DON'T BUY MSI THEY MIS-SOLD TOP SPEC GT SERIES LAPTOPS with MXM Graphics

Soldato
So demonstrating that it is easy and simple to make the upgrade, that MSI's major US based reseller offers the upgrade, doesn't persuade you, ok.

So only MSI stating that the upgrade is possible would persuade you?

Compatible and supported. Rroff made some good points on this yesterday, I won't repeat them. Of course it's physically possible, MXM is a standard.

I'm intrigued what was your purpose in contributing to this thread, was it to belittle my posts or simple to troll because you were bored?

Ah, that old chestnut .... "anyone that doesn't agree with me is a troll". Classy. How many trolls do you know that were here pre-forums Nuke?

Associate
OP
Compatible and supported. Rroff made some good points on this yesterday, I won't repeat them. Of course it's physically possible, MXM is a standard.

Which variant of MXM are you referring to as a standard, 3.0, 3.0B, 3.1? Who is responsible for the design of MXM standard Nvidia or the graphics card manufacturer?

Ah, that old chestnut .... "anyone that doesn't agree with me is a troll". Classy. How many trolls do you know that were here pre-forums Nuke?[/QUOTE]

I suggest you are trolling because you haven't read the entire thread to see what evidence has been historically presented whilst claiming there is no evidence of MSI lying. Oh, and you not answering what you would consider evidence to actually be.

(Just as an aside, I would like to thank you for keeping the thread active and helping make people aware of how MSI treat their high ticket customers).

Soldato
I suggest you are trolling because you haven't read the entire thread to see what evidence has been historically presented whilst claiming there is no evidence of MSI lying.

From yesterday:

I've read most of it over the couple of years it's been going on. No I've not re-read all 1200+ posts today. Work don't pay me for that unfortunately.

Caporegime
MISJAH it would maybe help if you did something like collect and summarize all of the important posts and put them within the first post of the thread in a logical date-ordered fashion. That way you wouldn't have to worry about people (understandably) not going through the whole thread to find relevant information. :)

Associate
OP
MISJAH it would maybe help if you did something like collect and summarize all of the important posts and put them within the first post of the thread in a logical date-ordered fashion. That way you wouldn't have to worry about people (understandably) not going through the whole thread to find relevant information. :)

Yeah, valid point.

Will update when I get the time.

Associate
Misjah, I feel sorry for you, for sure, but really... you have to let it go now.

This thread is almost 2 years old now. This isn't a PR disaster for them, as you claim, because very few people know about this incident outside of this small sub-forum on Overclockers. Gaming PC's are an enthusiast market, but gaming laptops are even more of a niche, despite the huge strides made in the last few years at narrowing the gap with desktop PC''s. This thread hasn't done any damage to MSI whatsoever. MSI messed up for sure, and they definitely won't be making such promises again.

If it helps, this thread has probably put a few people off from buying MSI. I certainly wouldn't and bought an Alienware instead. MSI should have given you a free laptop as a goodwill gesture, but they didn't. Put them on your never-again list and just let it go now and let this thread die a sad lonely death.

Associate
OP
Nearly 75,000 unique visitors to this thread.

I'll keep the thread active and updated as this situation is still ongoing in the US legal system.

Depending on the outcome of the class action case a similar suit will follow in the UK to claim back any costs for upgrading via the scam.

Don't feel sorry for me, I actively choose to upkeep this thread as owners were treated so badly.

Associate
It's not 75,000 unique visitors, it's 75,000 views. A lot of those views will be from the same people coming back again and again and reading this thread.

That lawsuit was filed over a year ago. Has anything actually moved forward with that?

Associate
OP
It's not 75,000 unique visitors, it's 75,000 views. A lot of those views will be from the same people coming back again and again and reading this thread.

That lawsuit was filed over a year ago. Has anything actually moved forward with that?

Odd, I've visited this page numerous times since you posted and the count has not increased, maybe as op it doesn't register my visits?

