PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - Thread

Associate
Enjoying the new map, good change of pace. Some instances of horrendous FPS though. Dropped into boot camp other day with a lot of people. First minute or so FPS all over the place, dropping to 33 at one point :O. I keep thinking "oh crap circle is miles away", then you start running and are there in 30secs, keep forgetting its smaller :). Quite often get killed near the end and check death cam and there's like 2-4 squads all around that hadn't been spotted yet, so cramped :).

Associate
As I say, for 90% of the game, there is no skill involved. The 10% skill comes from knowing the maps like you mention and being able to aim/out smart players and getting to the end game, and the end game is where your skill will show. But any game that relies on loot or rng based elements can not be a skill based game. Ever. Plenty of people hold that opinion.

It's all very well saying "there is loot if you know where to go", which is great, but you might not be able to go there if the flight path is rubbish or if it's directly over so it's a busier than normal drop, in which case you have to rely on the building you landing at having a gun in. Also, you might think certain places are consistently good loot, but they aren't, the nature of loot tables prevent that from being the case. Whenever I land in Rozhok, I always land at the same building, and the loot is never the same. Some times I'll land and get an Kar98 with a 4x and an M4 nearly kitted out and can go on a charge, other times I'll land and there won't be a single gun in the building and the guy next door is kitted up and blows me away. Where's the skill involved in that? I might be a better player than him but because the game screwed me over with loot, I can't really use my skill as I don't have a weapon to attack, you could argue that the skill is being able to run away and get kitted up to stay in the game, but in a busy drop like Rozhok, again, you're at the mercy of who landed where.

I love the game, I'm not trying to discredit its success or take away from the fact that you can be good at the game. But your skill is worth nothing if the game feels like dealing you an unlucky hand and giving you no loot. I mentioned the end game, even then, as much as there is skill involved, the circle can screw you over and give someone who is terrible a brilliant position, skillful players will sometimes be able to overcome that but again, there's random element to it, which prevents it being all about skill

This sounds a little like an old topic I used to discuss at end. Poker.

Many people think Poker is not about skill and it's all luck, but it's far from it, hence why there are pros making millions from playing the game.
It's the same with PUBG, there's an RNG element to it and you can be dealt a bad hand, which you can do nothing about. But it's all about using your skill to observe/react to maximise your chance of survival.

I'm the same as you, I can drop into a game, get completely RNG'd out of the game, but the great thing about it, you can be in your next game in 2-3 minutes. I fear I may lose my life to this game :p:cool:

Associate
:confused:
This sounds a little like an old topic I used to discuss at end. Poker.

Many people think Poker is not about skill and it's all luck, but it's far from it, hence why there are pros making millions from playing the game.
It's the same with PUBG, there's an RNG element to it and you can be dealt a bad hand, which you can do nothing about. But it's all about using your skill to observe/react to maximise your chance of survival.

I'm the same as you, I can drop into a game, get completely RNG'd out of the game, but the great thing about it, you can be in your next game in 2-3 minutes. I fear I may lose my life to this game :p:cool:

Last time I tried bluffing the guy coming at me that I had an AR - he just laughed and blew my head off :confused:

Soldato
As I say, for 90% of the game, there is no skill involved. The 10% skill comes from knowing the maps like you mention and being able to aim/out smart players and getting to the end game, and the end game is where your skill will show. But any game that relies on loot or rng based elements can not be a skill based game. Ever. Plenty of people hold that opinion.

It's all very well saying "there is loot if you know where to go", which is great, but you might not be able to go there if the flight path is rubbish or if it's directly over so it's a busier than normal drop, in which case you have to rely on the building you landing at having a gun in. Also, you might think certain places are consistently good loot, but they aren't, the nature of loot tables prevent that from being the case. Whenever I land in Rozhok, I always land at the same building, and the loot is never the same. Some times I'll land and get an Kar98 with a 4x and an M4 nearly kitted out and can go on a charge, other times I'll land and there won't be a single gun in the building and the guy next door is kitted up and blows me away. Where's the skill involved in that? I might be a better player than him but because the game screwed me over with loot, I can't really use my skill as I don't have a weapon to attack, you could argue that the skill is being able to run away and get kitted up to stay in the game, but in a busy drop like Rozhok, again, you're at the mercy of who landed where.

