Can users try this monitor Black test link?

Soldato
Possibly #2, definitely #3, on a Dell 2407WFP (from 2007) :D

Turns out to be S-PVA, but good luck finding one of those these days... too reliable for modern models :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
1 on my Dell S2716DG (TN) with default settings and still 1 just about with my tweaks but more like 2 with it tweaked to look superficially like the IPS beside it.

EDIT: The IPS is pretty much the same as my tweaked settings on the TN (also Dell) 1 possibly, 2 definitely.

Soldato
OP
Reason i ask is that i read a comment from a reddit user that claimed to work in Monitor support and said that the vast majority of TN panels see the #1 & 2 tiles on default settings and the VA,IPS mostly tend to see the #3 & 4 tiles so i thought it would be interesting to see if this is true amongst us on OCUK.

Though it's rather subjective as some people run auto dynamic contrast and some people plainly don't care if they have over the top brightness,contrast and gamma settings .. :)

Associate
hahaha, on this crappy packard bell (Viseo 243D) monitor in work, the first square that looks different is #20
I think it's a TN panel

[edit] ok, seems all the settings were wrong. Looked fine for office work tho :p
After resetting and playing with brightness, contrast and gamma, I can see all the squares starting with #1

Last edited:
Associate
I saw from 2 onward very clearly defined on an old Samsung LED Synchmaster SA300, not even sure what kind of screen it is.

But without this particular setting all the blacks on Nvidia cards can look a bit washed out to me.

Nvidia control panel:

Adjust Video Colour Settings: Use Nvidia Settings: Advanced Dynamic range: Set to Full 0-255.

For whatever reason the default is 15-235 which is much worse for blacks. 0-255 should make all the black squares distinguishable. Couldn't believe how much better games looked when I enabled it, that and digital vibrance to 50% too. Why the hell Nvidia have inferior colour depth as a default setting is beyond me.

Associate
Asus PB278 (Original, not the subsequent versions). Set to default sRGB, brightness and contrast.

Can not differentiate 1 and 2 unless at vertical angle, whereby it shows some marginal difference, where if you eyes are great, you'll be able to tell the difference, but only if you're looking for them. If not, you'll notice something, but can't really tell a difference.

Back
Top Bottom