LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
@Baddass or anyone knowledgeable enough. Sorry to come at you with some noob questions. You mention in your review that the G version only uses 8 out of 10bits due to G-Sync module & that there's not an sRGB profile unlike the F version. Would you still recommend this monitor for someone who wants it mostly to play games but might do some colour sensitive work from time to time? I'm a 3D artist, so modeling aside, I do lots of rendering, texturing and shader writing so I'm still hoping I can cover a few bases with a single monitor. Also I've never seen it in person, do you think 8bit + FRC is a decent improvement over 8bit? I.e. would I be missing much anyway?

FYI I'll be upgrading from an ancient 24" 60hz IPS which has always plagued me with gamma issues so either way I'm sure it'll be a significant upgrade.

Edit: I'm still also debating between this or the alienware depending on how long this takes to get to the UK, hopefully before Christmas.

Associate
Received Alienware AW3418DW today. While it is noticeably better with glow than 950G (and significantly worse with everything else, literally) it is still far from the quality of my UC98. So generally my UC98 broke (stuck pixels and two permanent white horizontal lines on the bottom of the display) and almost 3 years later I will be buying it again because the quality of ultrawides went backwards since then. Someone should get a freaking innovation of the century award. Maybe I will try 38" 3840x1600 just to make it at least some upgrade, because buying the same UC98 again would be ridiculous.

The decrease in general performance on 950G and AW3418DW is far too significant vs UC98 for me to accept. UC98 is just outclassing both with picture quality, especially way less glow. I am sending both back on Monday. I really underestimated UC98. I loved it from the first day, but I could see some flaws and wanted to upgrade. Now I see how good it is.

wlznctg.jpg

Associate
@krzychowiec Can you show some shots of these together in the same shot and lighting as you had in your previous photos to compare glow from a reasonable distance?

AW3418DW has similar glow behavior to 950G, yellow glow and bleed in left bottom corner and smaller blue one in right bottom. It has notably less glow though, but still unacceptable. Proportionally I would say that Alienware has 60% of glow of 950G, but UC98 has like 5 or 10%. This is how massive the difference is between UC98 and remaining two. The exact reason why I return both (950G is almost as good as UC98 with picture quality outside of glow, very comparable outside of oversaturation on 950G due to no sRGB preset available, Alienware is way behind both)

Associate
AW3418DW has similar glow behavior to 950G, yellow glow and bleed in left bottom corner and smaller blue one in right bottom. It has notably less glow though, but still unacceptable. Proportionally I would say that Alienware has 60% of glow of 950G, but UC98 has like 5 or 10%. This is how massive the difference is between UC98 and remaining two. The exact reason why I return both.

Thanks, I hope I don't have to go through the same trouble as you do to get a good upgrade, especially at these prices.

Associate
Thanks, I hope I don't have to go through the same trouble as you do to get a good upgrade, especially at these prices.

Prices are still much better than 2,5 years ago when I was upgrading to ultrawide (except for 950G price of course which is breaking records), 100 Hz G-sync 3440x1440 is almost two times cheaper then it was back then when X34 and PG348Q came out, as horrendously bad as they were. The problem is that if you bought something like UC98, or generally good UW3 unit, then you can only downgrade, 3 years later. I was willing to pay 50% more than what I did for UC98,, for something that would slightly better with picture quality and with G-sync, but so what if everything is a downgrade. I just hope 37.5" 3840x1600 displays like 38UC99 have the same quality as 34UC98.

Associate
Prices are still much better than 2,5 years ago when I was upgrading to ultrawide (except for 950G price of course which is breaking records), 100 Hz G-sync 3440x1440 is almost two times cheaper then it was back then when X34 and PG348Q came out, as horrendously bad as they were. The problem is that if you bought something like UC98, or generally good UW3 unit, then you can only downgrade, 3 years later. I was willing to pay 50% more than what I did for UC98,, for something that would slightly better with picture quality and with G-sync, but so what if everything is a downgrade. I just hope 37.5" 3840x1600 displays like 38UC99 have the same quality as 34UC98.

