• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Caporegime
Ive been saying all along, that they should have done the voltage themselves, for the release, then they wouldn't have gotten trashed in the reviews, which ended up all being invalid over it, but, its AMD, so expected :p

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys , recently bought a Sapphire V64 in AMD black friday deal also upgraded to 144hz 1440p monitor. Really pleased with the performance jump from RX480 + 1080p 75hz.

However, noticed last night after a couple of hours on PUBG that my CPU (1600X) was hitting 75 degrees.. it's not overclocked but is undervolted and cooled by an NZXT Kraken X52 AIO. It only used to hit a max of about 45 degrees..

Also noticed my 64 seems to idle @ 50-55 degrees, which seems really high! The card is undervolted in Wattmann and with a target temp of 65 degrees which it doesn't exceed gaming.

Case is a fractal design R4

Any suggestions as the CPU temp especially on that cooler is concering me...

Associate
Spoke too soon.Just had a big battle and towards the end the HBM speed plummets from 1045mhz to 167mhz resulting in 35fps and a very angry and frustrated me. I dont understand whats happening, the temps are all fine, as im typing this GPU usage is pegged at 100% and 1323mhz.
Im tired of the crap and RMAing tommorow

EDIT : Going to try one last thing.Snappy driver says there is a more optimal but older driver for the card so im going to install that and see what happens.If it dont work i will RMA this tragedy

Edit to the above: That didnt work,bye bye Vega64 you are being RMA`d

You got this new AMD driver? Try old one..like 2 months ago. Because with the new driver i got the same behavior, the HBM downclocks to 167 mhz after a while in BFV.
With old driver this never happens, so something is buggy with their new one.

Associate
I have a saphire nitro vega 64. It has a boost of 1580 Mhz according to overclockers and saphires website . But in whatman it has a default setting of 1632 Mhz. I am on the 2019 drivers. Are others the same. Have saphire upped it without informing us or is watman doing something strange. What are others seeing as stock boost speeds?

Associate
I have a saphire nitro vega 64. It has a boost of 1580 Mhz according to overclockers and saphires website . But in whatman it has a default setting of 1632 Mhz. I am on the 2019 drivers. Are others the same. Have saphire upped it without informing us or is watman doing something strange. What are others seeing as stock boost speeds?
Depends on load mate. I have mine set to 1750 and with 1150mV or better it'll idle at 1800+. The ACG manages clock speeds on the fly, similar to the dynamic boost on Nvidia cards. The Clock speed we set is just a target not a flat value anymore. The voltage is also a max target and will droop under heavy load for instance too.

Soldato

When I was first running my sapphire V64, it would boost to about 1540mhz under load. It was only when under volting by setting the p6 to 1125 and p7 to 1140, then set the p7 frequency to 1697 does it hit 1630mhz and it'll fluctuate up and down by about 10-15 mhz. The temps also remain acceptable and power draw around 280w-290w, and fan would spin up to about 2300rpm.

Soldato
Over on the tube theres a video posted by "Joker" benching a 2070, 1080 and Vega 64 side by side in stuff like far cry 5, assassin's Creed, RotTR, @ 1440p, and the 64 basically comes out on top. No idea of overclocks (stock I reckon), brands of cards, used, settings, etc but interesting never the less.

Soldato
Hi guys , recently bought a Sapphire V64 in AMD black friday deal also upgraded to 144hz 1440p monitor. Really pleased with the performance jump from RX480 + 1080p 75hz.

However, noticed last night after a couple of hours on PUBG that my CPU (1600X) was hitting 75 degrees.. it's not overclocked but is undervolted and cooled by an NZXT Kraken X52 AIO. It only used to hit a max of about 45 degrees..

Also noticed my 64 seems to idle @ 50-55 degrees, which seems really high! The card is undervolted in Wattmann and with a target temp of 65 degrees which it doesn't exceed gaming.

I have a 2700x with a aio cooler also the temps hit 75c on mine too when it boosts to 4.2/4.3 I always wondered if this was normal too.