I love the game, I'm not trying to discredit its success or take away from the fact that you can be good at the game. But your skill is worth nothing if the game feels like dealing you an unlucky hand and giving you no loot. I mentioned the end game, even then, as much as there is skill involved, the circle can screw you over and give someone who is terrible a brilliant position, skillful players will sometimes be able to overcome that but again, there's random element to it, which prevents it being all about skill
finally someone with an ounce of wit.

the amount of gibberish posted in here about skill, or lack thereof is weird and embarrasing.

you can drop the same building 100 times and each and everytime you will walk away with a different loot loadout. folk are just spouting their preferences as fact. rozhok is no good this week and great the next. pochinki is great now and crap next week. on and on it goes. drop where you want, it makes little to no difference, the rng will give you what it wants irrespective how good/clever/pro you think you are.

Soldato
you can drop the same building 100 times and each and everytime you will walk away with a different loot loadout. folk are just spouting their preferences as fact. rozhok is no good this week and great the next. pochinki is great now and crap next week. on and on it goes. drop where you want, it makes little to no difference, the rng will give you what it wants irrespective how good/clever/pro you think you are.

That's not the point others are making though.

I'm sure we can all agree RNG plays a big factor in the loot you get in any one building you drop into. But over 10, 20, 30 buildings the RNG factor goes down and you are going to get enough kit to build your game around.

So if you know that is the case, then you should maximise your chances of survival by skipping the towns or hot drops so that you can look through more buildings before you encounter an enemy. If after 10 houses you still can't find an AR then fine, you have been well and truly shafted. But by giving yourself a bit of time before you hit contact you have removed the extreme highs/lows of RNG from your game because there isn't someone next to you with an AR when you have dropped and only found yourself some bullet loops.

If you don't like gambling with the RNG then drop somewhere quiet and give yourself a better chance.

Caporegime
nah dissagree kwango.nothing wrong with different opinions. the skill is limiting the probability to favour you.there are high yield buildings which will almost everytime have good gear. pochinki is bad roshok is.not only for the loot but because you have little chance of getting out.

as i said if you dropping in bad spots it shows lack of skill.game knowledge.

if it was untrue then people saying it would win more games.instead of being silver or gold.:p

notice how the game is always broke bad or unskilled then you check their stats and most of the time they struggling .

Soldato
That's not the point others are making though.
it is the point. there are those that are claiming long dropping to be some sort of skill. it's not.

i agree with the rest of your post, of course if you long/remote drop and have the time to loot a load of buidlings you're lessening the effect of rng. but, and this just my personal opinion you got to temper that with the 'fun' - for me looting for 15 minutes to make sure i have a decent weapon load out only to get kar98'd to the head anyway isn't fun. i'd rather drop relatively hot and hope rng is good to me.

Caporegime
where i drop instant loot .done.no 15 minute loot. instant loot. drop right with less risk.the problem is as said many havent played enough or play the game right to lessen the probability.those players dont listen or learn.

i played the game over 1800 hrs now. if some listened you would do better instantly. just trying to share bit of game knowledge.

as pointed out and as you are suggesting kwango you like to drop hot and " hope " the loot is good.

hope isnt good.especially on a hot drop.

drop on better places remove or lower the probability.change your game if you doing badly.you will instantly do better.that is skill.

Soldato
nah dissagree kwango.nothing wrong with different opinions. the skill is limiting the probability to favour you.there are high yield buildings which will almost everytime have good gear. pochinki is bad roshok is.not only for the loot but because you have little chance of getting out.

as i said if you dropping in bad spots it shows lack of skill.game knowledge.

if it was untrue then people saying it would win more games.instead of being silver or gold.:p

notice how the game is always broke bad or unskilled then you check their stats and most of the time they struggling .
lets be honest game knowledge isn't a skill. it's not a clever, unusual talent. yea, learn the maps. of course everyone should do that but it's not a skill as such. you say now pochinki is bad, but go back a few pages and you'll find your posts about pochinki being the best spot to drop. this is what i'm talking about, personal opinion being stated as a fact - you've moved on from dropping pochinki so now it's automatically no good. pochinki is perfeclty fine to drop and you will get gear if the rng is in your favour. it's no different to yas, school, george. btw, i think pochinki is aids :p

this banging on about skill being so important is silly. yea course there's skill invloved, if you can't shoot straight all the loot in the world wont save you! but there's so much rng invloved that skill plays a small small part until probably the last or second last circle. you can play the game as skilfully as you want but if that other guy has been luckier with the circle you're almost cenrtainly goosed, if that other guy is lucky enough to spot you as you vault that wall or crouch that tree you're goosed. there's so much luck invloved in this game that skill becomes a relatively small deciding factor in the game. that shot you thought came from NE but really came SW because sounds are almost rng'd too.......you're looking NE and the guy with the kar98 is standing behind you 4x'ing the back of your skull - skill ain't saving you there :p

