Mountain Biking

Soldato
I've got the 2018 Roscoe 8 27.5 and it's been great fun. Gearing is spot on for me. I've done about 2k miles and only thing to break is the freehub. Rear is a 141 QR on mine so it's really limited in terms of upgrades.

I've bought mine now so looking forward to getting out on the weekend. :D The rear hub is a bit of a PITA but it does look like there are some upgrade options in the future.

Soldato
went to cannock chase again yesterday and noticed my wheels skipping sideways quite a lot.
Is this because of rubbish tyres/wrong pressure or the terrain at Cannock being heavily "infested" with stones/pebbles ?

tyres are Tough Tom's

Soldato
went to cannock chase again yesterday and noticed my wheels skipping sideways quite a lot.
Is this because of rubbish tyres/wrong pressure or the terrain at Cannock being heavily "infested" with stones/pebbles ?

tyres are Tough Tom's

Did they come on the bike when you bought it ? They use a cheaper version of the tyre for retail bikes.

Caporegime
My set of XX27 Wheels came yesterday from Superstar. £100 for a pair of 27.5" strong wheels. bargain!

I had (have) a set. Front wheel went 'missing'. Bloody good wheels for the price. Snapped a few spokes on the rear, but probably because I'm running it on the hardtail and most of the trails are rocky.

tyres are Tough Tom's

Possibly your riding style? Enough weight over the back, too much etc.

Soldato
Seems ages since I was in here.

Still have my Nomad 2. Was looking at bikes and parts today and realised I can't actually buy a set of wheels for mine anymore.

My riding has changed a fair bit, gone are the mountains. Now it's more local trails, more pedaling less downhill type stuff.

Soldato
I've seen a few Evans Ride It events, but are there other companies doing MTB "sportives"? As a total n00b I'd quite like turning up to something with a defined route and pootle round, I just don't know where to look.

Soldato
Dudes, I've just dragged my old 2010 Cube Acid out of storage, it's been sat gathering dust since October 2018. I've fitted new pads front and rear, put a new SRAM chain on it and cleaned it up. All working fine and I intend using it for a commute to a new place of work which will be about a 34 mile round trip mainly along canal paths.

Question - the rear tyre is flat (Schwalbe Smart Sam's) and I clearly need a new inner tube so daft question time - what size do I get? Sorry, it's been a while since I've been in the saddle.

Soldato
Dudes, I've just dragged my old 2010 Cube Acid out of storage, it's been sat gathering dust since October 2018. I've fitted new pads front and rear, put a new SRAM chain on it and cleaned it up. All working fine and I intend using it for a commute to a new place of work which will be about a 34 mile round trip mainly along canal paths.

Question - the rear tyre is flat (Schwalbe Smart Sam's) and I clearly need a new inner tube so daft question time - what size do I get? Sorry, it's been a while since I've been in the saddle.

Does the side of your rear tyre say 26" or 27.5" or 29"? Those are the MTB wheel diameters - you need to get that right. The width of the tube won't make too much difference if you get a 1.9-2.2 number

Soldato
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

Can anyone recommend a cheap Cree LED light for commuting? I won't be on the roads, my route is entirely on a canal path. There are loads of types of Chinese ones on the rainforest place and from what I've seen on Youtube, these things aren't as dodgy as they were years ago if you buy the right one. Trying to narrow it down a bit. A couple of years ago before I moved posts in my job I commuted on a roadie and used two Ultrafire Cree torches up front which were decent but the light spread wasn't great. Also, are the USB chargeable lights worth looking at or are they less powerful than the ones with external battery packs?

Soldato
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.

Can anyone recommend a cheap Cree LED light for commuting? I won't be on the roads, my route is entirely on a canal path. There are loads of types of Chinese ones on the rainforest place and from what I've seen on Youtube, these things aren't as dodgy as they were years ago if you buy the right one. Trying to narrow it down a bit. A couple of years ago before I moved posts in my job I commuted on a roadie and used two Ultrafire Cree torches up front which were decent but the light spread wasn't great. Also, are the USB chargeable lights worth looking at or are they less powerful than the ones with external battery packs?

I ended up getting a cateye volt 500 set, USB chargeable, I like it a lot better than the solar storm x2 cree I had before.
Just as bright as my old Chinese solar storm that I can tell despite the Chinese one allegedly being much higher lumens. and plenty bright enough for pitch black tow paths.
Perfer the lack of a external battery too.
Also the Halfords 'bikehut' lights seem well regarded.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs...goryId=334807&productId=1462331&storeId=10001

Soldato
So ordered one of these T6 1200 lumens USB rechargeable units. £18 and free del from the rainforest place. Seems decent enough, tried it in the back garden tonight in pitch black and it seems decent enough. Appears to have a sort of dual lens set up whereone of the Cree's is a flood and the other one is a spot to the centre. Proof will be in the pudding next week on my commute though, especially on the 640m tunnel section of the Union canal, Falkirk. :) What I like about this is similar to you mattyfez - no need for external battery packs or cables. Compact and on the bars with no extra bits. You can also use a long USB lead to plug it directly into a powerbank if desired.

This came with a free rear LED light which seems plenty bright enough but is a bit flimsy so I don't expect to use it, I'll stick with my Smart rear LED I think. The light also comes with a bar mount which allows it to be detached quickly from the mount itself, again handy for parking in the bike park stands at work.

After I've been out for a dry run on Sunday through that dark, damp Union canal tunnel, I'll post back with my thoughts.

1200-lumens.jpg

Back
Top Bottom