*** The 2016 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was at my biggest and strongest only spending maybe 40 minutes max in the gym 3-4 times a week, get in hit the big compounds hard and **** off.

People look at me strange when they ask what sort of routine I'd recommend and I give them a compound and maybe 2 accessory exercises for each workout. Then they start banging on about the million different isolation exercises they've read about and how many of them they should put into each session because more must be better right? Right!?

Compound builds better than isolation.

Associate
Now, if you are trying to get stronger (I.e. training for strength) then you want greater rests between your sets to cope with the heavy loading. But generally, if you are doing strength training you won't be doing as many sets/reps, anyway.

There is no hard and fast rule (e.g. after 1hr all your gains are gone - no), but it is just something to bear in mind whilst working out. Since cutting down my rest times to 30-60s, waiting 2 minutes between sets becomes excruciating. :)

And if you are working out for 2hrs in a stretch, that is going some! :)

I am trying to get stronger but only because it'll help with aesthetics i.e. stronger muscles = bigger muscles. I prefer higher rep ranges and super set type training as opposed to the typical powerlifting style of 5x5 and 3-5mins rest.

I'll give the routine a go and see how it goes. Thanks again for the advice.

Man of Honour
I am trying to get stronger but only because it'll help with aesthetics i.e. stronger muscles = bigger muscles.

Nope.

There are plenty of small guys who will pee all over a much bigger guys total.

Strength does not necessarily equal size and size does not necessarily equal strength.

Soldato
Stronger muscles have the capacity to be stronger given all other factors remain equal.

I still recommend strength work for those seeking aesthetics but it's mostly because it's fun :) it's not the only way to skin that cat.

Associate
I've read numerous times/places that it's better to gain a bit of strength first before switching to a hypertrophy type routine. I didn't mean small guys can't be strong :p

Caporegime
I've read numerous times/places that it's better to gain a bit of strength first before switching to a hypertrophy type routine. I didn't mean small guys can't be strong :p

Yeah that is true, but because you can lift more which will give you more time under tension.

Strength training is just more fun for me, I do sometimes think if I done a hypertrophy this whole time I might actually look like I go to the gym.

I'm always tempted to go to a hypertrophy type workout, but every time I try I just end up losing gains and back to strength training. :/

Permabanned
I think squatting 3 times a week is getting to my hip now. Been having a niggling feeling that feels like it's in the socket for over a month now and now even noticing it just walking around, not really sore just feels off.

Soldato
Watching the women's 48kg WL'ing on BBC atm (red button). Nice to see Morghan King set an American record in the snatch, always underperformed a bit in comp.

Going to be more open across a lot of the weight classes without any Russians lifting, not to mention the scores that got banned for old blood samples getting retested. Pity Zoe Smith got injured in the run up to comp, would have had a stab at getting in the top 8 perhaps.

Associate
I think squatting 3 times a week is getting to my hip now. Been having a niggling feeling that feels like it's in the socket for over a month now and now even noticing it just walking around, not really sore just feels off.

You could go see a physio. I've apparently got a slightly misshapen pelvis so I have to squat knees super far out and then still sometimes inflame something within my right hip

Man of Honour
You say that you do "almost always same routine for DL" but does that vary the volume and intensities session by session?

It seems you've just hit a plateau and the primary cause is potentially a stagnant program.

If that sounds about right then we need to find a way to start shifting your body back into high gear!

Try this 4 week mini block for deads and see how it goes

The following assumes your deadlift form is solid, consistent and without excessive rounding:

Week 1: Deadlift: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + RDL: 3x8x60%
Week 2: Deadlift: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + RDL: 3x6x70%
Week 3: Deadlift: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 4: New Max

For weeks 1-2 add in your usual upper back work for week 3 half the volume of it.

This does have you deadlifting every seven days, if that's not an option thehn feel free to adapt it to your time frame.

EDIT: for the RDL base it off an RDL max if you have one and if you don't then take it to be 60-70% of your DL max.

Ok, I love this workout. Week 1 complete, minus a few reps doing the RDL. I haven't done RDLs before and was sceptical about doing it at the end, but I can see the benefit now. I can also see how this will raise my maximum lift very quickly. This is also the first time I have seen weakness in my form and it really shows how this routine pushes you. No idea why I whacked my left knee on the way down a few times though, I need to be more careful of this.

Which pre workout do you use?

Thanks

The my protein 'My Pre'. Brilliant stuff. A decent load of caffeine, lots of essential amino acids, some Creatine etc. Basically everything you need just before a good workout. My stomach has gotten use to it now too. I take it about 5 mins before my workout so that it kicks in when I need it most. I don't take the recommended dose, but about half a scoop. I don't drink any other caffeine products, so it probably has a decent effect on my body. I will take a little more if doing a more demanding workout e.g. For lifting today. As for flavours, the orange is great (like Fanta), the rasberry is ok, but I doubt I would get that one again. I also got them while they were buy one get one free, so can't complain really.

Associate

Drop the squatting down to twice a week if it's giving you bother and really look into making sure that your form and technique is how it should be. The last thing to look into is ankle, calf, hamstring and hip tightness.

Soldato
Very cautiously back in the gym after a slipped disc 2 weeks ago. Still in pain but can manage it with being really really careful. Only machine training for the next week or two before trying the free weights.

Man of Honour

Your pattern is probably a bit duff, as is your mobility.

As already suggested: go see a musculoskeletal physio. :)

Soldato
So lots of people seem to be progressing or at least enjoying the little 4 week block I had posted up earlier.

There's no real magic to it, the workload just seems to work well for most people and it also works nicely for squats and bench as well.

I prefer to train my squats and bench twice a week since they don't take nearly as long to recover from.

So for anyone wanting to try this for their other lifts give this a go;

Squat
Week 1 Day 1: Squat: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + Front Squat: 3x8x60%
Week 1 Day 2: Front Squat: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + Squat: 3x8x60%
Week 2 Day 1: Squat: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + Front Squat: 3x6x70%
Week 2 Day 2: Front Squat: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + Squat: 3x6x70%
Week 3 Day 1: Squat: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 3 Day 2: Front Squat: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 4: New Max (either on same day or a few days apart)

Bench
Week 1 Day 1: Bench: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + CGBP: 3x8x60%
Week 1 Day 2: CGBP: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + Bench: 3x8x60%
Week 2 Day 1: Bench: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + CGBP: 3x6x70%
Week 2 Day 2: CGBP: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + Bench: 3x6x70%
Week 3 Day 1: Bench: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 3 Day 2: CGBP: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70% + Bench 5x1x90%
Week 4: New Max (either on same day or a few days apart)

Deadlift
Week 1: Deadlift: 4x5x80% + 6x3x60% + RDL: 3x8x60%
Week 2: Deadlift: 2x1x90% + 3x3x85% + 6x3x65% + RDL: 3x6x70%
Week 3: Deadlift: 2x2x80% + 6x3x70%
Week 4: New Max

With each of these you can pick one or two assistance exercises and hit them for volume on weeks 1-3 (only day 1 on week 3) something like 3x12-20 reps with short rest periods.

Sample 3 Days:

Monday
Bench and Squat Day 1

Wednesday
Deadlift

Friday
Bench and Squat Day 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom