Driving pet hates...

Soldato
The middle lane tends to be about 70-80mph. Someone wanting to overtake at that speed really should be using lane 3. I think it's not a genuine need to overtake, it's annoyance at having to share the road with other people.

For argument's sake, lets say the driver moves into lane 1, maybe a couple of others behind them do too, so the gap between lorries has been filled. The cars which were behind them in lane 2 move up, so now there's no gap for them to move back into lane 2 to overtake the lorry ahead. Now what? They're just stuck behind a lorry for god knows how long?? If there's not much traffic about then it'd be okay, but there usually is massive congestion, so this is the way it pans out most of the time. Some people are going to be getting frustrated and taking a really risky lane change back into lane 2.
Learn to drive on the Motorway

Soldato
"Smart Motorway" recommended speeds. They cause unnecessary slow downs and congestion in areas where they simply don't need to be.

Soldato
Just for the maths side of the "if a truck is 30 secs in front of me I won't pull over" comment -

You = 70mph
70mph x 30 sec = 1km in distance between you and the truck

Truck speed = 55mph
Difference in speed between You and the Truck = 15mph

Therefore Time taken to travel 1km at 15mph (the actual overtaking speed) = 2min 30sec

So the "it's only 30 sec" is actually 2min 30sec to physically overtake a truck 1km in front of you and thats 2min 30sec spent in the Middle Lane next to an empty inside lane without moving over as the Highway Code says you should do.

Yet everyone who moves over as they should is wrong?

I would love the Government to start producing proper Road Safety videos again which are played during Soaps to maximise the audience - Videos like "How to join a motorway" - "Why you shouldn't sit in the middle lane" - "What the National Speed limit actually is" etc - It'd be very enlightening for a lot of people I think!

Soldato
I’ve come across a lot of people lately who don’t use their indicators until they’ve actually started turning off the road. They usually slow to about 5mph to make the turn too. Boils my ****

Caporegime
It'd be very enlightening for a lot of people I think!

Some people are just too thick to learn, I'd actually guess there may be a correlation between those people and soap watchers! So although you have your captive audience - it's just a wasted exercise.

As an example I had one recently - a few members on here are familiar with the road in question. It goes from a 30 to a 60 to what used to be a 40 but is now a 30 following an accident (another stupid decision in itself). People on this road fall in to 3 groups.

1, those with a brain who can follow the signs and limits correctly.
2, those with no brain who do 30 for the whole lot.
3, those with no brain who do 30, 40, 40.

I had option 3 recently. I overtook him in the 60 where he was doing 40. He then flew past me in the 30 making gestures. I caught up with him at the next set of lights and very politely asked what his issue was. Apparently I was 'going too fast' then 'going too slow'. I pointed out I never once broke the limit, unlike him. He tried to argue he was in the right until I pointed to the sign behind us. Then the lights changed and I drove off. He stalled.

Soldato
Some people are just too thick to learn, I'd actually guess there may be a correlation between those people and soap watchers! So although you have your captive audience - it's just a wasted exercise.

As an example I had one recently - a few members on here are familiar with the road in question. It goes from a 30 to a 60 to what used to be a 40 but is now a 30 following an accident (another stupid decision in itself). People on this road fall in to 3 groups.

1, those with a brain who can follow the signs and limits correctly.
2, those with no brain who do 30 for the whole lot.
3, those with no brain who do 30, 40, 40.

I had option 3 recently. I overtook him in the 60 where he was doing 40. He then flew past me in the 30 making gestures. I caught up with him at the next set of lights and very politely asked what his issue was. Apparently I was 'going too fast' then 'going too slow'. I pointed out I never once broke the limit, unlike him. He tried to argue he was in the right until I pointed to the sign behind us. Then the lights changed and I drove off. He stalled.

