowledge and to self-identifying as an oppressed group. So any old conspiracy belief will attract some people, no matter how bizarre it is, and some will gain a lot of traction. If a defined enemy group is added to blame for everything, the ideology can really take off as the two parts of it (conspiracy belief, enemy group) feed off each other. Hence, for example, belief in "the patriarchy", "Zionism", etc.

Back
Top Bottom