1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Radeon VII Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Kaapstad, Feb 6, 2019.

1. majestynl

Associate

Because you are saying they go away if you turn down the settings; Have you tried to bump up the voltage while you saw those things ?

I saw some weird artifacts with lights and sparkles in heaven benchmark while tuning the card. Those where first signs of instability. After slightly more core or reducing the clocks a bit down they disappeared.

2. Illuminist

Wise Guy

This is different to the sparkles it's a driver related thing on one specific game,. It's all good

3. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Can someone report on the new drivers and if they can overclock on it now,?

or if it removes the black steps @Vince

4. Illuminist

Wise Guy

• Apex Legends™ may intermittently experience line corruption on AMD Radeon VII.
    • Fixed

5. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Let me know how it goes for you

6. nashathedog

Sgarrista

7. Chud_Jenny

Gangster

I used the X64 and it's quoting "BIOS Date 2019/01/19 13:25" now. GPU-Z still doesn't tick the UEFI box though. But I'm currently booted with fast boot and CSM disabled. That dating lines up with the asrock bios on the tech power up database too which has the UEFI support.
    I'm on a Sapphire card.

[​IMG]

8. Axeboy

Mobster

Im torn as to what to do now, the new drivers have improved stability and timespy doesnt cause a complete system crash anymore.

I can return and replace with a 2080 but it may improve over time. Very frustrating. It just annoys me when it crashes mid game now and again although that may not happen as the drivers improve

decisions decisions

9. Chud_Jenny

Gangster

What I would do is run a fire strike ultra stress test. It really warms the card up and will rat out if the card is faulty. Its a constant 4k work load that the card shouldn't have an issue running 24/7 if its not faulty.

10. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Just noticed you are in Cornwall, my home for 20 years I was in penzance and st just, where you at?

11. majestynl

Associate

Ok was just an suggestion ;)

12. Illuminist

Wise Guy

Thank you for helping, the sparkles are definitely a thing with this card!

13. Axeboy

Mobster

Dammit, just tested a few games inc Destiny 2. Crashes after about 20mins, complete crash black screen

I was wanting to keep it but I think Im gonna have to go to the dark side again

14. nashathedog

Sgarrista

Okay, thanks.

15. nashathedog

Sgarrista

I've been doing tests with different settings, The aim is reducing noise levels & improving performance, In the following test which was recorded with Relive I did an 8 run bench of the Metro 2033 Redux benchmark to see how temps and performance were affected, At the end I drag across the Wattman graph showing how it acted for each run, Obviously more testing is required along with full gaming sessions but I was pleased to see no thermal throttling, consistent results across all runs with temps staying under 70c & the Junction temp staying under 100c, The fan speed was limited to go no higher than 50% which being in a case on the floor meant the fan noise wasn't an issue, It was audible but it wasn't obtrusive with the in-game audio having to be lowered so I could hear it properly. I've put the recording here as I'm hoping it's fine seeing as it's not connected to an account that's profited from + it's meant to be informative.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. LtMatt

Caporegime

Nice.

What voltage were you running at for that core clock speed? You forgot to show that during the video.

Also you should use the AMD Performance metrics rather than FRAPS for FPS.

17. nashathedog

Sgarrista

I just deleted the video as I missed that it had the memory running at 800mhz which happens when manually overclocking it (I forgot), A bug, The core was at 1830 I think, I haven't seen any reason to go higher than stock as it has no effect for me, I can run it with the core at 1900mhz but it negativly impacts the core clocks in game. I did 1830 this time to see if any improvement in core clock can be got with smaller increases but it seem not. I'm going to try again with the 19.2.2 driver to see if it still drops the memory clocks when done manually.

18. artur_k

Associate

Manual memory overclock is now applied correctly on 19.2.2.

19. zoffster1

Associate

Has anyone here tried freesync yet?
    I'm using a Freesync 2 monitor (Samsung CHG90) and as soon as freesync is switched on I am subjected to a flicker fest. I've already tried swapping the DP cable for an expensive one to no avail. I've had to resort to switching off freesync.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  20. artur_k

Associate

Freesync 1 working here without any issues on Asus mg278q