LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
But for example would the LG be comparable to me setting my TV to DCI P3 when using REC709 content?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
But for example would the LG be comparable to me setting my TV to DCI P3 when using REC709 content?
that depends whether your TV can truly output DCI-P3 colour space or if it's just some kind of fancy preset mode which changes the colour appearance by some other means. also depends on whether the REC709 mode truly emulates a smaller sRGB colour space or not, and also on how accurate each mode is in terms of displaying the colours it is intended to show. probably a bit risky drawing conclusions from it

Soldato
that depends whether your TV can truly output DCI-P3 colour space or if it's just some kind of fancy preset mode which changes the colour appearance by some other means. also depends on whether the REC709 mode truly emulates a smaller sRGB colour space or not, and also on how accurate each mode is in terms of displaying the colours it is intended to show. probably a bit risky drawing conclusions from it

The TV is a panasonic which is very accurate for colours, it can output DCIp3 colour space, assuming the DCIP3 colour gamut on this TV is accurate, would watching SDR content with the TV in DCIp3 colour gamut, be similar to the LG with its DCIP3 colour space and no SRGB mode?

Overall I am just trying to get an idea here, for example if it would be a minor issue, which does not look much different to a monitor with accurate SRGB colours, or something similar to running my TV in DCIP3 gamut with REC709 content?

Last edited:
Associate
when will the monitor be actually released on overclockers.co.uk ?
As far as I'm aware, this is the latest info we have. Seems pretty certain that the very limited number of Fs will have been preordered already, not sure about the Gs. If you're asking when they're gonna be listed as 'in stock' on the website, that looks like some time in the new year.

Man of Honour
The TV is a panasonic which is very accurate for colours, it can output DCIp3 colour space, assuming the DCIP3 colour gamut on this TV is accurate, would watching SDR content with the TV in DCIp3 colour gamut, be similar to the LG with its DCIP3 colour space and no SRGB mode?

Overall I am just trying to get an idea here, for example if it would be a minor issue, which does not look much different to a monitor with accurate SRGB colours, or something similar to running my TV in DCIP3 gamut with REC709 content?
hard to know for sure, but i would say that it would be a fairly good proxy for viewing standard SDR and sRGB content on the LG display at its native gamut, yes

Associate
For those who have pre-ordered - are we expecting to receive this around the 23rd after all?
I am not sure. They haven't told us anything, just that they would have some stock this month but as far as I know it could be very end of the month. I am not even sure if I ordered soon enough to get one of those. My order simply shows up as "confirmed" and "not shipped". The money was debited.

Associate
hard to know for sure, but i would say that it would be a fairly good proxy for viewing standard SDR and sRGB content on the LG display at its native gamut, yes

Sorry to bother you, appreciate answering questions for us simples!. :p

The wide gamut thing has me worried now, I thought it would be a simple case of icc profile calibrating it with a device to bring the colors in line for games, is this not the case?. The sRGB preset looks alittle under, would calibrating be better on that preset and make the values better in that mode?, from what I've read you should keep the best native color space for calibration?.

I don't mind a little more vibrant look but 135% over sRBG has me wondering about this. :confused:

Associate
That's probably why - I guess it works the same way.

I just want to know either way whether I will get mine from the initial stock coming in...
I paid via credit card and mine also debited. I presumed that’s standard protocol these days but will feel hard done by if order takes too much longer.

Associate
I paid via credit card and mine also debited. I presumed that’s standard protocol these days but will feel hard done by if order takes too much longer.

I paid via direct payment credit card (as opposed to via a third party like Amazon or Paypal which then charge my credit card immediately) - my account shows that portion of my credit limit as not available, but the balance doesn’t reflect that - so seems like the money is “reserved” but not fully debited - like a holding deposit or whatever when you rent a car? /shrug

I assume I won’t be charged properly until dispatch - seems to be how it works in most places when you pre-order.

Soldato

The wide gamut thing has me worried now, I thought it would be a simple case of icc profile calibrating it with a device to bring the colors in line for games, is this not the case?. The sRGB preset looks alittle under, would calibrating be better on that preset and make the values better in that mode?, from what I've read you should keep the best native color space for calibration?.

I don't mind a little more vibrant look but 135% over sRBG has me wondering about this. :confused:

Well I think you can calibrate it using an ICC profile, and this would give you accurate SRGB colours, hopefully badass can confirm because although I know about this stuff, I am not sure about calibrating a wide gamut monitor to SRGB.

But as far as I know using an ICC profile basically says "this colour should be there", so using an ICC profile would give you accurate SRGB colours, the problem is though, ICC profiles are mostly for desktop and ICC profile aware apps, for other things like multimedia, they are a bit of a nightmare.

Last edited:
Soldato
A picture of my final setup

BIzJ93e.jpg
JAGFo21

Katscan, could you post some more images, for example photos of people or nature etc. Things that are normal realistic colours? Also if you can get the images to look as close to they actually look on the monitor that would be good.

Man of Honour

It's not 135% over sRGB, that would be crazy! :) It's 35% wider and corresponds closely to the DCI-P3 colour space. Don't worry about this uncessarily though. If you go and look at most modern TV's in a shop they will be based on a wider DCI-P3 colour space, as will things like HDR content if that's being demo-ed. I bet the majority of people who use and see an HDR TV like this will prefer the appearance, and comment on how nice the colours look. They look brighter, more vivid and deeper and for things like movies and gaming they are normally preferred. Especially when it comes to content like HDR games and movies which is specifically intended to be seen with that DCI-P3 colour space. It's the same thing with desktop monitors and i suspect the majority of people who buy either version of this screen will stick with the native gamut (DCI-P3) and enjoy the more rich and vivid colour appearance for gaming. It gives a nice boost in appearance and colours as opposed to making everything look totally unrealistic or anything like that.

I think the only time it would be an issue would be if you were specifically trying to do colour critical work like photo editing, or trying to match the appearance of an image between your screen and a printer or something like that. That's not the intended use of these screens though of course. The F model has the sRGB emulation mode if you really need it, which will simulate that smaller colour space and perhaps make some of this colour matching or editing simpler and easier. The G model doesn't offer that, so it makes it less suitable for those kind of uses. Again though, i bet most users wouldn't even worry too much about it and be perfectly happy (and maybe oblivious) in using their screen in the DCI-P3 colour space and having a printer which only prints in sRGB. They probably won't care in a lot of cases. If you really need to do a lot of colour matching, image editing etc then there are probably more suitable screens out there than these two gaming models too.

Well I think you can calibrate it using an ICC profile, and this would give you accurate SRGB colours, hopefully badass can confirm because although I know about this stuff, I am not sure about calibrating a wide gamut monitor to SRGB.

But as far as I know using an ICC profile basically says "this colour should be there", so using an ICC profile would give you accurate SRGB colours, the problem is though, ICC profiles are mostly for desktop and ICC profile aware apps, for other things like multimedia, they are a bit of a nightmare.

A normal software calibration and creation of an ICC profile won't alter the monitors colour space i'm afraid. The only way to do that would be if the calibration was capable of dictating the colour space directly and enforcing that on the display. That is often possible on screens with hardware calibration, where you can not only calibrate things like the gamma and white point, but also alter the target colour space. On the 950G it will always output a DCI-P3 colour space. On the F model you can emulate a smaller sRGB colour space using the OSD preset mode if you want.

As you've said as well, ICC profiles are generally ignored (or very difficult to use) for things like games and multimedia as well. Although in those cases it's often not really about being "accurate" and more about obtaining an image that looks and feels right to you for your preferences, particular content, ambient lighting conditions etc

Back
Top Bottom