Asking other halfs for 'rent'

Man of Honour
oh for God's sake just let her move in and see how it goes, don't charge her anything or she'll think you're a knob.

Do not do this trust me. I have made that mistake and it's not worth thinking about. Get it all out up front and talk about it, if she is a keeper she will also be offering up solutions and be willing to contribute. I have seen both sides, my now wife always wanted to pay her way. One of my ex's though, she was the type who would never offer anything up and if you said move in for free she would have and I was blind to it but she fleeced me out of quite a bit of money in the end. I was still paying for her months after she left my life.

Man of Honour
Where you forced by a court to pay?

No, I did stupid things like opened credit accounts for her in my name, things like mobile phones, a credit card she could use if desperate, that kind of stuff. So yea, more fool me really. Turned out she wasn't really the sort of girl you should do this sort of stuff for. Love is blind I guess so I chalked that one up to experience and moved on.

Associate
Keep it simple. Ask her to share responsibilities, ie pay for for food, broadband, sky etc.

If she doesn't pay anything she will always feel like a guest. If she just pays you a set amount then she feels like a lodger.

Me and the wife still have clearly defined financial roles. My money covers all bills etc. She pays for holidays, meals, savings etc. A girl worth her salt will want to feel like she's contributing without feeling likes she's just paying off your mortgage.

Soldato
Keep it simple. Ask her to share responsibilities, ie pay for for food, broadband, sky etc.

If she doesn't pay anything she will always feel like a guest. If she just pays you a set amount then she feels like a lodger.

Me and the wife still have clearly defined financial roles. My money covers all bills etc. She pays for holidays, meals, savings etc. A girl worth her salt will want to feel like she's contributing without feeling likes she's just paying off your mortgage.

I got very similar setup but the other way around, she pays mortgage and most of the bills, she buys the food, if we go out for dinner, petrol, add hoc expenses etc, also anything to do with the children - school holidays etc.

I then pay for all the Warhammer miniatures I need.

Soldato
My missus moved in to my place after about 6 months of being together. I'd suggested it after about 3 months but she had to find a job first. It did save us about 45 miles of travelling each way to visit each other though! We just split everything 50/50. We ended up buying a house together a year later as she didn't feel like my place was our place.

Soldato
Seems to me that most of you are missing the point, isn't the OP asking about the legalities of the situation? As in will she have a claim on the property if it all goes wrong. Therefore 'just let her move in and see what happens' type comments are not helping at all...

Maybe it's me that's missing the point!

Back
Top Bottom