Caporegime
Misjah, I feel sorry for you, for sure, but really... you have to let it go now.

This thread is almost 2 years old now. This isn't a PR disaster for them, as you claim, because very few people know about this incident outside of this small sub-forum on Overclockers. Gaming PC's are an enthusiast market, but gaming laptops are even more of a niche, despite the huge strides made in the last few years at narrowing the gap with desktop PC''s. This thread hasn't done any damage to MSI whatsoever. MSI messed up for sure, and they definitely won't be making such promises again.

If it helps, this thread has probably put a few people off from buying MSI. I certainly wouldn't and bought an Alienware instead. MSI should have given you a free laptop as a goodwill gesture, but they didn't. Put them on your never-again list and just let it go now and let this thread die a sad lonely death.
He doesn't have to let anything go, so stop trying to be a pretentious and patronising so and so and let him fight back against MSI in the only way he can. This thread has undoubtedly cost MSI thousands in sales and reputational damage and if you are saying that doesn't matter to a profit based company, or that they do not still cringe every time they see this thread on one of the busiest PC forums in the world, then you are flat out wrong.

As MISJAH says there is still a court case ongoing and these things move slowly. I wasn't even affected by this and I am still interested in reading it because I like to see bad corporate behaviour get punished. If you aren't interested any longer then simply unsubscribe from the thread and don't worry about it, because otherwise I question why it bothers you in the slightest that this thread is still active.

Man of Honour
He probably works for MSI :p

I was going to buy a £2500/£3000 laptop from MSI but due to seeing this thread and the stinking attitude MSI have for their customers, I didn't buy it and got something else instead & I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Soldato
I recently bought an MSI laptop despite reading this thread. I have never had an issue with MSI, and I once had to use their warranty system, but I understand that some people do. Last year I had an issue with Samsung “Customer Service” and I won’t buy another Samsung product again.

Associate

he isn't after sympathy "you feel sorry for him", he wants what is right, big companies to stop doing stuff like this and just treat customers fairly.

Infact we need less lettuces like you o531 and more people willing to stand up for whats right, even if it's something small like a laptop.

if you have nothing to contribute to the thread why don't you leave it alone yourself?

And considering overclockers is a small subforum, this is a MASSIVE amount of views on this thread.

Also Misjah isn't just talking about it here, other forums also have over 400 pages of replies!!! many more views than this thread.

it seems you have a vested interest in protecting MSI by defending them? either you work for them or bought MSI shares or something....

either way, what is your point in posting defending a worthless company that lied to us?

Also i wouldn't touch MSI desktop either mate, not just after this but i've had friends with several DOA products form MSI, motherboards and gpus alike, buy it cheap buy it twice mate... think I learned this the hard way with MSI.

much rather buy an alienware purely as i know the service will be better or gigabyte etc.

edit: as you can see people avoided buying MSI latops, this is NOT what we wanted, however we wanted to SHARE the results, if people choose not to buy an MSI after reading the above, it's their INFORMED decision. Not a decision based on the fact they didn't know MSI did this, surely thats only fair? MSI didn't publish a lot on their website or attempt to contact affected purchasers of their laptop or put the word out on recalls to its laptop distributors even... so not only did they affect their own rep, but also probably several smaller resellers/distributors of their brand, i bet overclockers have had no end of customer complaints to deal with off the back of this....

Soldato
I recently bought an MSI laptop despite reading this thread. I have never had an issue with MSI, and I once had to use their warranty system, but I understand that some people do. Last year I had an issue with Samsung “Customer Service” and I won’t buy another Samsung product again.

What if there is a Samsung product in the PC you bought ?and any other products. It's like vegans eating Yorkshire pudding.

Associate
He doesn't have to let anything go, so stop trying to be a pretentious and patronising so and so and let him fight back against MSI in the only way he can. This thread has undoubtedly cost MSI thousands in sales and reputational damage and if you are saying that doesn't matter to a profit based company, or that they do not still cringe every time they see this thread on one of the busiest PC forums in the world, then you are flat out wrong.

