• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Caporegime
OP
@LtMatt
Hi, Are you still connected with AMD?
If so are you able to find out how far away a fix for Doom is?
In the games discussions section the Dev's have a pinned thread on it in which they blame it on the gpu drivers, I think that translates to they changed something that's broken it for a lot of users & they need driver dev's to reconnect how they work with the game.
Got a link to where the devs say that Nasha?

Permabanned
Thanks I'll look into it.

In the meantime if anyone who has this issue could share system specs, OS/driver version and quick reproduction description I'd apprecaite it. The link above is short on detail.

I'm running a 3440x1440 Freesync monitor with a stock clock 2700x, 16gb's of system memory running at 3000mhz and an 8gb RX 480 Red Devil, The OS is Win 10 pro & I'm on the 18.7.1 driver, I hope it helps. :D

The motherboards an Asus Prime B350m-a on the latest bio's.

Associate
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Highlights
Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-8-1

Support For
  • Monster Hunter™: World
    • Up toto 5% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 on the Radeon™ RX Vega 64 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p)1
    • Up to 6% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 on the Radeon™ RX 580 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p)2
  • World of Warcraft™: Battle for Azeroth
  • We Happy Few™
  • Madden NFL 19™
Fixed Issues
  • Fortnite™ may experience an application crash on game launch in Windows®7.
  • Some games may experience a game crash or hang on multi GPU system configurations when changing or applying resolutions.
  • Graphics and memory clock speeds may remain elevated or locked while gaming if video content is also playing on the system.
  • Civilization® VI may experience a game crash using DirectX®12 API on game or map launch.
  • Samsung™ HMD Odyssey may experience intermittent black screens or flashing on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
Known Issues
  • Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.
  • Some games may experience instability or stutter when playing with FRTC and Instant Replay enabled.
  • Toggling performance metrics while gaming on a non-native display resolution may cause the game to scale incorrectly.
  • Radeon WattMan memory and frequency sliders may not list correct minimum values.
  • Upgrade Advisor may fail to show up in Radeon Settings.
  • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable when playing Monster Hunter™: World.
  • Video profiles may not correctly apply on web browser video content.
Added Vulkan™ Extension Support
  • VK_EXT_descriptor_indexing
    • This extension adds several small features which together enable applications to create large descriptor sets containing substantially all of their resources and selecting amongst those resources with dynamic (non-uniform) indexes in the shader.
  • VK_KHR_get_display_properties2
    • This extension provides new entry points to query device display properties and capabilities in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions, without introducing any further entry points.
  • VK_KHR_8bit_storage
    • This extension allows use of 8-bit types in uniform and storage buffers and push constant blocks.
  • VK_KHR_draw_indirect_count
    • This extension allows an application to source the number of draw calls for indirect draw calls from a buffer.
  • VK_KHR_create_renderpass2
    • This extension provides a new entry point to create render passes in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions through the substructures of render pass creation.
  • EXT_vertex_attribute_divisor
    • This extension allows instance-rate vertex attributes to be repeated for certain number of instances instead of advancing for every instance when instanced rendering is enabled.

Soldato
No fix for Kingdom Come broken lighting from 18.7 then? guess i'll skip these too.

Try them before you dismiss them. The above text is the "highlights" not all the changelog which is even longer than the above post.
(like 2D overlay flickering with Freesync which is now fixed).

Another example, you see above saying anything about fixing the missing tree trunk textures on World of Tanks? Nope. Yet they fixed the issue, just tried the game right now and all trunks are properly rendered. You have to try the drivers imho.

@LtMatt as above, the issues with the Vega 64 and the tree trunks in WOT is now fixed. Also I see some overall performance gains also in games, especially on power save mode.
But I will run benchmarks tomorrow evening. Cheers :)

Soldato
No fix for Kingdom Come broken lighting from 18.7 then? guess i'll skip these too.
Give them a try, can always roll back if they don't fix it.

My problem with minecraft and green screen seems to be fixed on 18.7.1 for the 2200g but didn't state it. (Touch wood)

I would use ddu to remove the current drivers and then install the new ones

Soldato
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 Highlights
Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-8-1

• Monster Hunter™: World
    • Up toto 5% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 on the Radeon™ RX Vega 64 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p)1
    • Up to 6% faster performance using Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.8.1 on the Radeon™ RX 580 (8GB) graphics card than with Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.6.1 at 1920x1080 (1080p)2
  • World of Warcraft™: Battle for Azeroth
  • We Happy Few™
  • Madden NFL 19™
Fixed Issues
  • Fortnite™ may experience an application crash on game launch in Windows®7.
  • Some games may experience a game crash or hang on multi GPU system configurations when changing or applying resolutions.
  • Graphics and memory clock speeds may remain elevated or locked while gaming if video content is also playing on the system.
  • Civilization® VI may experience a game crash using DirectX®12 API on game or map launch.
  • Samsung™ HMD Odyssey may experience intermittent black screens or flashing on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
Known Issues
  • Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off.
  • Some games may experience instability or stutter when playing with FRTC and Instant Replay enabled.
  • Toggling performance metrics while gaming on a non-native display resolution may cause the game to scale incorrectly.
  • Radeon WattMan memory and frequency sliders may not list correct minimum values.
  • Upgrade Advisor may fail to show up in Radeon Settings.
  • Radeon FreeSync may fail to enable when playing Monster Hunter™: World.
  • Video profiles may not correctly apply on web browser video content.
Added Vulkan™ Extension Support
  • VK_EXT_descriptor_indexing
    • This extension adds several small features which together enable applications to create large descriptor sets containing substantially all of their resources and selecting amongst those resources with dynamic (non-uniform) indexes in the shader.
  • VK_KHR_get_display_properties2
    • This extension provides new entry points to query device display properties and capabilities in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions, without introducing any further entry points.
  • VK_KHR_8bit_storage
    • This extension allows use of 8-bit types in uniform and storage buffers and push constant blocks.
  • VK_KHR_draw_indirect_count
    • This extension allows an application to source the number of draw calls for indirect draw calls from a buffer.
  • VK_KHR_create_renderpass2
    • This extension provides a new entry point to create render passes in a way that can be easily extended by other extensions through the substructures of render pass creation.
  • EXT_vertex_attribute_divisor
    • This extension allows instance-rate vertex attributes to be repeated for certain number of instances instead of advancing for every instance when instanced rendering is enabled.

Thanks for the heads up.

Permabanned
Caporegime
OP
Associate
I've not had any issue with Doom vulkan mode on this old 290 with current/latest drivers. What The Vulkan update did fix was support for Basemark GPU which until this last update would not work at all.

Associate
Back to the previous driver for me as this one has nice performance but flickering using Freesync.

Also the clocks in Wattman weren't showing the right values.

Permabanned
Have you tried deleting the local config file?

I just tried it but no joy, I just did another uninstall followed by a reinstall to a different drive, followed by deleting the user data so once it's reinstalled I'll try again.

It just finished installing on a different drive but I get the same result, A Black screen, I went off made a cuppa and drunk most of it watching the telly then went to check it again and it's still on a black screen so I can rule out my impatience, I can't get the bugga to run.

Soldato
It just finished installing on a different drive but I get the same result, A Black screen, I went off made a cuppa and drunk most of it watching the telly then went to check it again and it's still on a black screen so I can rule out my impatience, I can't get the bugga to run.
Have you tried windowed mode instead of full screen?

Back
Top Bottom