Poll: Do you actually own your car?

Do you actually own your car?

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Nope, don't think I ever will either. Can't see the point in owning such an expensive depreciating asset.

Why do people say this? I know it sounds really intelligent and financially astute but letting someone else own an expensive depreciating asset and then paying them for the depreciation isn't really much different is it.

Soldato
Why do people say this? I know it sounds really intelligent and financially astute but letting someone else own an expensive depreciating asset and then paying them for the depreciation isn't really much different is it.

This. Everyday.

The only reason I can see people doing this is that their cash can earn them more invested elsewhere beating the % rate of finance.

Soldato
I'm surprised the owned figure is so high, I thought it would be more like 20% owned, 80% on some sort of financial loan.
Me I own outright my 2004 Yaris 1.0 worth about a grand! Impressive huh? I use that on the ladies all the time :p. Im single :D
Actually also own a BMW X1 that I bought just a few months old and had this since 2012. Have only borrowed once to buy a car and that was when I wanted to keep my old BMW E30 M3 too and needed a commuter so picked up a diesel.
Since 2006 have owned a few BMW Z4's nearly new, including a Z4 M Coupe. Damn I wish I kept that car sometimes. E46 M3 engine in the Z4 coupe stiff body with some CSL bits as standard, nice!.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Yes, VW Up!

I’m so bad I’d forgotten I also own a VW Up too, though I purchased it outright for my mother as a gift so I guess it’s technical hers. ;)

Took for MOT other day as was due it’s first or second can’t remember. Housey I think needs to try an Up as Polo is nothing in comparison!

should have taken it VW for MOT really and blagged an GTI for test drive. :D

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I'm surprised the owned figure is so high, I thought it would be more like 20% owned, 80% on some sort of financial loan.
Me I own outright my 2004 Yaris 1.0 worth about a grand! Impressive huh? I use that on the ladies all the time :p. Im single :D
Actually also own a BMW X1 that I bought just a few months old and had this since 2012. Have only borrowed once to buy a car and that was when I wanted to keep my old BMW E30 M3 too and needed a commuter!
Since 2006 have owned a few BMW Z4's nearly new, including a Z4 M Coupe. Damn I wish I kept that car sometimes. E46 M3 engine in the Z4 coupe stiff body with some CSL bits as standard, nice!.

Some of us hate finance!
When I was buying the Jaaag the dealership was trying to suggest I don’t need to pay so much upfront.

Of course I did to reduce interest, monthly payment and final balloon, that’s why I pay under £500 per month and once my Vegas trip is out the way and as long as I don’t blow all my cash on gambling, hookers, supercars, guns and alcohol I’ll be settling up and owning the SVR outright too meaning all the cars are owned. :)

Plus it means if I decide to buy something really nice next year in the 100-150k region it’s would be nice to put 100k down and then just finance 30-50k the traditional way with no balloon or just take bank loan or re-mortgage style loans for even better interest rate but we shall see as current values dropping anything under 100k I’ll buy outright. I just like my wage to be well all mine for saving, spending and taking nice holidays and weekends away or car parts lol.

Caporegime
OP's question wasn't "Do you actually own your car from new?" So no, the poll isn't skewed.

OPs statement a few posts above gave a reason for starting the poll.

‘I read that over 90% of new car purchases (or even nearly new) are either on PCP or HP, was interested to see how that stacks up against this forum. ’

So yes it is skewed by testing a statement about new cars by asking about all cars ?

Soldato
Yes own all the cars in the household outright
2010 Toyota Avensis
2012 Suzuki swift sport
1996 Subaru impreza WRX
1998 Rover Mini

Look at me the big spender :(

I have had finance in the past, HP on a new ford focus in 2006 and then a personal loan for my Integra but i try and avoid it nowadays if possible.

Man of Honour
Some of us hate finance!
When I was buying the Jaaag the dealership was trying to suggest I don’t need to pay so much upfront.

This is where so many people go wrong. Really your deposit should be bigger than the drive away depreciation or else you’re going to be in trouble on any early bail out.

Finance allows for the curve and that’s fine but most people then wonder why when they need to get out early they are so out of pocket, even more so when they buy at overs. All fool them really, finance is not a ‘get expensive cheap’ but so many view it as that and then wonder why they owe big when the wind changes. Don’t buy expensive stuff like that you could get burnt big. Big chunk in to cover your backside and that year 1 depreciation is vital unless you fix lease on a short term.

My RS4....damn that was ugly when I bought the car off the finance company!

Soldato
You beat depreciation on a lease car? You must have leased it for £0 down and £0 a month!
Stop it! You know what I mean

In case you don't I paid less over the term than the car lost in value so I beat the depreciation it would have incurred over the time period if I had bought or financed the car in another way sorry for the explanation I'm sure it was a joke kthnxbai

olv

olv

Soldato
Some of us hate finance!

Of course I did to reduce interest, monthly payment and final balloon, that’s why I pay under £500 per month and once my Vegas trip is out the way and as long as I don’t blow all my cash on gambling, hookers, supercars, guns and alcohol I’ll be settling up and owning the SVR outright too meaning all the cars are owned. :)

Plus it means if I decide to buy something really nice next year in the 100-150k region it’s would be nice to put 100k down and then just finance 30-50k the traditional way with no balloon or just take bank loan or re-mortgage style loans for even better interest rate but we shall see as current values dropping anything under 100k I’ll buy outright. I just like my wage to be well all mine for saving, spending and taking nice holidays and weekends away or car parts lol.

Not that I don't love the minute details of your financial life and enjoy that you're such a baller but you have to remember that the general demographic in the big wide world is just not up there with you and crinkleshoes so you might want to have a little more tact when dropping your dong in public.

Back
Top Bottom