DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Associate
OP
I guess one metric would be that whenever a tech website reviews or recommends a gaming laptop, an MSi is often, though not always, recommended to readers and this unfortunate episode regarding the GT72 and GT80 is never mentioned anywhere. For some people, MSi became known in the first place a few years ago because of the strong challenge they posed to Alienware in the gaming laptop market, especially when they released the Dragon edition, though luckily several other challengers have emerged since then.

Another would be, for better or worse, noted websites do recommend them still as a top manufacturer such as Engadget:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/15/best-and-worst-gaming-laptop-brands-2017/

When this first occurred I spoke to various tech websites and asked them to take on the story, was advised that if anything negative was reflected about MSI, MSI would not provide test units to review. Thus losing them readership to competitor websites.

Associate
When this first occurred I spoke to various tech websites and asked them to take on the story, was advised that if anything negative was reflected about MSI, MSI would not provide test units to review. Thus losing them readership to competitor websites.

Just goes to show how corrupt review websites are :(

Great for consumers that...hard to find unbiased reviews.

Caporegime

Then it's a shame that the websites don't have some balls and run the story together. MSI are hardly going to be in a position of power if they refuse to provide review samples to the main tech websites that run the story.

Yep. I read that you would not buy MSI.

What’s your source and metric for the damage done to MSI’s reputation, I’m intrigued.
Ignore him, I think it is clear for everyone to see that he is a numpty who was just sounding off without any clear logic behind him.

Associate
Ignore him, I think it is clear for everyone to see that he is a numpty who was just sounding off without any clear logic behind him.

You're a pretty pathetic individual if all you can do is sling insults when you can't counter someone else's points. Then again, you do have a staggering 23,000+ posts on this forum and in my, limited, experience, it's pretty typical of internet dwellers who spend all their lives on forums to quickly resort to abuse of other members.

Misjah, that really does suck if it's true about websites worried about MSI's retaliation.

Man of Honour
Then again, you do have a staggering 23,000+ posts on this forum and in my, limited, experience, it's pretty typical of internet dwellers who spend all their lives on forums to quickly resort to abuse of other members.

Oooh snipey.

Soldato
You're a pretty pathetic individual if all you can do is sling insults when you can't counter someone else's points. Then again, you do have a staggering 23,000+ posts on this forum and in my, limited, experience, it's pretty typical of internet dwellers who spend all their lives on forums to quickly resort to abuse of other members.

Misjah, that really does suck if it's true about websites worried about MSI's retaliation.

That's trying to stereotype, not everyone with high post counts are abusers......

Soldato

That’s only 5 posts a day over the years.

Caporegime

The lady doth protest too much, methinks. ;)

Soldato
Misjah, I feel sorry for you, for sure, but really... you have to let it go now.

This thread is almost 2 years old now. This isn't a PR disaster for them, as you claim, because very few people know about this incident outside of this small sub-forum on Overclockers. Gaming PC's are an enthusiast market, but gaming laptops are even more of a niche, despite the huge strides made in the last few years at narrowing the gap with desktop PC''s. This thread hasn't done any damage to MSI whatsoever. MSI messed up for sure, and they definitely won't be making such promises again.

If it helps, this thread has probably put a few people off from buying MSI. I certainly wouldn't and bought an Alienware instead. MSI should have given you a free laptop as a goodwill gesture, but they didn't. Put them on your never-again list and just let it go now and let this thread die a sad lonely death.

I took MSI off my list after I saw this thread. Not just laptops, but I think that their ****** practices might leak into other areas so them in general. There's plenty of choice anyway.

I don't think he has to let it go though, why would he not keep us updated on it? Like the others have said (although not as fiercely), it's that way of thinking that lets companies screw customers over and get away with it.

Why should the thread die anyway? It's here to show everyone what they're like.

Associate
I recently bought a HTC Vive and have been enjoying VR, but VR doesn't work well with SLI. I am one of those who was happily owning a GT80 with 980Ms knowing I could upgrade its graphics when the day came. The day came and I'm sad to read that MSI has cancelled that possibility and treats their customers this way. Also to find out that if I did want to upgrade, the only offer had a deadline of 1.5 years in the past. I had no way to know that! It would have just taken an email letting me know the offer was available. This was a really expensive laptop and I feel really screwed over.

Thanks MiSJAH for being so diligent and keeping the information active all this time. I won't be buying from MSI anymore and will let others interested know this situation.

Associate
OP
I recently bought a HTC Vive and have been enjoying VR, but VR doesn't work well with SLI. I am one of those who was happily owning a GT80 with 980Ms knowing I could upgrade its graphics when the day came. The day came and I'm sad to read that MSI has cancelled that possibility and treats their customers this way. Also to find out that if I did want to upgrade, the only offer had a deadline of 1.5 years in the past. I had no way to know that! It would have just taken an email letting me know the offer was available. This was a really expensive laptop and I feel really screwed over.

Thanks MiSJAH for being so diligent and keeping the information active all this time. I won't be buying from MSI anymore and will let others interested know this situation.

Hey Eric,

I missed this post somehow....

You are welcome, feel free to spread the message about how MSI treats their high ticket customers.

Associate
OP
Loki said:
I would really really consider what you post in public if you are suggesting we are leaning on Overclockers to close your thread. You are suggesting we are coercing or forcing Overclockers to close the thread. At no time whatsoever have we suggested directly or indirectly to close the thread. Nor have we spoken to an OcUK forum mod or employee asking for the thread to be closed or removed.

Your suggestion is defamatory to the good name of MSI. If this line continues without any foundation whatosever then this will be left to our legal team to take further under the Defamation Act 2013. Suggesting we are leaning on Overclockers is damaging to our brand and reputation and we will seek immediate redress.

So a year and half later, my comments still stand in the thread and 'immediate redress' by MSI's legal team never materialised.

(Point of note; Loki is no longer a rep for MSI but now with ASUS ROG. Beware.)

Soldato
So a year and half later, my comments still stand in the thread and 'immediate redress' by MSI's legal team never materialised.

(Point of note; Loki is no longer a rep for MSI but now with ASUS ROG. Beware.)
So Loki was concerned about the reputation of MSI with regard to asking for the thread to be closed but the company seem to have zero concern for the reputational loss due to this whole shambles.

Guess his scare tactic didn’t work. Plonker.

Associate
OP
I'm sure they are hoping its all swept under the rug now.

Yeah, however when the US class action is finalised I expect the UK side to be re-motivated. And when Ampere, or whatever nvidia decide to call the next gen cards.

So Loki was concerned about the reputation of MSI with regard to asking for the thread to be closed but the company seem to have zero concern for the reputational loss due to this whole shambles.

Guess his scare tactic didn’t work. Plonker.

Yeah, t'was ironic.

Associate
i know im rly late but i just want to know one thing about this mxm upgrade,
is it matter if my varanty expired.
its 3 years when i bought my laptop and its time to upgrade, im registered MSI used and didnt get info about trade in programs or anything
and now im stuck with 980m

Associate
OP
i know im rly late but i just want to know one thing about this mxm upgrade,
is it matter if my varanty expired.
its 3 years when i bought my laptop and its time to upgrade, im registered MSI used and didnt get info about trade in programs or anything
and now im stuck with 980m

Email: [email protected]

If MSI UK give you any issues please reply here and we will highlight the error of their ways yet again.

Back
Top Bottom