As MISJAH says there is still a court case ongoing and these things move slowly. I wasn't even affected by this and I am still interested in reading it because I like to see bad corporate behaviour get punished. If you aren't interested any longer then simply unsubscribe from the thread and don't worry about it, because otherwise I question why it bothers you in the slightest that this thread is still active.

I wasn't patronising him at all. That's your own bizarre interpretation. Nor did I say that it doesn't matter if it, allegedly, cost MSI thousands in sales or reputational damage? Stop putting words in my mouth.

Indeed, where did I say that it bothers me in the slightest? I simply gave, unsolicited, advice that it's probably best to let this matter go rather than carry on clinging to it for years. Plenty of people have made spectacularly bad purchases on hundreds of established brands all over the world. No point in obsessing over it for years. Misjah wants to carry on doing it, then all all power to him.

You seem far more bothered. Relax.

He probably works for MSI :p

Conspiracy theories now lol. I actually said I won't ever buy MSI either. Prefer Alienware,

he isn't after sympathy "you feel sorry for him", he wants what is right, big companies to stop doing stuff like this and just treat customers fairly.

Infact we need less lettuces like you o531 and more people willing to stand up for whats right, even if it's something small like a laptop.

if you have nothing to contribute to the thread why don't you leave it alone yourself?

And considering overclockers is a small subforum, this is a MASSIVE amount of views on this thread.

Also Misjah isn't just talking about it here, other forums also have over 400 pages of replies!!! many more views than this thread.

it seems you have a vested interest in protecting MSI by defending them? either you work for them or bought MSI shares or something....

either way, what is your point in posting defending a worthless company that lied to us?

Also i wouldn't touch MSI desktop either mate, not just after this but i've had friends with several DOA products form MSI, motherboards and gpus alike, buy it cheap buy it twice mate... think I learned this the hard way with MSI.

much rather buy an alienware purely as i know the service will be better or gigabyte etc.

edit: as you can see people avoided buying MSI latops, this is NOT what we wanted, however we wanted to SHARE the results, if people choose not to buy an MSI after reading the above, it's their INFORMED decision. Not a decision based on the fact they didn't know MSI did this, surely thats only fair? MSI didn't publish a lot on their website or attempt to contact affected purchasers of their laptop or put the word out on recalls to its laptop distributors even... so not only did they affect their own rep, but also probably several smaller resellers/distributors of their brand, i bet overclockers have had no end of customer complaints to deal with off the back of this....

HOLY JESUS, what the hell is all this?? :O

Not even gonna bother giving a detailed response to this massive essay. I thought Richdog was bothered by what I wrote, but you have taken it as a personal attack. Don't care.

I'll state again, this has only done a small hit on MSI's reputational damage, if any. They've hardly gone bankrupt.

Associate
OP
o531 said:
Conspiracy theories now lol. I actually said I won't ever buy MSI either. Prefer Alienware,

I'll state again, this has only done a small hit on MSI's reputational damage, if any. They've hardly gone bankrupt.

Yep. I read that you would not buy MSI.

What’s your source and metric for the damage done to MSI’s reputation, I’m intrigued.

Associate
Yep. I read that you would not buy MSI.

What’s your source and metric for the damage done to MSI’s reputation, I’m intrigued.

I guess one metric would be that whenever a tech website reviews or recommends a gaming laptop, an MSi is often, though not always, recommended to readers and this unfortunate episode regarding the GT72 and GT80 is never mentioned anywhere. For some people, MSi became known in the first place a few years ago because of the strong challenge they posed to Alienware in the gaming laptop market, especially when they released the Dragon edition, though luckily several other challengers have emerged since then.

Another would be, for better or worse, noted websites do recommend them still as a top manufacturer such as Engadget:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/15/best-and-worst-gaming-laptop-brands-2017/

Back
Top Bottom