• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll, nVidia CEO on Free Sync, is he believable or not?

Do you believe Jensen Huang

• I believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • I do not believe Jensen Huang

Votes: 118 61.5%
  • Pancakes

Votes: 53 27.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
The main issue is ranges. There can be a 144Hz monitor that states "Freesync" but might only have a range of 48Hz-70Hz in which Freesync works. This is the main problem with Freesync. Check out this list of Freesync monitors and their ranges.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

And a warning for those who are unclear of what is what (seems like a lot of people here)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-warning-for-vrr-freesync-display-owners-buyers.56148/

Quite an eye opener if you ask me.
And yet LG's newest ultrawide is limited to 120Hz because of G-SYNC. If you want to go above 120Hz with G-SYNC you have to pay a lot of money and have a whacking great fan stuck in your screen.

Like so many have said, each tech has it's issues.

Associate
amd gives freesync to nvidia and people on here are getting all upset /g sync is dead so get over it and stop whinging

Associate
Well, the good thing is Nvidia is allowing even non-certified Freesync monitors to work, so it doensn't actually matter if he is wrong or or not, and we will also get a clear idea of how many freesync monitors are just not working well.
imo it does matter if hes wrong or not, because people buy into it and now you have hundreds of people on the Internet who believe his bs and start spreading miss information.

Associate
G-Sync still has better ranges and a better variable overdrive.
from a technical point of view freesync has the higher range, however panel makers do not use the broader range of VRR in adaptive sync because its the easy option not to.

so whilst your statement is true at this point in time because of nvidias module, doesn't mean it will be true in a week or month etc. especially now both companies use adaptive sync based on the spec

(freesync(adaptive sync) range can be 9-240hz)

Last edited:
Soldato
The main issue is ranges. There can be a 144Hz monitor that states "Freesync" but might only have a range of 48Hz-70Hz in which Freesync works. This is the main problem with Freesync. Check out this list of Freesync monitors and their ranges.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

And a warning for those who are unclear of what is what (seems like a lot of people here)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-warning-for-vrr-freesync-display-owners-buyers.56148/

Quite an eye opener if you ask me.

Not really, and I wouldn't trust what NV said about FS or how they tested FS either:

“We never competed,” Huang said of upcoming FreeSync support. “(FreeSync) was never proven to work. As you know, we invented the area of adaptive sync. The truth is most of the FreeSync monitors do not work. They do not even work with AMD’s graphics cards.”

That's clearly complete BS.

Caporegime
Like I said above Freesync is from having its faults and the same for Gsync it's also far from being perfect and users report same issues.

Had a little Google and you can find anything about Gsync that has also been reported by Freesync users.
Black screen flickering, is it common? Probably not is your issue common again probably not.
It just proves they are not free from gliching out.

Edit
Couple weeks old, Nvidia driver breaking Gsync

You know what I wanted to add videos of Freesync but it would seem they isn't much to go off from YouTube. I wanted to keep the search fair so I got videos up from 1 month ago and am surprised just how much Gsync videos they is showing up.

Guess they've both got faults then.

Associate
from a technical point of view freesync has the higher range, however panel makers do not use the broader range of VRR in adaptive sync because its the easy option not to.

so whilst your statement is true at this point in time because of nvidias module, doesn't mean it will be true in a week or month etc. especially now both companies use adaptive sync based on the spec

(freesync(adaptive sync) range can be 9-240hz)
If they try to implement a range from 1-144Hz like g-sync and implement a proper variable overdrive the price of the FreeSync monitor would likely increase. Both features are supported by all G-Sync monitors. The only FreeSync monitor which supports variable overdrive properly is the Nixeus EDG 27

Last edited:
Associate
If they try to implement a range from 1-144Hz like g-sync and implement a proper variable overdrive the price of the FreeSync monitor would likely increase. Both features are supported by all G-Sync monitors. The only FreeSync monitor which supports variable overdrive properly is the Nixeus EDG 27
the cost difference between a lower end and higher end scaler is not as big as you would think. i think most would be happy of a 5-10 quid increase for a bigger range. just not 250+ like a gsync module.