Ultimaltey the underplaying tech (LCD) is lacking and the core audience, majority of the gamers with limited knowledge about PQ, aren’t bothered.

They just keep pumping panel speed and “bro gamer” aesthetics since those two things are easier for a person to grasp And they end up mostly associating that to quality.

Going from a professionally calibrated OLED to any of this junk that passes as PC monitors, while paying through the nose, just sucks.

I’ll take an oled panel even if it burns in after 3 years than what gets passed off as high end PC monitors.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ll take an oled panel even if it burns in after 3 years than what gets passed off as high end PC monitors.

Although you obviously can't get OLED at a size which would be suitble for a daily driver PC monitor. MicroLED should hopefully resolve the issues with OLED and burn-in, be cheaper and avaialble at smaller sizes... but that's still years away. Until then, we're pretty much stuck with LCD. Mini LED should offer something more interesting in the interim though. It has significantly more local dimming zones than curent high end models, so should be excellent for HDR. AUO have a high refresh panel in development using that tech, due to go in to production next year.

Associate
Ultimaltey the underplaying tech (LCD) is lacking and the core audience, majority of the gamers with limited knowledge about PQ, aren’t bothered.

They just keep pumping panel speed and “bro gamer” aesthetics since those two things are easier for a person to grasp And they end up mostly associating that to quality.

Going from a professionally calibrated OLED to any of this junk that passes as PC monitors, while paying through the nose, just sucks.

I agree. Not only LED LCD tech has many issues that are far, far more significant than OLED issues, but also quality control is horrendously bad and it is close to miracle to get an acceptable display. That is mostly due to the very low level of requirement and knowledge of customers, just like you said. This is especially evident with gaming oriented displays that are even more compromised on quality. Why any manufacturer would spend money on making quality display if 98% of customer base don't even know what they are buying and are going to accept anything. And most likely hate on this potential quality display because it would be more expensive and make "no difference", because if they cannot see major flaws in current low grade displays then how can they see if something is of better quality.

I would also take OLED over LED LCD anytime, issues of OLED are way overblown and nothing in comparison to issues of LED LCD, especially on desktop environment that is very unforgiving.

Although you obviously can't get OLED at a size which would be suitble for a daily driver PC monitor. MicroLED should hopefully resolve the issues with OLED and burn-in, be cheaper and avaialble at smaller sizes... but that's still years away. Until then, we're pretty much stuck with LCD. Mini LED should offer something more interesting in the interim though. It has significantly more local dimming zones than current high end models, so should be excellent for HDR. AUO have a high refresh panel in development using that tech, due to go in to production next year.

I wouldn't say that MicroLED is going to be cheaper than OLED. 55" 4K OLEDs are already below mid-range price while beating the most expensive high-end TVs in the world, and they only get cheaper very fast. By the time MicroLED arrives in any kind of customer/mainstream form, OLEDs are going to be everywhere, at least on TV market. I think LG promised 49" and 40" OLED TVs by 2020.

I also saw LG rep taking about MicroLED and saying that one of the most important features of this technology is that it can get into desktop display market while OLED can't, so that would indicate that LG has no plans on releasing OLED desktop displays.

AUO can have as many MiniLEDs as they want, this technology is not effective for desktop environment. It does not fix the most important issues. Self-emissive displays are the future, all of those Frankenstein's creations like MiniLED/FALD is just an attempt to drag this inferior LED LCD technology through another decade.

Associate
https://smile.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-Ultragear-LED-Lit-34GK950G-B/dp/B07JVGLJ6R

G is on Amazon as well now. No date yet.

Edit - and B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...T48c7Uiu-FZlQiEvPXTe52OcyxoCfucQAvD_BwE&smp=y

Looks like the US release should be in the next couple weeks sometime. The $1399 price is still bananas though.

