diet tips: willpower?

Soldato
:cool:

I agree it is not rocket science, i pointed out in the opening thread that i know i should say no to the fizzys, chips, snacks etc cut out sugar , goto the gym etc, the title is more about willpower like how do people stay on the straight and narrow

willpower is willpower - it's up to you to change things - no one else can. Your choice. You can say no, you can say yes, but ultimately if your thread is about stopping eatin rubbish saying no etc - then that's all on you. Your choice.

Soldato
Intermittent fasting has been good for me.

Only eat 1 meal between 6pm and 7pm and then no food at all until 6pm the next day.

Only drinking water and tea without sugar and milk.

Similar to what I did. The result you get is amazing. Got down to 12.12st and while keeping my muscle due to training at the gym.

Would like for my friend to try it but he thinks you can outrun a bad diet.

Soldato
Well fizzy drinks are fine as long as they are sugar free.
lol yeah right.

One rule I learnt, from reading clinical books, going to seminars, helping people lose weight, watching them put it back on - is you can't outrun a bad diet, it starts and ends with diet.
I hate the word "diet" - Ultimately it's a short term fix for a longer term problem.
I always say this, and that "diet" is not a verb in my book. It's just what you eat. Going "on a diet" is a nonsense. If you're currently overweight/unhealthy due to your lifestyle/food then you need to change something permanently. The quicker you get your head round that, the better you'll be.

I drink about 20 pepsi max per week, it helps keep the cravings away.
3 a day? That's mental...

Honestly to the OP I would learn how to cook. Get some bish-bash-bosh Jamie Oliver books, or even something like Jack Monroe (very cheap and healthy). The more you cook the more you'll get an appreciate for real food. Your palette will improve and you won't go around like a 5 year old craving heaps and salt and sugar. And once you realise that you can cook a tasty meal wuicker than Deliveroo then you'll stop doing that too.

And to the example of going out for a Nandos, it's already been covered but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. You just need to make sure it's more like once a week rather than 3-4 times a week.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
As people have mentioned its very very simple.

You burn more than you eat you will lose weight......

You can break this down into whatever fad of eating you wish, KETO, ATKINS etc it doesnt matter and whatever works for you.

So the best thing and only thing you can do is gather data on what you eat so that means tracking calories. MFP is a popular one although it does from from the Americanisation of the internet syndrome.

Soldato
What's the issue? They are zero calories.
They might be zero calories but they contain a whole load of chemicals including Aspartame. No thanks.

INGREDIENTS:
CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, ASPARTAME, POTASSIUM BENZOATE, NATURAL FLAVORS, POTASSIUM CITRATE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CAFFEINE.
Not to mention there's plenty of evidence that show diet drinks are just as bad for you. Your body "tastes" and therefore expects sugar when you drink it. Yet you never get the real sugar/carb hit. Therefore your body ends up confused and craves it even more. Makes you crave other carbs as well. I'd much rather have the sugar.

Anyway, just look at those ingredients. You don't need to be a scientist to realise that isn't good for you. Just drink water ffs. I rarely drink fizzy drinks at all, if I do I can barely finish a can in one sitting. It's just total overload, sugar, flavourings, chemicals etc. Yuck.

Associate
Fasting is also a good shout, just don't stuff yourself though when you eventually allow yourself to eat. Give your body a break from constantly processing food. You'll be surprised at how little food the body needs especially if you live a sedentary lifestyle. Just don't give in to eating your when body just decides its low on glucose - power through.

I agree with allot of points made ITT, a diet is only temporary. You need to be looking at changing your whole lifestyle and making it sustainable. I've been eating just one meal a day for the past 4 months, barely even think about food whilst at work now. I relax this a little at weekends though as a reward.

Soldato
As people have mentioned its very very simple.

You burn more than you eat you will lose weight......

You can break this down into whatever fad of eating you wish, KETO, ATKINS etc it doesnt matter and whatever works for you.

So the best thing and only thing you can do is gather data on what you eat so that means tracking calories. MFP is a popular one although it does from from the Americanisation of the internet syndrome.

I don't think it's fair to call those types of diets fads. They're just different ways of eating - or a change of diet in the non-weight loss sense.

