• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Being impartial I would get a GTX 1080. It's the better value card at this performance level and you don't seem embedded into Freesync yet.

I just ordered a Vega 64 but there were several factors leaning me towards that:

* I don't have a Gsync or Freesync monitor. In fact I have an old fashioned PLP setup.

* AMD are better for such PLP setups.

* I far prefer AMD's support of open standards such as OpenCL and Freesync compared to NV's proprietary approach.

* Both the 1080 and V64 are overkill for what I need so either would be fine.

* AMD have open sourced their drivers.

* Linux support is now better under AMD.

However if you don't have any of those needs or desires, then I feel the 1080 is the better value card.
1080 would be false value buying at near full retail price at EOL though, considering the performance it offer in future games won't maintain as well as before they shift on their software support to work on new gen cards rather than old gen cards they no longer sell.

To buy Nvidia card at EOL should really only be considered if a) it is heavily discount with EOL pricing and b) mainly for playing old games that are launched prior to arrival of new gen cards.

Man of Honour
1080 would be false value buying at near full retail price at EOL though, considering the performance it offer in future games won't maintain as well as before they shift on their software support to work on new gen cards rather than old gen cards they no longer sell.

To buy Nvidia card at EOL should really only be considered if a) it is heavily discount with EOL pricing and b) mainly for playing old games that are launched prior to arrival of new gen cards.
That's a fair point. The 1080 would be better value right now. But typically AMD do seem to improve, or at least maintain competitiveness, with age. My AMD 290 is still going strong in most things. I don't really need an upgrade. It's lasted years.

Associate

This is excellent advise.:)

Soldato

also think this good advise..

Soldato
That's a fair point. The 1080 would be better value right now. But typically AMD do seem to improve, or at least maintain competitiveness, with age. My AMD 290 is still going strong in most things. I don't really need an upgrade. It's lasted years.
The reason why AMD cards less power efficient comparing to Nvidia's offering is because the core design of architecture has hasn't radically changed for years, but also because of that the driver support is all-round better.

Nvidia on other hand focus on improving power efficiency, however it come at the cost driver performance for old gen cards. I guess it is unrealistic to expect the software/driver team to keep on keeping EOL cards up-to-date and performance optimised for new games, considering how different the architecture on the new cards being so different from the cards of the gens before it.

Last edited:
Associate
devil2.jpg
devil2.jpg

devil2.jpg

Can you add me to the Roll please Kap.

Going to install her once wife and child are in bed.

In't the meantime Pic is here....https://www.dropbox.com/s/fmrl92y4fdwdn8z/devil2.jpg?dl=0

EDIT. I don't know what I'm doing with the image links.... someone help?!

Last edited:
Soldato
devil2.jpg

devil2.jpg

Can you add me to the Roll please Kap.

Going to install her once wife and child are in bed.

EDIT. I don't know what I'm doing with the image links.... someone help?!
Some other images aren't working either for me but they were before. It should just be a case of clicking the image button and paste in the address from imgur.com or whatever site you used to upload.

Caporegime
Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm leaning more towards the 64 over an nvidia option currently (as it will save me ~1000gbp lol), although will force my hand to upgrade sooner once again. Will be pairing whatever gpu/monitor combo with something similar to below.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,788.02 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Do anyone of you have a 27" 1440p/144hz IPS freesync and if so opinions on it?​

Soldato
Thanks for the opinions guys, I'm leaning more towards the 64 over an nvidia option currently (as it will save me ~1000gbp lol), although will force my hand to upgrade sooner once again. Will be pairing whatever gpu/monitor combo with something similar to below.

Theres no need for 32gb of ram and the power supply isn't in stock other than that its a nice spec

Caporegime
Theres no need for 32gb of ram and the power supply isn't in stock other than that its a nice spec

Yeah I'm aware but kinda just feel like getting it, suppose it would be better spent on an improved SSD, my 850W corsair gold from current build is probably fine but I just stuck in what is popular under the assumption I'll need a replacement as handing off old build to friend.

I have yeah but I'm keen on aesthetic of ASUS/that ram seems pretty highly though of for Ryzen/I'll need WiFi for a year or so (poor excuse)

Permabanned
The reason why AMD cards less power efficient comparing to Nvidia's offering is because the core design of architecture has hasn't radically changed for years, but also because of that the driver support is all-round better.

Nvidia on other hand focus on improving power efficiency, however it come at the cost driver performance for old gen cards. I guess it is unrealistic to expect the software/driver team to keep on keeping EOL cards up-to-date and performance optimised for new games, considering how different the architecture on the new cards being so different from the cards of the gens before it.

I thought Vega's architecture was meant to be a big change from GCN but it seems not so it'll be interesting to see how the Vega fairs after Navi releases if it's the one that starts the big move away from the GCN architecture.

Permabanned
I've got my replacement Vega 64 coming tomorrow. I was holding out for a Nitro but didn't want to miss the current pricing so got a Vega Red Devil again.

They all look like good choices and a lot like what I have, I had the 650 watt G2 initially and thought it was a good psu but went bigger for Vega, the 750 should be fine but if you can go with an 850 to ensure you have some power to spare, I've got 16gb's of the same ram with the 2700x and an Asus Prime X470 pro motherboard, I didn't bother spending the extra for a ROG board this time around, I thought about it but went with the Prime X470-pro & saved £90. My AIO only a 240mm, I don't want to go with a case that's big enough for one myself but if you have the room it's a good option.

Associate
So, now that my Red Devil is working... I have a question about coil whine.

Is it normal to get coil whine with the Red Devil? I get a very audible buzz in any benchmark or game that makes the graphics card work (Shadow of War is particularly bad).

Considering my recent PSU adventures, I tried it in another PC with a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W and it's definitely the graphics card.

Associate

Is it normal to get coil whine with the Red Devil? I get a very audible buzz in any benchmark or game that makes the graphics card work (Shadow of War is particularly bad).

Considering my recent PSU adventures, I tried it in another PC with a Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W and it's definitely the graphics card.

If my memory serves me right using two 8pin wires rather than one split into two stopped this issue for me. Worth a try if you aren't using two separate wires already.

Soldato

Sometimes with coil whine you have to give the capacitors a chance to bed in just running the card will make things better over time. Otherwise try using Radeon settings to limit your framerate to the limit of your monitor. Coil whine tends to be worse when your GPU is generating hundreds of FPS. That's not really necessary if the limit is what your monitor can display.

Soldato

Unfortunately it's quite likely that this won't go away. It's quite common with Fiji and Vega.
Sometimes the buzz goes away or reduces over time,. Sometimes if lucky when undervolting the card will draw less current, and the buzzing will be reduced.

Back
Top Bottom