*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
For £60 the Unifi Cloud Key is purpose-built to run the controller. Yes, it’s not the cheapest option, but it is by far the simplest as you just plug it in to USB or PoE and it powers up and you log in.

Not cheap but it's deploy and forget. The java nonsense on another system is a PITA unless you are deploying on purpose built hardware (Pi or similar)

Soldato
While the spec of the Cloud Key isn't exactly incredible, it is slightly limiting in terms of what the controller can monitor while running. I'm sure at home you wouldn't ever get close to the hardware limits of a Raspberry Pi, but even with 20 or 30 users I've seen Cloud Key's miss heatbeats.

Soldato
While the spec of the Cloud Key isn't exactly incredible, it is slightly limiting in terms of what the controller can monitor while running. I'm sure at home you wouldn't ever get close to the hardware limits of a Raspberry Pi, but even with 20 or 30 users I've seen Cloud Key's miss heatbeats.

They have done a new version of the key that's supposed to be able to cope better.

Soldato
What does the cloud key offer for a home user. Not interested in guest accounts.
Only got 1 AC Pro at the minute but I'm thinking off adding another soon.

Associate
What does the cloud key offer for a home user. Not interested in guest accounts.
Only got 1 AC Pro at the minute but I'm thinking off adding another soon.

The only benefits for a home user are that you can remotely manage your system, get email alerts and have logging.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
If you aren't using any 'advanced' feature just run it on your computer. While I'm in decorating mode, I've only got my mac running at the mo, so instead of running on the pi, it's running on an ubuntu vm along with a vpn server and pi hole.

Associate
I'm considering getting a Unifi setup in my house and could do with some help from you knowledgable people :)

Current setup is Sky Fibre, 3x Q boxes, 3x Orbi in AP mode, with the Q boxes using the ethernet on the Orbi to communicate with each other (rather than Sky's mesh). Sky Fibre proving very unreliable (need to restart daily), Orbi boxes need often restarts too and are generally unreliable. Planning on switching to BT Business Fibre (also because I need a static IP), put the Sky boxes back on their own mesh, and get Unifi sorted for everything else.

My plan is:
BT Business Smart Hub (in bridge mode) OR Draytek Vigor 130 for the modem
USG for the router
1 or more Unifi APs - this is the bit I'm unsure about

Here is a plan of my house, except the living/dining are now knocked through into one room. Old Victorian terrace with thick walls. Internet enters the house in the bottom-left corner of the living room (behind TV) - red dot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5qjqou36z0sl9g/TAP0974001.jpg?dl=0

Here's the issue - I can't easily run ethernet cables to APs inside the house and ceiling mounting would be very difficult. Do you reckon if I put an AC PRO in the living room, this could cover the whole house? I could run a cable over to the blue dot quite easily, so it would be fairly central. The only thing, it would be on top of a shelving unit, so would be "upside down" (i.e. pointing upwards), which I guess isn't ideal?

Or maybe if I got somebody round to run a network cable, from the living room, outside up the side of the house, and into the loft - then have an AP (which one?) pointing downwards in the centre of the house? This could be either in the loft of on the upstairs landing ceiling (can route cable through loft hatch).

My office is in the basement, so I need good coverage there. Running a network cable from the living room, outside and down into the basement, would be relatively easy. Not sure if that helps?

Any advice really appreciated!

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there much different between the Lite AP and the long range AP? There’s not much in it pricewise so may be sensible to go for the one with the longer range?

What I was told was even though it is LR, Devices like phones etc probably won't be. They will be able to hear it but won't be able to speak due to the range.

Soldato
We live in a very similar property, with one AC Lite positioned in the alcove between your two dots, mounted on the frieze. From there, it covers the main house, including the basement and attic. I also get a usable signal about 30m down the garden (about 1/3rd of the way), but I'm planning on adding an external access point to give full coverage in the garden.

We also have a coachhouse type entrance to the left of the layout, above which is my study, and signal isn't great there, but it's 'behind' the access point.

Back
Top Bottom