Mountain Biking

Soldato
Looking fo a bit of advice on a new hardtail, not much to spend so looking at £500-600, any recommendations? Currentyl looking at the Vitus Nucleus 275 VR or VRS 2019, not convinced the VRS is worth the extra £100 thought. Anything else I should be looking at?
Depending on your preference of colour the VRS has slightly better drivetrain - but at that price point there's not much in it.

Once you've ridden a modern FS bike it's hard to go back to a hardtail :D
I disagree. I love my Bird Aeris FS just as much as my PP Shan HT. My hardtail think's it a FS sometimes!

Soldato
  • Bit of advice please. The bottom bracket on my 2016 Scott Scale 735 has died and I need a new one, original was an Shimano BB-MT500-PA, what's good and likely to last a bit longer than this one that appears to have been made of cheese.
    Anyone able to assist with this one please?

Soldato
Need to get back on two wheels. Haven't had much luck lately (freehub on the Trek ceased, and now I've managed to bend the rear mech (and snap the hanger)). Might try and straighten it out but it's about 2cm out of straight. Also the bike needs a proper service, think I'll just bite the bullet and get a new rear mech, cassette and chain/chainring and do it all.

Also I want to get my backup bike sorted as that's shagged:
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-2-2016-mountain-bike-EV244133
Was thinking of putting another NX drivetrain on as it's been great on the Trek. I'm not sure what hurdles I'd find though. Bottom bracket I'm guessing, any other hurdles?

Soldato
Need to get back on two wheels. Haven't had much luck lately (freehub on the Trek ceased, and now I've managed to bend the rear mech (and snap the hanger)). Might try and straighten it out but it's about 2cm out of straight. Also the bike needs a proper service, think I'll just bite the bullet and get a new rear mech, cassette and chain/chainring and do it all.

Also I want to get my backup bike sorted as that's shagged:
https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-2-2016-mountain-bike-EV244133
Was thinking of putting another NX drivetrain on as it's been great on the Trek. I'm not sure what hurdles I'd find though. Bottom bracket I'm guessing, any other hurdles?

How to make your own alignment tool

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAJ6BAgFEBA&usg=AOvVaw0nolvbPeKQabMgH-XxEd0D

Caporegime
They don't, but as far as I can tell they just screw into the top cap, so if I can replace the top cap with one that is threaded I could add volume spacers.
Couldn't I?

I'd try a Revelation cap. Assuming it's easy enough to replace the cap. If even possible? Does it unscrew the same as the pike etc

Also the internal diamter of the stanchion might be smaller (steel v ally)?

Could try MRP Ramp Control. Or just send an email over to TFTuned.

Soldato
I'd try a Revelation cap. Assuming it's easy enough to replace the cap. If even possible? Does it unscrew the same as the pike etc

Also the internal diamter of the stanchion might be smaller (steel v ally)?

Could try MRP Ramp Control. Or just send an email over to TFTuned.
Thanks for that Ive emailed TFTuned Ill see what they say.

Soldato
After years and years of wanting to get back into mountain biking i've finally bitten the bullet! :D

Picked this up this morning and took it for a quick loop around Alton Water Reservoir and had a blast!

A little unsure of the size, went for an XL on recommendation from the Norco website, but despite being 6'3" I have short legs so doesn't feel super "chuckable!"

Will take it on some more downward facing stuff soon to decide and if I do think i'll be better off on a Large i'll get it swapped I think!

Anyone have any tips for MTB maintenance when living in a flat? Previous bikes were had when living at parents with a garden and all the tools ready to use :(

First thing i'll be doing is getting some new pedals, then going tubeless and then upgrade the brakes I think as they're a bit pants at stopping my enormous mass!

ChEtvNY.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
@Milkybk Nice bike! What i'd give to live somewhere with hills :(

Anyone had any experience with something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable...596283?hash=item1a7685497b:g:f7AAAOSwCA5bWsNG

Thinking that if I can get one of these set up in the van, with a 25Ltr drum of water, I can get the bike washed down before I put it in so it'll be clean and dry by the time I get home :D

I use one of the hand pump pressure sprayers, takes a while but pretty good.

Associate
Need some new chainrings for my Iroko https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-iroko-2-2016-mountain-bike-EV244133, not sure which fit. Anyone able to provide some guidance?
like-for-like ratio or looking to move onto something else? also, both chain rings or just outer/inner?

Shimano says PCD 104mm/64mm:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/FC-M627.html?_sm_byp=iVVvvMp5s5s7LjkH

also, go to youtube and try to take the existing one off first, if they are ceased, may be cheaper to just get the full chainset.

After years and years of wanting to get back into mountain biking i've finally bitten the bullet! :D

Picked this up this morning and took it for a quick loop around Alton Water Reservoir and had a blast!

A little unsure of the size, went for an XL on recommendation from the Norco website, but despite being 6'3" I have short legs so doesn't feel super "chuckable!"

Will take it on some more downward facing stuff soon to decide and if I do think i'll be better off on a Large i'll get it swapped I think!

Anyone have any tips for MTB maintenance when living in a flat? Previous bikes were had when living at parents with a garden and all the tools ready to use :(

First thing i'll be doing is getting some new pedals, then going tubeless and then upgrade the brakes I think as they're a bit pants at stopping my enormous mass!

most flats will have some kind of water tap for commual garden/car wash. any idea if you can use those? if not then may be one of those amazon hand pump as suggested above.

nice bike by the way

Soldato
like-for-like ratio or looking to move onto something else? also, both chain rings or just outer/inner?

Shimano says PCD 104mm/64mm:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/shimano/FC-M627.html?_sm_byp=iVVvvMp5s5s7LjkH

also, go to youtube and try to take the existing one off first, if they are ceased, may be cheaper to just get the full chainset.

The cranks have been off before when I replaced the originals with Race Face ones so should come off ok. I want to go like for like, I've found the 22t on Wiggle but can't find a 36t, looking on CRC there seem to be loads of options for 36t/104, most seem single or triple, but does that matter?

bike-components.de seem to have a good range of stuff with compatibility notes.

Back
Top Bottom