• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Guy has a point though, at some point Jay and HC became just entertainers instead of real tech journo's.

GN is def my new go-to, and I'll even donate.

GN and OC3D are the only ones I trust now. Both give their true honest opinions with good length videos about every aspect of what their talking about.

Don’t even watch jay anymore. Most of his videos are either him shilling or explaining things that 99% of people who know about pcs already know anyway.

Associate
GN and OC3D are the only ones I trust now. Both give their true honest opinions with good length videos about every aspect of what their talking about.

Don’t even watch jay anymore. Most of his videos are either him shilling or explaining things that 99% of people who know about pcs already know anyway.

I'd recommend HardwareUnboxed too. Amazing how much data they manage to show off.

Soldato
If that Tom's article isn't satire it's genuinely concerning how a "journalist" like that rises to position of Editor. Never read such a load of utter nonsense in my life, not just in respect to the position it takes, but more so in how terribly he puts forward arguments and totally contradicts himself. It's appalling writing on every conceivable level.

Soldato
If that Tom's article isn't satire it's genuinely concerning how a "journalist" like that rises to position of Editor. Never read such a load of utter nonsense in my life, not just in respect to the position it takes, but more so in how terribly he puts forward arguments and totally contradicts himself. It's appalling writing on every conceivable level.

Lol. Don’t mind me, it’s funny because it’s true

Soldato
I know that you share the same view as a lot of others here, and I understand your point. Obviously for those of us (which is a great deal at this point) who own 2K or 4K monitors, this far from ideal. With that said, "because it's god damn raytracing".

I stand by what I said after the conference, gamescon was utterly the wrong setting to expose this technology. Threads the world over, including this one, have proven that. This is a huge deal, and I can understand why NVIDIA want to share it with everyone. It's simply that they chose to make it the entire focal point of the conference, and that was a bad move. Right now, it's the technology at a very coarse level. We are years, maybe even decades away from being able to render in real-time with the same level of fidelity, or samples per pixels that is possible in non-realtime. That really shouldn't take away how awesome this is, though. It's just certainly not for everyone just yet, least not gamers.

Agreed they have done it all wrong. Yes, Ray Tracing is a big deal and I think most people on tech forums would agree with that but as you say, it's just not ready. Nvidia should have taken a hit on this. Imagine how different the reaction would have been if the 2080ti had come in at max £949 and the others cards priced accordingly, pushing the prices of the Pascal cards down as well. I don't think for a second that Nvidia would have made a loss at those prices, they just might not have made as much profit. Think of the Kudos they would have got. More people would have bought the cards, more cards with Ray TRacing, more developers working on it, more games been released. 7nm comes around, Ray Tracing isn't just a nice to have, it's suddenly a must have.

Instead they took this opportunity to raise the price tiers once more.

Soldato
What reviewers can we trust not to be persuaded by money to give an honest opinion?

No idea if i'm honest. Others have mentioned gamers nexus and yeah I like him a lot. Long haired geezer.

Other than that it's wait for benches and try to look at multiple sources to check the performance lines up.

Edit: He's actually just uploaded a video pretty much calling toms hardware out lol.

Last edited:
Soldato

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Agreed they have done it all wrong. Yes, Ray Tracing is a big deal and I think most people on tech forums would agree with that but as you say, it's just not ready. Nvidia should have taken a hit on this. Imagine how different the reaction would have been if the 2080ti had come in at max £949 and the others cards priced accordingly, pushing the prices of the Pascal cards down as well. I don't think for a second that Nvidia would have made a loss at those prices, they just might not have made as much profit. Think of the Kudos they would have got. More people would have bought the cards, more cards with Ray TRacing, more developers working on it, more games been released. 7nm comes around, Ray Tracing isn't just a nice to have, it's suddenly a must have.

Instead they took this opportunity to raise the price tiers once more.

I was prepared to take a punt at up to £850. Thought I’d have the pick of a few AIB cards for that.

However, I was after a 4K busting card, not a 1080P card with some fancy RT. Not only is the price wrong but I don’t think the new Ti is what I was waiting for after all either.

Suppose I could just not bother with RT at all and play at 4K but not at the current prices. Too big an increase in price for my taste.

Soldato

He's just not seeing it. There's no counterpoint to the 'don't buy' argument, because you SHOULDN'T... not yet anyway! There is simply no argument for pre-ordering given how little we know at present, short of perhaps being a content creator whose bottom line may depend on getting ray traced content out the door. The Tom's article is a complete farcical piece of journalism. To try and justify it is like saying there's a counter argument to not murdering someone!

Associate
I have some flour,eggs,butter and sugar here..if someone would like to pre order my cake it would be great, I cant tell you what it tastes like but its 50% better than my last cake..anyone?

Back
Top Bottom