• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Associate
Oh wow.... So they were reading way too high causing early throttling?

Also.. are you making sure your overclock, especially the memory are actually improving performance and not losing perf to error correction or whatever?

The VII cards have many sensors, and the junction temp seems to control the throttling, and yes the overclocks are improving performance in real time.

Associate
I am using Vega 64 LC now, i want to update to Radeon VII, is it worth it?
Anyone update to Radeon VII from V64 LC?
Honestly, probably not. Unless you are competitive benching or desperate for a 20-30% improvement then usually it's a better rule of thumb to skip a card gen or two for each upgrade. Of course if you are just intrigued and have the money go for it, always fun playing with new tech ;)

Associate

I'm going from a Sapphire Vega 64 (daily settings 1677mhz@1120mv, 1100Mhz HBM) with EKWB block to Radeon VII. I'm waiting on the block for VII before it goes into my 4K system that is used to game exclusively on a 55" 4K TV.
Going from a Vega Liquid if I where you I'd want a liquid VII too. The 4K uplifts are looking very good even on the early drivers. (all the reviews are out of the windows with yesterdays driver really)
I personally didn't buy this card for its air cooler as nice as it looks. I stopped using air cooled cards with my R9 290 (R9 295x2 and Vega 64 then followed)
The one big advantage VII would bring you is the wattage saving, as Liquid 64 uses a crazy 1250mv and a boat load of power with it.
So to sum up, i think you have less to gain unless you where to go from Liquid to an open loop VII. (which OCUK may well offer for sale as a pre built card when blocks are in stock, if you didn't feel confident in doing it yourself)
Now 19.2.2 is out, check out youtube, updated reviews ect on games you play to get a better grip on what uplift you are now likely to get with this vastly improved driver.

Caporegime
Yes i did, i still have both.

The main benefit is the lower power draw
Says bios 016.004.000.030
After further investigation, this BIOS version (bundled on Gigabyte Rqadeon VII) does not support UEFI mode, you will need to flash the BIOS update we released.

I enabled pure UEFI mode and received a BIOS warning that it was not supported. Once i flashed the updated BIOS, that error message did not appear.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

After further investigation, this BIOS version (bundled on Gigabyte Rqadeon VII) does not support UEFI mode, you will need to flash the BIOS update we released.

I enabled pure UEFI mode and received a BIOS warning that it was not supported. Once i flashed the updated BIOS, that error message did not appear.
What is the performance difference between a properly configured V64LC and the Radeon VII Matt? :)

Associate

The BIOS update can only really be checked with the dating in the system tab in radeon settings as the build number is the same. (which isn't at all helpful!) Lets hope HWinfo, GPU-z get some updates shortly.

Caporegime
What is the performance difference between a properly configured V64LC and the Radeon VII Matt? :)
Here is a benchmark of Firestrike Ultra with a nice overclock applied to each GPU.

16% difference on graphics score in this bench.

Radeon VII
2000/1200Mhz

SCORE
7 375 with AMD Radeon VII(1x) and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Graphics Score 7 495
Physics Score 27 284
Combined Score 3 331
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33581449

Vega 64 Liquid
1802/1200Mhz

SCORE
6 443 with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid(1x) and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Graphics Score 6 456
Physics Score 27 450
Combined Score 2 980
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33582138

Radeon VII has further overclocking headroom with more voltage and a better cooler. I think it would be great for proper water cooling.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Here is a benchmark of Firestrike Ultra with a nice overclock applied to each GPU.

16% difference on graphics score in this bench.

Radeon VII
2000/1200Mhz

SCORE
7 375 with AMD Radeon VII(1x) and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Graphics Score 7 495
Physics Score 27 284
Combined Score 3 331
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33581449

Vega 64 Liquid
1802/1200Mhz

SCORE
6 443 with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 Liquid(1x) and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
Graphics Score 6 456
Physics Score 27 450
Combined Score 2 980
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33582138

Radeon VII has further overclocking headroom with more voltage and a better cooler. I think it would be great for proper water cooling.
Thanks mate :)

Associate
Decide to pay the extra £49 and went for the Asrock version. Here it is!

DQtp13U.jpg

Cant wait to get it plugged in and see what it can do. Only going for 1 card this time X-fire is only really working on benchmarks, very few actual games, particularly ones that need it!

Exciting Times! :)

Associate
v3e15OD.jpg.png
pu73sNa.jpg.png

First post on the forum woho! :)

I didn't pay a premium for the asus version, they were all the same price where i got it from.

Last edited:
Soldato
v3e15OD.jpg.png
pu73sNa.jpg.png

First post on the forum woho! :)

I didn't pay a premium for the asus version, they were all the same price were i got it from.
Welcome to the secret club
The mass view of this card will forever be tainted by the original reviews. I say secret club because since 19.2.2 driver and probably future updates this card is way better, faster and quieter than people will now ever believe, but I personally like that.

Associate
Welcome to the secret club
The mass view of this card will forever be tainted by the original reviews. I say secret club because since 19.2.2 driver and probably future updates this card is way better, faster and quieter than people will now ever believe, but I personally like that.

Thanks! I actually got the card on Monday, so i've had some time playing around with it already.

Back
Top Bottom