*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
OP
I do strong lifts 5x5 so I am doing the main heavy lifts....

I just added some shrugs and side raises to the Squat / Shoulder Press / Deadlift day as I felt my traps weren't getting much work (shrugs)....

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Man of Honour
https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/its-time-to-segregate-our-gyms (some strongish language within)

Love the rant this guy goes on. Funny, I was watching some of the CrossFit program on Netflix and it irked me no end in less than 10 minutes.

- they call the people who win their competition the ‘fittest in the world’. Yes, really!
- they claim performance enhancing drugs are rare in CrossFit because friends training with friends wouldn’t cheat against each other due to the community aspect, even though nearly all of the top crossfitters are said to train on their own.
- the ‘fittest guy in the world’ looks like he has been juicing all his life
- those ‘pull ups’. Geez.

Not a fan :D

Soldato
https://www.t-nation.com/opinion/its-time-to-segregate-our-gyms (some strongish language within)

Love the rant this guy goes on. Funny, I was watching some of the CrossFit program on Netflix and it irked me no end in less than 10 minutes.

- they call the people who win their competition the ‘fittest in the world’. Yes, really!
- they claim performance enhancing drugs are rare in CrossFit because friends training with friends wouldn’t cheat against each other due to the community aspect, even though nearly all of the top crossfitters are said to train on their own.
- the ‘fittest guy in the world’ looks like he has been juicing all his life
- those ‘pull ups’. Geez.

Not a fan :D

One of the FB groups I go on had a female CF Games athlete come in the other day asking for PED advice, not realising it was one of the biggest evdience-based groups on the site. Drug use is rampant in their sport.

I don't have any beef with the kipping (pull-ups, T2B, HSPUs etc) - it's not like it's for strength/hypertrophy - any more than I do with ultra wide sumos or huge bench arches. Sports make rules and people exploit the wording.

Associate
PEDs are rampant in all sports to be fair.

I don't understand the love for crossfit, anyone who likes to deadlift over 8 reps is just weird :D

Soldato
Anyone here struggled with golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis)? If so, how did you deal with it apart from rest, ice, etc?

About 6 weeks ago I got a bit carried away with pull ups. Two days later I had a twinge in my elbow which over the following few weeks got worse. It's now at the point where I can't hold a bag of shopping without pain and even pushing down on a bread knife to cut a sandwich hurts quite a bit. I just wrongly assumed it was a strain that would heal itself.

I spent a few hours online last night self diagnosing "tut tut". I'm 99% certain it's golfers elbow due to the specific location and the way the pain flares up when my wrist is moved certain ways.

I've ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KGOMBC/ as a bunch of videos I saw recommended a daily regime of light exercise to deal with the problem, not sure it it'll work but for £20 it's worth a try.

Finally for anyone who asks why I haven't been to my doctors yet, it's simply because I got fobbed off over 3 appointments for near crippling upper back pain with hundreds of paracetamol tablet prescriptions a few years back. I did get both a 2nd and 3rd opinion but I was just given ways to handle the pain rather than the cause.

Man of Honour
Anyone here struggled with golfers elbow (medial epicondylitis)? If so, how did you deal with it apart from rest, ice, etc?

About 6 weeks ago I got a bit carried away with pull ups. Two days later I had a twinge in my elbow which over the following few weeks got worse. It's now at the point where I can't hold a bag of shopping without pain and even pushing down on a bread knife to cut a sandwich hurts quite a bit. I just wrongly assumed it was a strain that would heal itself.

I spent a few hours online last night self diagnosing "tut tut". I'm 99% certain it's golfers elbow due to the specific location and the way the pain flares up when my wrist is moved certain ways.

I've ordered one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000KGOMBC/ as a bunch of videos I saw recommended a daily regime of light exercise to deal with the problem, not sure it it'll work but for £20 it's worth a try.

Finally for anyone who asks why I haven't been to my doctors yet, it's simply because I got fobbed off over 3 appointments for near crippling upper back pain with hundreds of paracetamol tablet prescriptions a few years back. I did get both a 2nd and 3rd opinion but I was just given ways to handle the pain rather than the cause.

I had tennis elbow for a long time, and the only thing that helped was eccentric reverse wrist curls. Hurt like something hurt-y but symptoms reduced in about two weeks.

This was after two weeks of nothing other than RICE to get any systemic inflammation down. Epicondylitis is a long term thing so whatever you decide to do (therabands, aka marital aids) are meant to be beneficial for tennis elvoe, so good luck and let us know what works. :)

Also, work on your shoulder mobility and upper back mobility, too, as it sound like something higher up is not helping.

Soldato
Just checked my body fat percentage. Now sitting at 11.0% I was pretty surprised considering my cutting hasn't been great over the last 6 weeks or so due to lots of nights out drinking and missing sessions. Still aiming for 10%!

Soldato
OP
Just checked my body fat percentage. Now sitting at 11.0% I was pretty surprised considering my cutting hasn't been great over the last 6 weeks or so due to lots of nights out drinking and missing sessions. Still aiming for 10%!

how you calculating bf?

Soldato
Are there any downsides to flipping a PPL workout programme so that I do LPP? I want to do a six day PPL but can't do it in the traditional order because I play football on a Wednesday and there's no way I could do legs and play football on the same day.

Back
Top Bottom