• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Mobster
Soldato
They aren't... That's the point they're making...

If you look at my previous recent posts in this thread, I was responding to the guy that did actually buy, admitting that he was getting nothing extra and its a fail. My question was why buy it then, you know what you're buying before hand. Everyone does, they read, they investigate, the make a decision, its not like the RTX haters were silent either.

Soldato
If you look at my previous recent posts in this thread, I was responding to the guy that did actually buy, admitting that he was getting nothing extra and its a fail. My question was why buy it then, you know what you're buying before hand. Everyone does, they read, they investigate, the make a decision, its not like the RTX haters were silent either.
You need to read it again. They didn't say they've bought it. They specifically said they're skipping it. Their point is that the 2080 offers the same performance as the 1080ti at the same price, 2 years after the 1080ti released.

Anything beyond that is stuff you're imagining

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
You need to read it again. They didn't day they've bought it. They specifically said they're skipping it. Their point is that the 2080 offers the same performance as the 1080ti at the same price, 2 years after the 1080ti released.

Anything beyond that is stuff you're imagining

You're correct. Read it wrong.

Soldato
NGL I was getting a bit nvydious when they were showing the difference on the train's side with shadows over character, the mood of the scene changes significantly, but everywhere else it looks like meh, and since the framerate for 4K 30 wouldn't allow a 2070 to use it anyway, meh again.

I think it will be interesting to revisit this with next gen, and I'd be curious to see if Arcturus will bring its own DXR & be usable in Metro. Still haven't played the first two though, so not in a rush either way. :p

A similar situation technologically as the first one, took a while for a card to max it:

1529334986626zawoz79_7_4.png

Soldato
As time passes and the years roll by the technology will improve and devs will learn how to use it properly.

Judging it now as the finished article is a bit premature.

AMD will bring RT to Radeon as well when the time is right.

It's not like Nvidia are doing something that is going to go the way of the dodo.

It needs time to mature.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Can't say I'm blown away by RTX on in Metro, certainly not worth paying a premium for the hardware yet anyway.

Will sit it out for a generation or 2 when hopefully the performance will be there and developers have had more time to work with the technology. Hopefully by then we'll have both companies making ray tracing capable hardware and it be available for a sensible price point.

Caporegime
Add also the DLSS blurring and we have a fail?
Ooops no. Nvidia says it will take time for the AI to be trained to use DLSS effectively to remove the blur....:D

Ah they had to add that caveat. When they first announced dlss it was the easiest thing ever, "yeah we run it through our supercomputer and bobs your uncle". Now it has to learn which could mean multiple attempts to get it right.

Soldato
Ah they had to add that caveat. When they first announced dlss it was the easiest thing ever, "yeah we run it through our supercomputer and bobs your uncle". Now it has to learn which could mean multiple attempts to get it right.

By that time it will be 2020 with new gen of cards at Samsung 7nm+ (EUV) process. Which make the current products depreciate more than Pascal has done up to now.

Soldato
The pricing is obscene now and at this rate a lot of pc gamers will be priced out the market.

Oh that's ridiculous, there's a card for every budget. I could very happily game on an RX 580 for £179.99 or if I was feeling very extravagant, stretch to a Vega 56 for £299.99. I dont see anything wrong with graphics card prices. It's only the very best has gotten expensive but I've always ignored that end of the market anyway just like when I'm buying a pair of jeans or a new watch.

Soldato
DLSS is getting a lot of bad feedback, A killer feature labed up wrong by Nvidia. We was all led to believe "Me included" That DLSS would allow you to upscale an image at say 1440p or 1800p and get a 4k image without loss to quality and gain performance.

All I am seeing here is the poor effect you get when running VSR at a none native resolution "BLURRR" It looks worst than the worst AA FXAA

I agree with this Tweet!
Ryan Smith‏ @RyanSmithAT
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that NVIDIA went about DLSS the wrong way. Rather than pitching it as an image upscaling routine to allow for better perf, they should have pitched DLSS 2X, the image quality enhancing version, as the default mode

Caporegime
DLSS is getting a lot of bad feedback, A killer feature labed up wrong by Nvidia. We was all led to believe "Me included" That DLSS would allow you to upscale an image at say 1440p or 1800p and get a 4k image without loss to quality and gain performance.

All I am seeing here is the poor effect you get when running VSR at a none native resolution "BLURRR" It looks worst than the worst AA FXAA

I agree with this Tweet!
Ryan Smith‏ @RyanSmithAT
The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that NVIDIA went about DLSS the wrong way. Rather than pitching it as an image upscaling routine to allow for better perf, they should have pitched DLSS 2X, the image quality enhancing version, as the default mode

It doesn't look great to be honest, i was very skeptical when they first announced it as well. It might have some games where it looks good but for faster moving fps games i think it's always going to have some kind of blur attached to it. I'd hate to see it in a racing game like an F1 sim or something, would be vomit inducing.

Soldato
Oh that's ridiculous, there's a card for every budget. I could very happily game on an RX 580 for £179.99 or if I was feeling very extravagant, stretch to a Vega 56 for £299.99. I dont see anything wrong with graphics card prices. It's only the very best has gotten expensive but I've always ignored that end of the market anyway just like when I'm buying a pair of jeans or a new watch.

Mid tier is getting increasingly expensive and whilst it is business and partly down to the lack of competition from AMD, no pc gamer should defend it. You don't see anything wrong as you're no doubt happy at 1080p locked to a max of 60fps. Some of us expect a bit more given that was being done years ago and technology has moved on.

Associate

There are moments where it looks amazing, like the stuff outside the train, moments when it actually hinders things and it makes it too dark, and moments when it's hard to notice any difference without a side by side. It looks like devs can't just turn it on and let it do its thing because sometimes it'll mess with how they wanted the game to look, or at least they can't whilst they're still having to implement rasterization as well.

Man of Honour
There are moments where it looks amazing, like the stuff outside the train, moments when it actually hinders things and it makes it too dark, and moments when it's hard to notice any difference without a side by side. It looks like devs can't just turn it on and let it do its thing because sometimes it'll mess with how they wanted the game to look, or at least they can't whilst they're still having to implement rasterization as well.

The actual utilisation of it seems poor to me - in many cases just flooding the scene with extra bounced light without any of the other benefits that are possible with global illuminations, etc. and very poor use when it comes to shadowing. Ray Tracing even hybrid forms are capable of so much more than this.

Back
Top Bottom