Asking other halfs for 'rent'

Soldato
It's not the same as wanting to be live rent free in a landlords property, you're not supposed to be trying to make a profit off your partner. The interest element is only a few percent these days.
You're not supposed to profit off your partner but nor are they supposed to profit off you by living for free if they move in. I'd expect someone to contribute half towards the mortgage and bills. Them getting no equity in my house is no different to them getting no equity from their rent payments if renting privately. And they'd benefit because it would free up money to spend on other things, e.g on them or jointly.

Soldato
Me and the Mrs liquidated our assets and went in together on a new place. We had been together nearly 2 years though and was before prices went SO mental.

Not sure how "at home" anyone can feel in someone else's house

Soldato
Do what I did.

Find a bird with just enough kids so we can't all fit in my house (2 bed). Rent my house out and move into a rented place together, thus leaving me with a home to move back into and my mortgage being paid in the process.

In all seriousness though, that wasn't what I did, I just happen to like someone who already had kids. I know one too many blokes that have been stung by this type of thing, it scares me and deep down, I am so glad we couldn't use my house.

We are now saving to buy our own house together and plan on keeping mine for a future retirement fund, should we last that long.

Man of Honour
Do what I did.

Find a bird with just enough kids so we can't all fit in my house (2 bed). Rent my house out and move into a rented place together, thus leaving me with a home to move back into and my mortgage being paid in the process.

In all seriousness though, that wasn't what I did, I just happen to like someone who already had kids. I know one too many blokes that have been stung by this type of thing, it scares me and deep down, I am so glad we couldn't use my house.

We are now saving to buy our own house together and plan on keeping mine for a future retirement fund, should we last that long.
Don't put anything in writing or text that you plan for it to be a retirement fund for the pair of you. A friend just split from his girlfriend (they have kids together) and have a very similar scenario to yourselves; he has a BTL flat from before the relationship and they then bought a house together to live in. When they split up she went after his BTL flat as well as the house. They are currently fighting it but his solicitor says she shouldn't get it becasue he kept it completely separate from the relationship. But I would guess (and I am not a lawyer etc) that if there had been some kind of expectation that she would have it as a pension then he may have been on shaky ground.

Soldato
Don't put anything in writing or text that you plan for it to be a retirement fund for the pair of you. A friend just split from his girlfriend (they have kids together) and have a very similar scenario to yourselves; he has a BTL flat from before the relationship and they then bought a house together to live in. When they split up she went after his BTL flat as well as the house. They are currently fighting it but his solicitor says she shouldn't get it becasue he kept it completely separate from the relationship. But I would guess (and I am not a lawyer etc) that if there had been some kind of expectation that she would have it as a pension then he may have been on shaky ground.

Noted and thank you. I don't recall mentioning it over text or in writing, but will be extra cautious now.

Caporegime
You're not supposed to profit off your partner but nor are they supposed to profit off you by living for free if they move in. I'd expect someone to contribute half towards the mortgage and bills. Them getting no equity in my house is no different to them getting no equity from their rent payments if renting privately. And they'd benefit because it would free up money to spend on other things, e.g on them or jointly.

There is a slight difference in the relationship between a landlord and their tenants and a boyfriend and girlfriend! One is a business relationship the other is romantic, completely different set of expectations.

Soldato
oh for God's sake just let her move in and see how it goes, don't charge her anything or she'll think you're a knob.

Start as you mean to go on :)

If you start off by not charging, it'll be harder to bring it up in the future

I would suggest raising it again in a few weeks, and just casually ask what her expectations are around bills etc - did she just want to cover bills, or did she want to go halves on everything, pay a percentage towards it etc; that way you're not forcing her to commit to anything, but leaving the discussion open

Soldato
There is a slight difference in the relationship between a landlord and their tenants and a boyfriend and girlfriend! One is a business relationship the other is romantic, completely different set of expectations.
Yes they are different relationships but I fail to see how that means one should live for free (or cheap) off the back of the other.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
oh for God's sake just let her move in and see how it goes, don't charge her anything or she'll think you're a knob.
this to be honest

let her do the shopping a few times...thats all thats needed

you would be paying the same for your property and heating regardless, you might use a bit more water and electricity, but it wouldnt be a huge change

if things mature then you will naturally find a balance

SPG

SPG

Soldato
This, jusk ask her to get the majority of the food oh and dont forget you lose the 25% singles council tax deduction so maybe a cash drop for this.

Either way she will better off.

Soldato
When I moved in with my partner I signed an agreement, drafted by solicitors, that any contributions were in the form of rent.

I’d advise you do the same.

EDIT: We’re both in the mortgage now, but it’s a sensible precaution, especially in the early days.

Soldato
So you haven't proposed anything and she hasn't accepted the idea you were only thinking ?

Seems abit vague.

Moving in together after just 1 month is a little soon imo

I met my now wife when she was living in Basingstoke in essentially a wardrobe apartment with her cousin. I had a much nicer place in Waltham St Lawrence and offered the option of her moving in with me after a month. I paid rent until she was on her feet (only a couple of months) and then she offered to chip in, since then, we both pay rent evenly. Unless one of us needs to save or pay something off. Like the last 5 months, I told her to focus on paying off all her student debt, as debt is a killer and should always be paid off ASAP. So I paid all rent and bills whilst she paid that off. Now neither of us have a penny in debt and she's continues with paying rent and bills. We're married and living in San Francisco... We've been together for several years now. When you know, you know. It can happen and can work.

Caporegime
Yes they are different relationships but I fail to see how that means one should live for free (or cheap) off the back of the other.

Because that's what people in a serious relationship do, support one another.

How is it a fair relationship to ask your partner to pay off half your mortgage and then to expect them to have no stake in the property?

This is a bit different to buying a new set of curtains or tv for the house.

Soldato
AFAIK, no requirement for a lodger to have their own bathroom. They do of course need their own bedroom ;)

I wouldn't even contemplate inviting a girl/woman of 4 weeks to live in my property with me, no matter how strong my feeling towards her were.

Wild unfounded generalisation, have you really gotten to know each other yet? You don't owe this person anything. Don't be a doormat :p

Soldato
First, be open with her about things before she moves in. If you chat online/email I would recommend doing it that way - it provides a nice written record if you did ever need it later.
1) If someone is going to move in then I would expect to share the costs of living in the house. I would be very straightforward and offer the option of splitting all the food & bills but excluding mortgage payments, or include splitting everything. In either case I would recommend a joint account that both parties pay into equally to accommodate that if possible.
2) I would get a property valuation and a statement from the bank about the total outstanding debt on your mortgage at the point you move in together. It protects your Capital gain from the point the relationship started.
3) Put a really simple letter together, explain that your family helped you get into the property and you need to make sure their inheritance is kept safe. If she is someone you want a long term relationships with she will understand. Detail which financial option you are carrying out - either just bills or bills and mortgage. If the latter state in the letter that she is entitled to half of any capital gain of the property during the time that she lived with you and liable for any capital loss incurred also.

Just my opinion of it all. My wife and I operate a joint account for everything family, house related etc and then have our separate accounts for pocket money.

Soldato
i moved in with my GF who is buying their house
i didn't hesitate to think i wouldn't be paying 'rent'
we agreed on an amount before i moved in and i've been paying it ever since.
long term i hope to get on the mortgage so we both own it. it's really not a large amount i'm paying so i'm happy with the arrangement

they should really be offering rather than expecting a free ride. if you don't want anything thats ok too.
just make sure they are paying half all the others bills

Back
Top Bottom