:D:D
Him stalling is the cherry on the cake there! Most people deep down will know they are wrong but too arrogant to accept it and just argue because they are such babies.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Oooh, where to start. Here's a few:
  • · Tailgators, with inappropriate braking distances behind me. These for me are typically the most dangerous, as IMO they’re most likely to be the people going to be rear-ending my car
  • · Drivers holding a phone to their ear or actively looking at their phone, as against where they’re going
  • · Drivers breaking the speed limit by a “bit”, i.e. enough to get nailed by a speed camera, but not enough to actually get anywhere faster than you are. You’re probably wondering why this annoys me. That’s easy, these are the same drivers who are typically FUNDING the existing speed cameras to justify their existence. If most drivers could contain their ego’s for a little while, speed cameras would be dropped due to costs
  • · The motorway middle lane muppets. Just oblivious to what’s going on and are only sat there because they think they should
  • · The 35mph bunch, i.e. drive at 35 EVERYBLOODY WHERE, regardless of whether they’re going past a school, or out in a national speed limit area. Do they remember the phrase “making effective progress”.
  • · A more recent one, bus drivers using their hazard warning lights and NOT their indicators. The implications being that if there’s a pair of buses stopped together, the rear one stops you seeing the nearside indicator, so you’ve no idea if their hazards are on, or they’re indicating to pull out
  • · Another more recent one, poor lane discipline, i.e. drivers who seem to lack the understanding of what lane and/or side of the road they’re meant to drive on. Had a guy happily wander over both lanes on the exit of a roundabout last week and nearly take the front of my car and regularly see cars pull so far out whilst overtaking a parked vehicle that they stop cars coming the other way.
  • · Drivers parking on the hatched lines in our Tesco, because they’re either “too cool”, or in reality, too bloody lazy to park their car in a genuine space and walk another 10m. Why do I care? Parking on those hatched areas typically results in a significant impact on vision in some areas of the car park, making driving around more dangerous
  • · Unnecessarily aggressive drivers (typically SUV or Audi drivers). Don’t want to let anyone out (ever), poor braking distances, think it’s OK to try to intimidate everyone around them, undertake then pull in-front of someone resulting in no braking distance, all to get just 8m further up the road. Hateful prats.

Really, all the above comes down to is being more polite to the drivers around you.

Soldato
Great example this morning - on my way down the M40 from my detached home in Oxford to meet a major distribution partner whose offices are in Reading. Securing a new deal with this company is a seven figure affair and they've been playing hardball, so naturally I'm trying to get into the zone. I've got The Quo streaming in the 320d and cruising at a solid 85mph (fast enough to make up time, not so fast that the rozzers will pay too much attention, you see). Anyhow, the motor's in cruise control and I'm having a sip of my morning double shot, extra cream cappucino and this dozy ******* bird in one of those Smart cars (more like Tart's cars!) pulls out in front of me without indicating - or even bothering to look, I suspect!

Anyway, I move out into the outside lane and pull up alongside this dozy bint and she's faffing around with some makeup whilst driving! Unbelievable! I was so livid I couldn't resist just giving it a bootful and cutting back in front of her and proceeding up to 110mph - bloody show her how there are much more powerful cars on the road than a Smart car. Hopefully she learned her lesson.

Thankfully, despite being ruffled by this incident I kept my cool in the meeting with the distributor and can safely say we're now the #1 supplier of office toner supplies to select markets in Eastern Europe and the American Mid West.

Clever bot

Soldato
Great example this morning - on my way down the M40 from my detached home in Oxford to meet a major distribution partner whose offices are in Reading. Securing a new deal with this company is a seven figure affair and they've been playing hardball, so naturally I'm trying to get into the zone. I've got The Quo streaming in the 320d and cruising at a solid 85mph (fast enough to make up time, not so fast that the rozzers will pay too much attention, you see). Anyhow, the motor's in cruise control and I'm having a sip of my morning double shot, extra cream cappucino and this dozy ******* bird in one of those Smart cars (more like Tart's cars!) pulls out in front of me without indicating - or even bothering to look, I suspect!

Anyway, I move out into the outside lane and pull up alongside this dozy bint and she's faffing around with some makeup whilst driving! Unbelievable! I was so livid I couldn't resist just giving it a bootful and cutting back in front of her and proceeding up to 110mph - bloody show her how there are much more powerful cars on the road than a Smart car. Hopefully she learned her lesson.

Thankfully, despite being ruffled by this incident I kept my cool in the meeting with the distributor and can safely say we're now the #1 supplier of office toner supplies to select markets in Eastern Europe and the American Mid West.

:D

I suspect someone is a Pistonheads fan.

Permabanned
A more recent one, bus drivers using their hazard warning lights and NOT their indicators. The implications being that if there’s a pair of buses stopped together, the rear one stops you seeing the nearside indicator, so you’ve no idea if their hazards are on, or they’re indicating to pull out
Yeah! Gotta +1 this. It's usually parked lorries around here, but same problem.

Soldato
People who can't use lanes properly.

There is a bypass near my house and people drive the full length of it in the overtaking lane at 25mph under the speedlimit just because they want to turn right at the roundabout a mile down the road. Even had a few pip or flash lights at me for passing on the left when they are doing 45 in a 70.

Back
Top Bottom