*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
You're probably cutting depth because your brain is worried you won't get out the hole. Can you do the weight fine for a single or a triple?

There might also be other problems: your form might be breaking down as the weight goes up, meaning that you're caving forwards - this generally encourages most people to fold at the hips and stick their bums out, so...

I think it is probably worry re failure. Haven't outright failed a rep yet on squat and may be I need to. It was I think good recently to fail on bench and have the spotters do their job.

Man of Honour
What are people's thoughts on the best approach for combining strength and hypertrophy training into one workout plan? I'm doing a six day PPL split that involves starting each workout with a compound lift (bench and OHP on push day, deadlift on pull day and squat on leg day), then moving onto more hypertrophy-focused work, but I'm finding that I'm taking a lot out of myself with the initial compound lift and although I've seen some decent strength and size gains I'm wondering whether it would be better to split my workouts so that one focuses solely on strength and the other on hypertrophy. For example, my first push workout of the week would be low rep, high weight for every exercise (5x3-5), then the second push workout of the week would focus on higher reps at a lower weight (something like 3x10-15).

Has anyone tried both of the above approaches and found one works better than the other?

The stimuli are different and will also depend on your training history: if you go in hard for one, you will see faster progress than if your trying for both (in very general terms)... howevevr, the biggest bodybuilders are also very strong, and the strongest power/weightlifters are also pretty big. ;)

For strength training, you're trying to get your nervous system to increase its central drive, and then cope with those monstrous impulses as they are carried to and then hit your muscles - low reps at relatively high intensity (80% and above). Hypertrophy is a different kettle of fish as the objective is to create as much oxidative and mechanical damage as possible (so relatively low intensity - around 50-70% depending) and an absolute shedload of reps without proper rest periods (60 seconds tops).

I also don't know your training regime, so it's difficult to tell...

Practically - for most lifters - we overthink things and then over-reach: the simple fact of your "taking a lot out of yourself" problem is that your confusing your training stimuli:

1) You are going too heavy with your hypertrophy rep ranges and doing too much intense volume
2) You are going too heavy with your compound lifts and doing too much intense volume...

See a pattern? :)

If you want to get huge and strong, you can either:

a) Periodise your training (3 strength weeks followed by 1 or 2 of hypertrophy)
b) Reduce the number of strength reps, or the weights being moved for the hypertophy (but keeping the reps high).

I have a similar (ish) regime (when I'm training... which isn't at the moment), where I have a heavy compound for a few reps (around 15 total), followed by genuinely unpleasant high-rep/low rest hypertrophy work. I'm not as strong as I once was, but it keeps me entertained (bear in mind I used to train betwee 5-7 times a week - sometimes twice a day).

Soldato
Thanks for the detailed response @mrthingyx. I think I'll take yours and @GiraffePencils suggestion and periodise my training a bit so that I'm separating strength and hypertrophy weeks. I think I probably am going too heavy with my hypertrophy training, so I'll dial things back a bit and work from there.

Soldato
TL;DR – New found ambition to get bigger/toned/lose stomach fat. Can you check my routine? 4 day minimum.

Background
So here goes….i am 30, waist 30” and 5”8. So a slim frame with no definition and a ‘beer belly’. I had a PT for 4 weeks a year or so ago and he taught me a lot plus provided me with a routine designed for 4 days plus focus on my weak muscles. Motivation went as the gym was too far/made excuses/went out already. Now the gym is a 1min walk away and i have a feel found desire to actually DO something about this.

I have made it to the gym 3-4 times a week for 4 weeks and already seen small changes in my body. I know diet is a huge factor so I am having a breakfast shake (proteinworks) daily plus ensuring I get at least 150g protein a day. Junk food/chocolate/crisps etc has all gone.

Weakest areas: Triceps, shoulders
Strong: Legs

Routine
I checked the Bodybuilding post for ideas but some of the routines I can’t even do with no weights…so thinking I need to go way back. Eg skullcrusher no chance…
So I do this either consec days and a day rest of gap inbetween so want to get through the below twice in a week

Back, chest, biceps (Day 1 and 3)

Incline dumbbell press 10kg 3x10
One arm dumbbell row 14kg 3x10
Bicep hammer curls 6kg 3x10 (New addition)
Preacher bench 1.25kg 3x10 (New addition)
Bicep curls 6kg 3x10
Lat pull down 35kg 3x10
Ab cruncher machine 25kg 4x10

Legs,shoulders,triceps (Day 2 and 4)

Squats 20kg (30kg on Smith) 3x10
Shoulder press on bench 6kg 3x10
Tricep rope pulldown 7.5kg 3x10
Lunges 8kg 3x10 or Leg press 80kg 3x10
Front shoulder raise 4kg 3x10
Lat shoulder raise 4kg 3x10
Ab cruncher machine 25kg 4x10

Thankyou in advance...also scared of the replies but lets see!

Do any of these really fit into half an hour? As everyone else has said, if you're looking for meaningful progress then the general wisdom is do compound lifts. The stuff you're doing is probably good accessory lifts for compound lifts. Targeting body parts is generally (I think) what people do when they're already established.

If you say each of those exercises takes 1.5 minutes including resting, that's about 35 minutes. For Stronglifts, you're doing 3 x 5x5, so you could fit that into about 25 minutes if you're very focused.

Consigliere
Do any of these really fit into half an hour? As everyone else has said, if you're looking for meaningful progress then the general wisdom is do compound lifts. The stuff you're doing is probably good accessory lifts for compound lifts. Targeting body parts is generally (I think) what people do when they're already established.

If you say each of those exercises takes 1.5 minutes including resting, that's about 35 minutes. For Stronglifts, you're doing 3 x 5x5, so you could fit that into about 25 minutes if you're very focused.

