FIFA World Cup 2018 - Quarter-finals [6/7 July] **spoilers**

Caporegime
Really?? Are you really suggesting Belgium have been lucky?? Personally out of all the teams remaining they have impressed me the most.

Really?? Are you really suggesting Belgium haven't been lucky?? They're only still in the competition because of pure luck, before the Vertonghen complete fluke against Japan they were being outplayed and heading out.

That goal, probably the luckiest of the entire competition turned the game around so yes, i'm saying Belgium have been lucky.

Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
Really?? Are you really suggesting Belgium haven't been lucky?? They're only still in the competition because of pure luck, before the Vertonghen complete fluke against Japan they were being outplayed and heading out.

That goal, probably the luckiest of the entire competition turned the game around so yes, i'm saying Belgium have been lucky.

I have watched a good 80% of matches this world cup and all knockout games. Japan in my opinion were the most hard done by out of all of them. They bossed Belgium for that first two thirds but completely collapsed after that first goal. France have been mediocre at best throughout the whole competition. They beat a Uruguay squad without Cavani and an extremely poor Argentina team that hasn't had a clue.

On the flip side we beat a strong Colombia side that only lost its first group game because it had a player sent off and beat France earlier in the year. Sweden topped their group and beat both France and Italy in qualifying. Also knocking out the Swiss which haven't lost a game for a long time.

Without a doubt we have had an easier ride but so have many of the past winners but you do not get to the semi final of a World Cup without being any good. If we beat Croatia I have every faith we will be a hard team to beat in the final.

Soldato
I'm curious, is England the home of football? When was it home, why did it leave home, and how long will it be home when it comes home?

Yes
Combination of poor managers, players more interested in club football over national, lack of home grown talent....and of course cheating ;)
Young side only going to get better, all depends on the others

Caporegime
ENgland invented football as well as cricket,rugby and tennis

Nope that will be the Chinese.

The very earliest form of the game for which there is scientific evidence was an exercise from a military manual dating back to the second and third centuries BC in China.

This Han Dynasty forebear of football was called Tsu' Chu and it consisted of kicking a leather ball filled with feathers and hair through an opening, measuring only 30-40cm in width, into a small net fixed onto long bamboo canes. According to one variation of this exercise, the player was not permitted to aim at his target unimpeded, but had to use his feet, chest, back and shoulders while trying to withstand the attacks of his opponents. Use of the hands was not permitted.

Linky

Another

Soldato
I have watched a good 80% of matches this world cup and all knockout games. Japan in my opinion were the most hard done by out of all of them. They bossed Belgium for that first two thirds but completely collapsed after that first goal. France have been mediocre at best throughout the whole competition. They beat a Uruguay squad without Cavani and an extremely poor Argentina team that hasn't had a clue.

On the flip side we beat a strong Colombia side that only lost its first group game because it had a player sent off and beat France earlier in the year. Sweden topped their group and beat both France and Italy in qualifying. Also knocking out the Swiss which haven't lost a game for a long time.

Without a doubt we have had an easier ride but so have many of the past winners but you do not get to the semi final of a World Cup without being any good. If we beat Croatia I have every faith we will be a hard team to beat in the final.
Japan were outstanding in that game and pretty unfortunate to lose. But fair play to Belgium - they took advantage where they needed to and got the result.

Caporegime
England established the rules of association football, and as such created the game of football as we know it today.

Nope the English just added rules to a game that already existed.

And to be fair, even with those rules the game is still pretty much exactly what the Chinese invented, (apart from making the game far easier by making the net much bigger) it is still one bloke trying to keep hold of a ball and get it into a net, while others try to attack him physically. :p:p

Back
Top Bottom