You are a GOD!! Thanks for these links.. been waiting for them

What is your experience ordering online ? Is it easy enough to return if there is back light bleed issues? Might be a massive cost if you need to send the item back because of back light bleed issues... Is it ridiculously difficult and I should wait for a box local retailer (Microcenter) to get the monitor in ?

Associate
AUO can have as many MiniLEDs as they want, this technology is not effective for desktop environment. It does not fix the most important issues. Self-emissive displays are the future, all of those Frankenstein's creations like MiniLED/FALD is just an attempt to drag this inferior LED LCD technology through another decade.

Agree with you on the matter. I would very much prefer if manufacturers just dropped LCD and OLED and focused their energy on MicroLED. Not that something is wrong with them. They have served humanity well and may die in peace.

I would also prefer if more humans stop burning gas and start doing yoga.

Nonetheless we still may enjoy some of miniLED-backlit LCD frankensteins in the future.

By the way, thank you for sharing your personal experience with 34GK950G (and with 34UC98 in comparison).

Associate
You are a GOD!! Thanks for these links.. been waiting for them

What is your experience ordering online ? Is it easy enough to return if there is back light bleed issues? Might be a massive cost if you need to send the item back because of back light bleed issues... Is it ridiculously difficult and I should wait for a box local retailer (Microcenter) to get the monitor in ?

Don't know how it works in the US, but in Europe returning is very easy and cheap. This is why you order online, you have 14 days for return. Don't know what can be so ridiculously difficult as you say, you just pack the thing back and either order a carrier to your house (not recommended because hell knows on what hour he is going to come, so you have to wait all day) or just leave a package at some send out-pick up points. Some online shops have such points too so you can give it directly to them is it is close enough to you.

Soldato
I wouldn't say that MicroLED is going to be cheaper than OLED. 55" 4K OLEDs are already below mid-range price while beating the most expensive high-end TVs in the world, and they only get cheaper very fast. By the time MicroLED arrives in any kind of customer/mainstream form, OLEDs are going to be everywhere, at least on TV market. I think LG promised 49" and 40" OLED TVs by 2020.

I also saw LG rep taking about MicroLED and saying that one of the most important features of this technology is that it can get into desktop display market while OLED can't, so that would indicate that LG has no plans on releasing OLED desktop displays.

MicroLED is many years away yet though, at least 3-4, maybe more... at least in respect to the high-refresh adaptive sync models we want. OLED is never going to happen for sure. Mini LED could potentially solve some of the issues we currently have with LED though, namely bleed and the issues with FALD still suffering bad halo effect. The significantly greater number of dimming zones (over 1000) will definitely be a good thing, especially when it comes to HDR content. So in that respect at least we should see some improvements. Far from ideal I know, as I agree MicroLED holds the most promise for the future, but the problem is having to wait so long. Mini LED should be here next year, all going well.

Associate
Don't know how it works in the US, but in Europe returning is very easy and cheap. This is why you order online, you have 14 days for return. Don't know what can be so ridiculously difficult as you say, you just pack the thing back and either order a carrier to your house (not recommended because hell knows on what hour he is going to come, so you have to wait all day) or just leave a package at some send out-pick up points. Some online shops have such points too so you can give it directly to them is it is close enough to you.

Don't know what's ridiculously difficult :) ? Here is an example:
1) NewEgg (one of the largest online electronics retailers): Will not accept a monitor return unless there are ***8*** (osiem) dead pixels. 7 dead pixels? Will not accept return
2) B&H photo return policy - Shipping and handling fee not refunded. You pay for return shipping yourself. In addition- Opened TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger — original packaging cannot be unsealed (In other words, if you open the monitor box it is no longer returnable).
However, they claim "Defective items may be repaired, exchanged or refunded at our discretion for the same model or manufacturer's equivalent model." They do not define what they consider to be defective or damaged since its at their discretion.

3) Amazon return policy states "Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product" So if they decide back light bleed is normal then you are stuck with it. Also - "If you return an item using a prepaid method (dropoff or pickup) from the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund unless your item qualifies for a free return" In other words you pay for shipping.