I may well take a look at Stronglifts in a few weeks then...for now i am just trying to get confidence up and actually lift something more than a few kgs. :o

Unsure about the 30mins bit? Above takes 45mins-1hour...were you looking at my age? :p There was someone else who said they did something in 30mins i think though.

Soldato
I may well take a look at Stronglifts in a few weeks then...for now i am just trying to get confidence up and actually lift something more than a few kgs. :o

Unsure about the 30mins bit? Above takes 45mins-1hour...were you looking at my age? :p There was someone else who said they did something in 30mins i think though.

Sorry, I definitely quoted the wrong post!! My comments about the 30 mins were for @nicktay2605.

So bad news for me - went to the gym this morning. Squatted excellently...95kg was like 70kg felt a few weeks ago. Got up to 105kg quite happily.

I then went to deadlift, did my warm up sets OK...put 85kg on the bar and as soon as I started, I pulled something in my lower back. So right now I'm basically crippled.

Can someone clear up for me the stages you go through when you deadlift...I can get into position fine but it's the lift but I think I'm doing wrong. Do you straighten out your legs first? Is that what lifts the bar off the ground? I think I've been pulling with my upper body only and incidentally using my legs.

Soldato
@dirtychinchilla I'd guess either your setup is wrong or you're initiating the lift wrong, or possibly a combo of the two. The best setup cue for the deadlift is to feel like you push your bum back until you feel some strain in your hamstrings and then bend your knees a bit until you can get to the bar. Too many people squat down to get to the bar, which will normally result in your hips shooting up early and your lower back will be responsible for the most strenuous part of the lift. Also, when starting the lift you want to feel like you're pushing your hips forward. Think of the deadlift more as a backwards and forwards motion with the hips rather than an up and down motion, if you see what I mean. There's a really good video on Youtube on the most common deadlift mistakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-iSaXPr5s&t=348s

He's also got videos on proper deadlift technique for both the conventional and sumo lift, well worth a watch imo.

p.s. it definitely wasn't me who mentioned only having 30 minutes to work out :p

Soldato
@dirtychinchilla I'd guess either your setup is wrong or you're initiating the lift wrong, or possibly a combo of the two. The best setup cue for the deadlift is to feel like you push your bum back until you feel some strain in your hamstrings and then bend your knees a bit until you can get to the bar. Too many people squat down to get to the bar, which will normally result in your hips shooting up early and your lower back will be responsible for the most strenuous part of the lift. Also, when starting the lift you want to feel like you're pushing your hips forward. Think of the deadlift more as a backwards and forwards motion with the hips rather than an up and down motion, if you see what I mean. There's a really good video on Youtube on the most common deadlift mistakes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-iSaXPr5s&t=348s

He's also got videos on proper deadlift technique for both the conventional and sumo lift, well worth a watch imo.

p.s. it definitely wasn't me who mentioned only having 30 minutes to work out :p

God I'm so confused about the half hour workout! Too lazy to work out who it was, so apologies.

Thanks for the advice. I've put a lot of effort into getting the setup right at least, as you say I wait until my hamstrings bite basically. I think It's the next bit that's going wrong. I'll watch the video anyway.

But, there won't be any deadlifting for me until I've recovered from this damn pain!

Soldato
God I'm so confused about the half hour workout! Too lazy to work out who it was, so apologies.
That'd be me! Sorry for my part in any confusion.

I'm going to start Stronglifts tomorrow.

Can anyone advise - Is there any harm in doing some fairly taxing cardio on the Stronglifts off-days? (most likely 3 workouts - 5k row, 5k run, and something like circuit training)

Man of Honour
That'd be me! Sorry for my part in any confusion.

I'm going to start Stronglifts tomorrow.

Can anyone advise - Is there any harm in doing some fairly taxing cardio on the Stronglifts off-days? (most likely 3 workouts - 5k row, 5k run, and something like circuit training)

Not really, unless it impacts your session: just make sure you're recovering enough.

Man of Honour
Mehdi (the stronglifts guy) recommends against it mostly to keep legs fresh for squats. I can't see any issue early on but you may need the rest later.

Soldato
A month (of 2) into my deficit so I took a progress pic. I can see a difference but things aren't happening as quickly as I hoped they would. I suppose that's always the way.

I've been really strict with my 1800-1900 kcal per day, the only time I've gone over is if I've hypo'd and needed sugar to bring my levels back up. The absolute max I'll have had in any one day is around 1950kcal I'd say but I normally have less calories on the weekend to make up for it.

Soldato
Sorry to keep bombarding you with videos but as my back is feeling okay I decided to do some squats. I was hoping you guys could have a look and tell me if I'm doing anything that could hurt my back (this was my last set at 90kg). I notice when I'm getting to the bottom my weight seems to be coming off my heels? This seems to be a problem all round for me, haha. Maybe it's a flexibility thing?

Soldato
My break did me a lot of good, but still seem to be having trouble with my hips again. Lot of soreness at the front of the hip, so what am I doing wrong?

Soldato
Sorry to keep bombarding you with videos but as my back is feeling okay I decided to do some squats. I was hoping you guys could have a look and tell me if I'm doing anything that could hurt my back (this was my last set at 90kg). I notice when I'm getting to the bottom my weight seems to be coming off my heels? This seems to be a problem all round for me, haha. Maybe it's a flexibility thing?

You dont seem to be staying very tight in the squat, focus on your bracing.

and ditch those shoes either get something with a firmer sole or try barefoot its not going to help wobbling around on a soft shoe, work on your ankle mobility to stop your heels coming up :)

and please turn around, walking the squat backwards into the rack is asking for trouble!

Back
Top Bottom