*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Same here mate - I have always had a dodgy right shoulder and barbell bench press keeps aggravating it.... maybe I should try a different chest exercise...….?
This year im gonna take gains slower (im 46 now and its getting harder!) and make sure my form is great and utilising muscles correctly e.g. bench press feeling the press with my chest and not my arms....

Soldato
OP
Great place to start year from - who the heck was groaning in background - u train in a brothel? haha
just wondering LiE what is your height for that bw?

Soldato
OP
Elbow pain solutions? 2 week rest, pain goes. 1 week back, pain returns. Shoulder work and deadlifts seem to irritate it most. CGBP finishes it off (no flaring).

Ive got golfers elbow at the moment - had 2 weeks off initially and I could feel it coming back - took another 2 weeks off and its not completely gone...……. not sure if I should keep waiting or start again on Monday...…. its crap!

Soldato
OP
I have been resting my injured elbow for 2.5 months - I dont feel it normally but it hurts slightly when I twist my hand in a certain way and bend my wrist in a certain way...… (its been like this for the last 2 weeks and doestnt seem to be easing)
Do you think it would be safe to start training again?

Also been really careful with my diet as I wasn't training and Ive dropped from 90kg on 1st Feb to 82.8 today....

Soldato
OP
Nope not this time. It’s same injury as before, but my right elbow this time. It’s golfers elbow -the inside.

It’s slmost gone but has felt like this now for a while. It’s hard to make it hurt, only on a specific position. Whereas when I first did it, lots of things made it painful.

I have been tempted to start again for weeks but refrain as this slight niggle and don’t want to go back to square one.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd post my set up at home in the garage.
Jus need to increase the light thinking about getting led tube lighting & some motivational posters

Not long finished painting all the bricks and breeze blocks white.

Looks good bettz - that looks like the Powerhouse Cage?

I was just wondering what the width of your garage is as I want to do something similar and worried that my bench wont get out of rack very easy?

Soldato
OP
Ive had 6 months off - with injury. I have started right back to the start and just will take it easy.
Went from:-
137.5kg deadlift -> 60kg
100kg squat - 30kg
80kg bench - 30kg
73.5kg row - 30kg
45kg ohp - 20kg

I'm finding weight easy but doing 5 x 8 and concentrate on mind/muscle co-ordination.

Its quite annoying but I rather take it easy instead of going too fast and damaging again.

Soldato
OP
I probably could up the weights a bit...… but maybe a reset and build up again might work and with Stronglifts the weights go up real quick anyway...

Soldato
OP
Right, what else can I do for this golfer's elbow thing apart from rest it? Seriously affecting my pull exercises now, after recent 3 week rest came back straight away at the gym.

Rest it - I kept on doing small rests and then thinking it was gone for it to keep coming back...….. rest a lot longer than you think and hopefully will be fine (was out for 3 months)

Soldato
OP
Neo its up to you I was in the same situation and kept on thinking it was fine and taking it easy back and it kept on coming back - its so annoying...

After my long rest I have now been training again for 3 months and all is fine so far...… making sure form is 100% - im not whacking weight on as quick this time as I dont want to injure - if I struggle I keep at same weight and just increase the amount of reps until that feels fine and move up again...…. e.g. Squats 100kg I dropped down to 30kg (now up to 60kg) / Bench dropped from 80kg to 30kg (now 55kg) / Deads dropped from 135kg to 60kg (now 90kg)

Soldato
OP
Yeah it is really frustrating...…. I know how you feel...….

Certain lifts do affect the elbow more than others (especially pull ups (ive cut them out completely as I think its easy to cause the elbow injury with form!) / curls ( I do hammer curls if I have to do curls now)

If you want you can try doing other exercises and see if that doesnt aggravate it

Back
Top Bottom