3) As above some retailers you have to pay for return shipping (~probably close to $100 for something this size).
4) Carriers will not come to your house (at least around here) so I have to go there (not too big a deal since they are open on Saturday).

That's why I am curious what peoples experiences (in the USA are) .... While these are the official return policies, I have heard places like Newegg will accept monitor returns on occasion with "back light bleed".

But the question is, its far safer for us (I think) to go with a box retailer (Best buy, Microcenter) since they will definitely accept back light bleed returns.

Associate
Don't know what's ridiculously difficult :) ? Here is an example:
1) NewEgg (one of the largest online electronics retailers): Will not accept a monitor return unless there are ***8*** (osiem) dead pixels. 7 dead pixels? Will not accept return
2) B&H photo return policy - Shipping and handling fee not refunded. You pay for return shipping yourself. In addition- Opened TVs, combos and monitors 37" and larger — original packaging cannot be unsealed (In other words, if you open the monitor box it is no longer returnable).
However, they claim "Defective items may be repaired, exchanged or refunded at our discretion for the same model or manufacturer's equivalent model." They do not define what they consider to be defective or damaged since its at their discretion.

3) Amazon return policy states "Amazon.com reserves the right to test "dead on arrival" returns and impose a customer fee equal to 15 percent of the product sales price if the customer misrepresents the condition of the product" So if they decide back light bleed is normal then you are stuck with it. Also - "If you return an item using a prepaid method (dropoff or pickup) from the Online Returns Center, and the reason for return is not a result of an Amazon error, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund unless your item qualifies for a free return" In other words you pay for shipping.

3) As above some retailers you have to pay for return shipping (~probably close to $100 for something this size).
4) Carriers will not come to your house (at least around here) so I have to go there (not too big a deal since they are open on Saturday).

That's why I am curious what peoples experiences (in the USA are) .... While these are the official return policies, I have heard places like Newegg will accept monitor returns on occasion with "back light bleed".

But the question is, its far safer for us (I think) to go with a box retailer (Best buy, Microcenter) since they will definitely accept back light bleed returns.

Not the first time I hear such things about NewEgg. Some strange return polices, return fees... I don't know why customers in the US are accepting such retailers, something like this belongs to North Korea or somewhere like that, certainly not to the civilized world.

For anything bought online on or from a territory of European Union you have a right to return an item within 14 days from receiving it without giving any reason why. Shipping is very cheap, for example sending back 950G is going to cost me 19 PLN, compared it's 6300 PLN price. So thats nothing. Even when buying from abroad costs are not very big, 48h shipping to Poland from Germany is like less than 10 EUR.

Also important thing to remember that since the introduction of UW3 panel from LG ultrawides no longer have massive issues with backlight bleed known from UW2 panels. Glow is a problem and it varies between different models, not really bleed. Although I imagine that the shop doesn't understand the difference just like most of people don't.

Associate
Not the first time I hear such things about NewEgg. Some strange return polices, return fees... I don't know why customers in the US are accepting such retailers, something like this belongs to North Korea or somewhere like that, certainly not to the civilized world.

For anything bought online on or from a territory of European Union you have a right to return an item within 14 days from receiving it without giving any reason why. Shipping is very cheap, for example sending back 950G is going to cost me 19 PLN, compared it's 6300 PLN price. So thats nothing. Even when buying from abroad costs are not very big, 48h shipping to Poland from Germany is like less than 10 EUR.

:p Ya, there are many differences between consumer protection and rights between our two systems (EU vs USA) both with their advantages and disadvantages (stuff is much cheaper here in general, for example). Consumer protection laws may factor into those costs.. But anyway, this isn't the place to discuss that I suppose.

Also, in terms of shipping costs, just remember how big this country is :) Ordering from Newegg for me is almost like someone in Warsaw ordering from Mumbai, and the shipping is "free" (really its hidden in the price, which is still cheap considering the distance they have to ship it)

But yea, these policies also make sure we have to research pretty heavily what store we order from Online.

Back
Top Bottom