Games like Eve Online?

Associate
I'll have a look at some YouTube vids of Star Citizen. I'd heard quite bad things about it though, and all the crowdfunding and so on.

It's a strange one, over 200 million raised I'm not comfortable with that style of business model but some of the game design is brilliant. I still go back to Elite though.

Any way F4 toggles camera perspective. You lose the HUD elements in 3rd person.

Man of Honour
I'm seriously not convinced by Star Citizen - some of the design is really good but the gameplay bits I've seen so far are really very very poor once you boil it down and see past the spectacle of it - I think those that are closer to the game i.e. serious backers are looking at it through rose tinted glasses somewhat.

Associate
tbh mate, there is no other game like EVE online, the reason all the trading and building works so well is from the market being player driven not many games have that kind of live market. You can play EVE for free by making enough isk to buy your plex.
I got Star citizen too, was gonna be like eve but you could fly the ship and walk around with all the trading in, but if i am honest i don't think all the cool stuff of EVE like market pvp will make its way to SC.

Associate
OP
tbh mate, there is no other game like EVE online, the reason all the trading and building works so well is from the market being player driven not many games have that kind of live market. You can play EVE for free by making enough isk to buy your plex.
I got Star citizen too, was gonna be like eve but you could fly the ship and walk around with all the trading in, but if i am honest i don't think all the cool stuff of EVE like market pvp will make its way to SC.

Yeah, I kinda suspected that.

I'll see how I get on with X4 when I get chance to spend a couple of hours with it, and if the worst comes to the worst then I may revisit Eve. I seem to remember when I last played someone blew up my ship and took all my cargo!

Soldato
I'm looking for a game similar to Eve Online that doesn't require a subscription?

I gave Elite Dangerous a whirl, but I didn't really want a game where you fly the ship first person. Preferably something that is KB/M driven.

Something that I can do trading, crafting etc in..

Any suggestions?

There is no substitution to EVE.

Associate
OP
Had a look at Homeworld. Music seems good on the trailer.

Will prob pick it up before the sale ends.

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2 is another I looked at. Bit steep at the mo tho.

Soldato
Maybe Rebel Galaxy?

Not this one necessarily but the next game which is released soon Rebel Galaxy Outlaw more RPG elements, more arcady but I can't imagine it'll be as in depth as X4, Elite or Eve.

Star Citizen is one of those big ideas that is not panning out in actual game play yet as it's still seems to disjointed and clunky. What's the actual cost of starting a game now? I know I did pay the basic £10 right at the beginning just because I really wanted a game with that scope having played the original series of games.

At Elite launch I made enough money mining to upgrade a ship for trading to make money it took days/weeks. Now you just do the "Road to Riches" scanning systems in order to get a few mill to upgrade a mining vessel and then make 100s of millions mining in a few days. They've made the game more accessible to "modern gamers" but to an old school gamer like me it could simply be seen as pandering to the loot box generation.

They do have to attract new gamers after all and I am still playing the new content and will again when they release the next big (though paid) update.

Last edited:
Soldato
Elite is a very different experience really, it's so big that something like 98% of the galaxy is still unexplored. Once you leave inhabited space and busy trade routes, it's effectively a single player game because the chances of running in to another ship is so tiny :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Like Eve?

Microsoft Excel.

LOL!

To be fair so much of Eve that isn't (wasn't) like Excel - one of my favourite things was poking the nullsec bear out of a WH with triage + a dozen T3s who'd drop a 100-200 man home defence fleet on us for instance https://zkillboard.com/related/30003786/201312032100/ - sadly that fight went a bit sideways as our triage pilot after mouthing off about people flying capitals without the support skills to 5 was flying a carrier without the support skills to 5 that gave maximum repair range and some of us were setup out of repair range of his level 4 skill :(

Soldato
I'm looking for a game similar to Eve Online that doesn't require a subscription?

I gave Elite:Dangerous a whirl, but I didn't really want a game where you fly the ship first person. Preferably something that is KB/M driven.

Something that I can do trading, crafting etc in..

Any suggestions?
Star Trek Online is free, has trading and crafting and tones more content then Eve-online although its a lot more casual and PvE focused then Eve. If solo/offline play is ok there are a lot of options that have not been listed. Is online a requirement?

Back
Top Bottom