Kenshi - Free roaming RPG

Soldato
“A free-roaming squad based RPG. Focusing on open-ended sandbox gameplay features rather than a linear story. Be a trader, a thief, a rebel, a warlord, an adventurer, a farmer, a slave, or just food for the cannibals. Research new equipment and craft new gear.”

Anybody got this? Seen a few videos and I’m planning on getting it this weekend. It was made originally by 1 guy from Bristol for 6 years.

It’s only just released so I’m doubting it’ll be in this winter steam sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/233860/Kenshi/

You can play a demo version of the game here apparently:
https://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8428

Associate
I got it today and its a pretty random game :) Very tough learning curve. I would have liked it to have a better combat but its very open! I can see myself getting addicted to it once I've mastered the basic elements.

Warning the graphics are pants.

Soldato
Been playing this as I bought it on a whim after briefly seeing some game play by a Twitch streamer I sometimes watch and thinking this is right up my street.

As Swillsy says, the graphics are pants! But the game play is excellent. True sandbox, nice and tough difficulty (more rewarding imo) and the stuff you can do is quite in depth. The idea behind it is you're not a hero or have special powers etc, you are just a normal person. If you want to be strong etc you have to work at it, you can't just go pick a fight right away. You genuinely do feel like you're on an adventure and it's a lot of fun seeing who is going to be your hero character (you can have loads of characters at one time) or who is going to get captured and suffer one of the many things that can happen to them(wont spoil what that could be). Crafting, Bounty hunting, farming, thieving, owning a shop or even build a city and fill it with npcs doing your work, are all in if you feel like doing that.

Really surprised by how good it is. Big thumbs up from me!

Last edited:
Associate
Spotted a few videos of people doing playthroughs of this, it's definitely sparked some interest from me and I'm not normally into these kind of games.

I'm gonna give the demo a go first, but it's been getting some very good feedback in it's recent reviews.

Soldato
Despite looking trash, I am hooked. I've got a self sufficient outpost set up, not a great location but wanted the HN protection from their patrols and a close place to sell stuff. I have a scout who has 95 athletics so just sprints around the map. Found my first ancient book. Now beginning to train up so i can go out and fight some stuff.

Soldato
This game deserves a lot more recognition than it has. It's an absolute hit for me, I'm so addicted! Everything you do feels like a proper event/story and well thought out. 9/10 easily

Last edited:
Associate
ive been playing this for a little bit, im playing it as a robot(skeleton) "army" although i only have 4 recruits so far (skeletons seems to be very rare and hard to recruit) but we go around and decimate most things its good fun i just need more recruits!

Associate
I'm almost at a point where I'm self sufficient, I'm holed up in a canyon with a river by my side so I've got plenty of space to fish, plus I've got a good iron ore to farm and sell at the nearest town.

The fishing just seems a little slow to sustain me at the moment so I'm stocking up on food every now from town. I spent a lot of money hiring mercs to protect my outpost but I've had a few occasions where I've had to bribe raiding parties to survive. I also sent a little scout party out into the map to explore, they got pretty far and discovered quite a few locations. I sent them to explore the desert but they all got battered by a giant spider monster. One of them is still alive but he's crippled and has no first aid left, so it looks like it will be a slow grim fate for him.

The world is brutal and unforgiving, I feel like I could be raided and wiped out at any point.

Soldato
I've been conned. Bought a ruined building but there's no option to repair it

I'm by no means an expert, only played it this weekend, but I think you'll need to buy building materials. Lets say the condition is 10/15 then you need to buy 5 building materials and then assign the person(s) with materials as engineer.

Permabanned
@bayo000

Thanks, actually just needed to hold RMB over the building.

After I build my storage box I ran to the nearest town with nothing, and two days later I head home with a huge rucksack full of stolen goodies. As I afk through the gatehouse the guards swarm me for a 'smuggling check', lol.

Soldato
When I bought a ruined building I had to go and get some building materials for them to repair it, probably depends on size/ condition of the building. I increased my party size to 7 last night and now I'm deciding where to build my own base or whether to buy more ruined buildings in Hub and lead a city life.

Associate
When I bought a ruined building I had to go and get some building materials for them to repair it, probably depends on size/ condition of the building. I increased my party size to 7 last night and now I'm deciding where to build my own base or whether to buy more ruined buildings in Hub and lead a city life.

you could do that then build an army and take hub for yourself!

Associate
If you want to make your own settlement then I'd highly recommend building some research benches in your owned buildings in town first. Spend a bit of time buying the research books and crafting them from paper when you get a chance. Research as much as you can and stock up on plenty of materials, as soon as you start building you will be under constant threat so you need to get some defenses ready quickly.

I made the mistake of starting an outpost under-prepared and was constantly doing trips back to town for more materials and food. I was wiped out pretty quickly by raiding parties as well, they would just stroll into my outpost and take what they wanted.

Soldato
I already researched all Tier 1 and 2 tech and am most of the way through Tier 3 stuff, getting to a point when I need the ancient books that cost 5k to progress further.
I think I'll buy one or two more buildings in Hub and get a feel for some crafting before settling my own base.

Soldato
If you want to make your own settlement then I'd highly recommend building some research benches in your owned buildings in town first. Spend a bit of time buying the research books and crafting them from paper when you get a chance. Research as much as you can and stock up on plenty of materials, as soon as you start building you will be under constant threat so you need to get some defenses ready quickly.

I made the mistake of starting an outpost under-prepared and was constantly doing trips back to town for more materials and food. I was wiped out pretty quickly by raiding parties as well, they would just stroll into my outpost and take what they wanted.

You can also speak to mercs in town and hire them for 2k per day to protect while you get your walls etc up. (make sure outpost has been started or you will hire them as body guards rather than to protect your settlement)

Back
Top Bottom