Soldato
where i drop instant loot .done.no 15 minute loot. instant loot. drop right with less risk.the problem is as said many havent played enough or play the game right to lessen the probability.those players dont listen or learn.

i played the game over 1800 hrs now. if some listened you would do better instantly. just trying to share bit of game knowledge.

as pointed out and as you are suggesting kwango you like to drop hot and " hope " the loot is good.

hope isnt good.especially on a hot drop.

drop on better places remove or lower the probability.change your game if you doing badly.you will instantly do better.that is skill.
wow. i've played with you in game so i know you're not a bad guy but jesus debating with you is like herding cats. you're still trying to portray your opinion as fact. everytime you drop, irrespective where it is you are hoping the loot is good. that is a fact, why? because loot is produced by rng. where is this exactly you drop that has insta loot everytime?

Soldato
Have you not met DG before? It wasnt long ago he was predicting PUBG was a flash in the pan compared to H1Z1 ;)
in fairness i've always been in the 'what ever dg says turn upside down and you'll get closer to the truth'! :p

but having played with him he's actually a good lad and a decent team player - i'll say this.......he'll be the first to try and rez you, give you cover fire or offer loot - it's just debating with him takes the patience of a saint. but that's usually the case with people who believe their fantasies to be true!!

Caporegime
i take in others opinions i just dont agree.the original debate was there is no skill in pubg.which there is.you dont have to agree but if there isnt no skill why do other people win more than others frequently ? it isnt luck.its skill.

skill in choosing locations.routes and gunplay. teamplay all mounts up. play with people who understand this you will more games.pretty simple. as said thats why some people stay at 1700-1900.once you go 2000+ its a whole different game.thats why there is only two players on ocuk who have that rating this season. me and locky. guess who play together. :D

just to illustrate what im talking about kwango has played 169 games and won 3 games. 1761 score

Last edited:
Man of Honour
In fairness to DG there are buildings on both Erangel and Miramar that spawn on average higher tier loot (I'm ignoring military spots).
On Erangel it's the red double mansions, concentrated spots are in South George and Yas but are almost always contested. These buildings are dotted around for easier loot though in some small compounds, example being between Mansion and Lipovka. Another compound East of Prison, also one between Mylta and Mylta Power Mini.

Miramar you pretty much just look for any small compounds with the 'concrete buildings', loads of them West of San Martin. You can find these dotted all around Miramar tbh, the red brick warehouses are good too.

There's a fairly easy set of 'rules' to follow to attain high rating in this game but it got a bit stale for me.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its down to luck, then a little map knowledge, then even more luck if the circle screws you, then a little more luck, then in the last 5 (in squads) some skill and yes a little bit of luck.

The amount of people who actually know where you are is also luck :).... just sayin

Soldato
i take in others opinions i just dont agree.the original debate was there is no skill in pubg.which there is.you dont have to agree but if there isnt no skill why do other people win more than others frequently ? it isnt luck.its skill.

skill in choosing locations.routes and gunplay. teamplay all mounts up. play with people who understand this you will more games.pretty simple. as said thats why some people stay at 1700-1900.once you go 2000+ its a whole different game.thats why there is only two players on ocuk who have that rating this season. me and locky. guess who play together. :D

just to illustrate what im talking about kwango has played 169 games and won 3 games. 1761 score

see the bit i highlighted in your post.....that's luck mate. pure and simple.

worry not about my score matey, i play the way i play because i enjoy it. not because i need to see stats telling me how good/bad a player i am.

Caporegime
the stats dont lie. you do better you have a higher score. pretty simple.

how is choosing location luck ? :confused::D
how is choosing a route in between places with less probability of people ambushing you luck ? :confused::D
how is being better at aiming and killing people more accurately luck ? :confused::D

@Shimmy yeah stat playing is a grind.every game matters.you cant slip up.for eg at moment i have to come top 3 to get 0 points :D . i normally do a month of tryharding.then play for fun month after.

Associate
I like this debate. It has convinced me that I am not, in fact, on the bad side of mediocre but purely unlucky.

And like a sad, deluded gambler at the craps table I shall be back on tonight for one more roll of the PUBG dice.

Back
Top Bottom