Associate
hello to community.
since i m new to this type of mod ,i d like if can evenyone of you help me with powerplay tables. I have a powercolor red devil vega 56 . I undervoted by -156mv ,the core clock is hit 1600mhz ,the hbm2 is at 945mhz and the powerlimit at +50%. It is nice and stable and i dont have any issues at all. I have not yet update to latest drivers and im still use the 18.9.3.
Today i download a power table from this site for my card model and edit the power limit to 150%(change the value from 32 to 96). reboot the machine and when i benchmark no matter if i ve increase the powerlimit nothing change at results. i have the same as before install the powertable. i was not be able to hit more core clock frequency no matter if i try to change the core voltage slider. is it something that i miss here?

Regrats
Antonis

Soldato
I bought my Gigabyte Vega 64 OC about five days ago and had been waiting for a price drop. It gets competitive benchmark scores to anything I'm seeing with other Vega 64 cards and I've been researching this months and tuning for days now. I'm generally getting scores competitive or better than the GTX 1080 on most tests. Undervolt and Overclock works great. It' not noisy, I'm not seeing temps get out of control and frankly, my RX 480 ran way hotter.

So the bad rap on this card is way overdone imo. There were some initial bios problems that Gigabyte corrected and many reviews were done on the initial bios. Also, the community hasn't done a good job of conveying the need to undervolt on these cards. I'm surprised how much better scores are and improved stability as well. Many professional Vega 64 Reviews don't even mention the advantage. I'm kind of glad this card has been trashed because I picked up my for $450 and couldn't be happier.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Only had mine a day and figured I'd just use it for a few days before tinkering. Tempted to try the new auto undervolt which I read yesterday works quite well, but I guess I'd be better understanding how it all works.

Associate

How good is your air flow through the case, it will need to be good as the Vega will be pushing out lot of heat into the case?

You can check by taking of the side panel and see if the temps of your card/CPU comes down.

Your NZXT Kraken X52 AIO cooler, location roof or front?

Any other fans?

Last edited:
Associate
Over on the tube theres a video posted by "Joker" benching a 2070, 1080 and Vega 64 side by side in stuff like far cry 5, assassin's Creed, RotTR, @ 1440p, and the 64 basically comes out on top. No idea of overclocks (stock I reckon), brands of cards, used, settings, etc but interesting never the less.
Here's the link:
Thanks, that's good to hear. Only had mine a day and figured I'd just use it for a few days before tinkering. Tempted to try the new auto undervolt which I read yesterday works quite well, but I guess I'd be better understanding how it all works.
I've done so many benchmarks over the past week that I forget how the auto undervolt performed. I believe I had tried them all with TimeSpy and didn't see much of a difference in any of them. I should try again and just start Heaven and GPU-Z to see differences in FPS and Temp.
My everyday profile that has been performing great:
Custom:
Frequency + 1%
Voltage-manual: P5: 1075 P6: 1100 P7: 1125
Temp Auto (For now)
Power Limit: 35%
Memory Timing Automatic
Frequency 990
Voltage State 3 Max 990

Also - Look at your bios. I had to update mine. F2 Bios on Gigabyte website along with @vgabios

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey guys,

Just got my new rig setup yesterday. seems ok..but one thing worrying me..

in OCUK website the Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro has clocks of : (memory clock : 945 and core clock of : 1373 )..BUT my AfterBurner readings are : (memory clock : 945 and core clock of : 1630) :eek::eek:

I haven't tampered with my setting at ALL. Just noticed this just now. What should I do about it?

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just got my new rig setup yesterday. seems ok..but one thing worrying me..

in OCUK website the Sapphire VEGA 64 Nitro has clocks of : (memory clock : 945 and core clock of : 1373 )..BUT my AfterBurner readings are : (memory clock : 945 and core clock of : 1630) :eek::eek:

I haven't tampered with my setting at ALL. Just noticed this just now. What should I do about it?

1630 is the correct speed.

Back
Top Bottom