The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
depMnic.jpg

Panasonic Lumix G9 with Lieca kit lens. I brought a Panasonic TZ100 as a travel camera back in the summer and after spending 3 weeks in Thailand during november I decided I wanted to get into photography as a hobby more seriously. This was taken on an Axon 7 phone so not great quality.

This thread is great to give me some ideas of what other kit like tripods and equipment bags to buy but not good for my wallet.

Last edited:
Associate
I am finding the size to be fine. I used to use 35mm SLR back in the 80's as a teen but have not used a proper camera since then so I am having to relearn everything.
I work in the docks and we have high multi decks for car storage so some of the views across the solent and southampton water look great but something the size of my TZ100 just wont get the kind of shot I want.

View attachment KRkn0JG.jpg

This was a quick shot without a tripod at night. I learnt today that I went about getting the shot wrong and needed to up the aperture and not the ISO. I was going to get out and about to learn how to use it these past 2 days but its been really overcast here so ended up watching youtube videos learning how to use it as there is a couple of vloggers who use the G9 professionally and they have very good content about the G9.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm, I've tried the G9 in a store along with the 12-60 on it, the G9 body was a little on the large side for me but it is a very capable body, I may have to just slowly save up for it and buy it when there is an offer on it.

Associate
Hmmm, I've tried the G9 in a store along with the 12-60 on it, the G9 body was a little on the large side for me but it is a very capable body, I may have to just slowly save up for it and buy it when there is an offer on it.

I get the impression that Panasonic are trying to get people who are used to the ergonomics and layouts of full frame DSLR's to buy it so that and the heat dissipation needed for 4K60 video has dictated the need for it to be bigger but overall it doesnt seem to big for me but I have long hands. I am sure after using it for a while you will get used to the extra size over your current one.

Caporegime
@killem Nice setup. I purchased the Leica 12-60 a few weeks back, its a great all purpose lens. I looked at the G9 but can't justify the cost for me being a hobbyist.

How are you finding the size of the G9?

I got a cracking deal on the G9 after Xmas. £1050 then £250 cashback and selling the Panasonic 12-60 kit lens for another £150 or so. So works out baout £650 for the body. Happy with that! A good deal may crop up again.

Caporegime
I get the impression that Panasonic are trying to get people who are used to the ergonomics and layouts of full frame DSLR's to buy it so that and the heat dissipation needed for 4K60 video has dictated the need for it to be bigger but overall it doesnt seem to big for me but I have long hands. I am sure after using it for a while you will get used to the extra size over your current one.

The G9 was basically a trial run for their FF body from what I can see. They're very similar.

Associate
I got a cracking deal on the G9 after Xmas. £1050 then £250 cashback and selling the Panasonic 12-60 kit lens for another £150 or so. So works out baout £650 for the body. Happy with that! A good deal may crop up again.
I just missed out on that deal from john lewis. I saw it posted in the deals thread a bit too late. How are you finding the G9?

Caporegime
I just missed out on that deal from john lewis. I saw it posted in the deals thread a bit too late. How are you finding the G9?

It's performance is better than my GX8 in everyway, CAF and IBIS are the big stand outs. I think it's too big, and I wouldn't be investing in m43 if buying new but for me it was a good move. Means I can keep my lens collection going for a good few years longer.

I actually prefer the GX8 RF layout I think but it's been easy to transfer to the G9. The customisation and extre buttons on the G9 are better thought out and I've not scratched the surface yet.

Caporegime
There is a consistent trade off with tripods. Lighter ones are great for travelling but are less stable in less than ideal conditions. So you got to balance up what is more important for you. :)

Soldato
That's it I had a heavier larger manfrotto but I never took it out because it's too heavy and too bulky.
This will fit in my bag.

Only downside I can see is the fixed center column bit I can live with that as the legs are nice and adjustable for angle.

Associate
Yep its the controller that sits on camera via the hot-shoe, has the ability to control multiple Godox flashes (any Studio, Witstros, speedlights), all settings quickly accessible without having to visit/configure each flash.

I am interested in getting a Wireless trigger set up in the near future. My current speedlites are Canon 580 Mkii and 430 Mkii and can be triggered wireless by optical trigger on my Canon EOS 7Dii pop up flash. However HSS is not available and it has to be line of sight as well. I woild to get one or two AD200's
I have looked at the YongNuo wireless setup which seems cheap enough, though I have read it can sometimes be unreliable !

Soldato
I had a 580 Mkii and 430 Mkii combo on my old camera (in fact still need to sell these speedlites) and used to use a YongNuo trigger and receivers to fire them wirelessly.

I believe the Canon variant of the Godox XPro can also control some Canon flashes but not sure if that includes the 580 and 430. If I was you I'd be tempted to sell the two Canon flashes and put the funds into buying an initial Godox setup consisting of an XPro controller, an AD200 and a then a speedlite (350C/685 in whatever battery setup). Would make a fairly versatile initial setup that can then be easily expanded.

Soldato
I am interested in getting a Wireless trigger set up in the near future. My current speedlites are Canon 580 Mkii and 430 Mkii and can be triggered wireless by optical trigger on my Canon EOS 7Dii pop up flash. However HSS is not available and it has to be line of sight as well. I woild to get one or two AD200's
I have looked at the YongNuo wireless setup which seems cheap enough, though I have read it can sometimes be unreliable !
Yongnuo stuff is fine but the connections need to be 100% or yes it can not trigger or fail to get ETTL etc.

Back
Top Bottom