The ones that I think are fads are the type that say, "if you do what we say you'll lose more weight than anyone else could ever help you to lose" and the diet purely consists of eating 1,500 calories a day made up of their milkshakes or something.

When I did intermitteng fasting, whic hyou may well consider a fad, it was because I'd forgotten what it was to feel hungry and fasting in the mornings help me remember and to listen to my stomach. It also meant that I could eat more later in the day without it contravening my diet.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
DIETS are a FAD useful if you want to achieve something short term gain or shock.

LIFESTYLE CHANGE is different, A habbit takes 4 weeks or something like that doesnt it ?

So moral fibre for a month and it should be second nature :)

Tracking what you eat works, simple as that. IF you eat 2300 Calories a day and your sat at a desk your going to put on weight, eat 1900 a day and you will lose weight sat at your desk. It might not be 1kg a week maybe 1kg a month. You could eat that in one massive fry up and you would still not put on weight.

Oh and for the record if you do not like a 2k calorie fry up you are dead on the inside :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
So, you decide if something is good or bad for you based on if you like the sound of the ingredients or not? :confused:

Ever heard of Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Yes, i do this all the time, A carrot is a carrot, a can of zero is manufactured crap and a marketing gimmick to help maintain profits for a drink that goes well with Rum :)

In general the more you go from "natural" source the worse it gets.

Its why they have to put the goodness back in cornflakes. mmmmm cornflakes.

Soldato
'You don't need to be a scientist' yet you've provided absolutely nothing other than your own opinion... Let's see your evidence.
Nah.

Standard line from anyone who tries to warn people off diet/sugar free soft drinks.
And? My argument is that sugar in moderation is better for you than chemicals that have been formulated to replace it. This is especially true for people that are unable to moderate their intake. They'd be better off having 1 full-fat coke a week rather than pretending 2-3 coke zero's a day is normal.

So, you decide if something is good or bad for you based on if you like the sound of the ingredients or not? :confused:
No, but as above all these diet drinks have been formulated to copy sugar. Firstly, they taste awful. The girlfriend and I had to give up buying Ribena because they replaced sugar with sweeteners. Secondly, it's been noted that people expect the 'sugar hit' and don't get it. So you crave more and want to eat more. Have you ever wondered why only fat people drink diet drinks? Have you ever wondered why so many people that drink diet drinks, drink them so often?

I get bored with all the arguments anyway. I don't feel the need to drink any sort of flavoured drinks to hydrate myself. I drink tea, coffee, fresh juice, beer, wine... but all with water. People need to just accept that if you need approx 1.2 litres of water a day (according to the NHS) -- if you're doing that with any sort of sweetened stuff, be it juice, coke, coke zero, whatever then that's an awful lot of sugar/chemicals you're going to get into the habit of ingesting. Just drink water ffs. People like the OP need to learn that rather than emulating the need for sugar, just accept it should be a treat and you shouldn't be having it so often.

EDIT:
Yes, i do this all the time, A carrot is a carrot, a can of zero is manufactured crap and a marketing gimmick to help maintain profits for a drink that goes well with Rum :)
Ha, well put. You could extrapolate that to -- yes I'll eat my spaghetti bolognese that I made from scratch with garlic, onions, beef mince, tinned tomatoes and fresh herbs. Oh and the fresh pasta that I made with two eggs and 200g flour :p

Soldato
Get something like My Fitness Pal app, this can track your calories and also any exercise you do.

You have to want it to do it at the end of the day, if you don't have the willpower to say no to a cake in the office etc you are going to struggle. But that is not to say you can't have treats within moderation.

Don't expect to lose that weight quickly either, if you're burning actual fat its a slow process so you have to be able to stick to it for a prolonged period of time - don't do crash diets as this is just starving yourself and your losing muscle more than anything.

Associate

Thought as much.

And? My argument is that sugar in moderation is better for you than chemicals that have been formulated to replace it. This is especially true for people that are unable to moderate their intake. They'd be better off having 1 full-fat coke a week rather than pretending 2-3 coke zero's a day is normal.

Proof?

Back
Top Bottom