Associate
the cost difference between a lower end and higher end scaler is not as big as you would think. i think most would be happy of a 5-10 quid increase for a bigger range. just not 250+ like a gsync module.

Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later as my only gripes with FreeSync are lack of variable over drive and the range. What with the video card prices increasing and all, lower frame rates is an inevitability and the monitor must perform the best in the 30-50 fps range without any ghosting. Already AC:Odyssey knocks down my framerates into the high forties in the towns and cities because of CPU bottleneck on an RTX 2080.

Soldato
I just searched and there are loads of issues with flickering, brigthness flickering, black screen flickering etc on AMD GPUs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...O_fAhXeRhUIHVZTBuMQ_AUIDygC&biw=1916&bih=1042

Fill your boots ;)

Well of course there are gonna be issues with AMD GPUs. Up until today they're the only GPUs it worked on...

He said Freesync doens't work on some AMD GPUs and screens, that is a fact.

He never said Freesync never works properly on any screen. He said the exact opposite, including that at least 12 screens work very well on Nvidia GPUs and more Freesync screen will be certified later. ther screens may work well but not have sufficient operating range.

He literally said it's never been proven to work. That supercedes anything else he said because of how much of an absolute statement that is.

I never said they did? I also never said some and you are the one implying what Jen said. Maybe you should stick to what you know?

Yeah you did. See below.

any old screen was churned out with no worry or care from AMD

Soldato
I've done blind A/B tests of Freesync and G-Sync and more than a few times I picked Freesync as being G-Sync.

I've never liked Jensen as he is a horrible little man that has no concept of what good customer relations are so anything he says I take with a grain of salt or ignore completely.

Soldato
It would appear Nvidia are desperate to standardise and claim ownership of variable refresh ranges but only after fully capitalising on Gsync and deliberately alienating half of the market.

“You have a freesync monitor but it can’t do what we say is ‘standard’? Oh well you’ll need to pay our tax then for a monitor which meets our specifications”

The whole thing is an absolute crock of ****. It may sound and appear beneficial, but in reality it’s just another way for Jensen to further his empire and market monopoly while killing the interest of competition.

Caporegime
It would appear Nvidia are desperate to standardise and claim ownership of variable refresh ranges but only after fully capitalising on Gsync and deliberately alienating half of the market.

“You have a freesync monitor but it can’t do what we say is ‘standard’? Oh well you’ll need to pay our tax then for a monitor which meets our specifications”

The whole thing is an absolute crock of ****. It may sound and appear beneficial, but in reality it’s just another way for Jensen to further his empire and market monopoly while killing the interest of competition.

Yup, as i've said before part of his mantra for what constitutes a fail was gsync not being enabled automatically, i'd be willing to bet the lions share failed on that alone because they were never meant to be gsync enabled in the first place. It's a hilariously slanted test system (if one even exists) they have in place just to make their more expensive solution look better. But sadly people gobble this crap up and regurgitate it because Herr Jensen spoke it and therefore it must be truth :rolleyes:.

Soldato
Yup, as i've said before part of his mantra for what constitutes a fail was gsync not being enabled automatically, i'd be willing to bet the lions share failed on that alone because they were never meant to be gsync enabled in the first place. It's a hilariously slanted test system (if one even exists) they have in place just to make their more expensive solution look better. But sadly people gobble this crap up and regurgitate it because Herr Jensen spoke it and therefore it must be truth :rolleyes:.

From what he’s said and regurgitated himself over the years i.e. “there won’t be a new GTX series for the foreseeable future..” and more recently pitching RTX as if it’s a viable worthwhile investment, you would really hope everyone has woken up to the fact that what he says, has and always will be the absolute boundary of the truth.

Associate
Just tried it and when applied the screen goes black then comes back. Tried Pendulum demo and BF1 and screen just blacks out....I had to then connect via HDMI to get screen back to sort out NVCP and disable G-Sync. Any ideas or suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom