your favorite cult movie..

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Well if it's literal cults then the pickings are far slimmer, i can only think of The Wicker Man ( 70's version not the bloody awful Nicolas Cage remake ), Rosemary's Baby, The Stand, & Silent Hill, that's all i can come up with, & out of those The Wicker Man stands head & shoulders above the rest.

Associate
Some of mine are:
The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The 8th Dimension
Lost Highway
The Fountain
Being John Malkovich
Fritz Lang's Metropolis
Big Trouble In Little China
Slither
The Crow
Phantasm

Man of Honour
I don’t think it’s even popular enough to qualify as a cult film, but the film that I will shout about from the rooftops to my death is the utterly absurd Leslie Nielsen comedy Wrongfully Accused. It is so, so, so stupid (in the same way that Airplane is) that even the thought of making the film is enough to make me smile.

The scene with the train is probably in my top scenes in any films ever, serious or otherwise. Just when you think it can’t get any more stupid it doubles down. It you can’t be bothered to watch the whole thing the bit starts from 3:00 in.

In relation to the above clip (which I suggest you don’t spoil):

When the train peaks round the corner... oh god lord... that is funny :D

Last edited:
Associate
Lost Boys is one of my favourite films full stop, let alone cult film.

Time bandits
Quadrophenia
Hard boiled
Full metal jacket
Ichi the killer
Napoleon Dynamite

Last lesser known film I watched that really got under my skin was The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

Soldato
Withnail and I.

Reading through the thread many of the films listed aren't even close to cult films. Metropolis (cinema classic), Mad Max 2 (franchise movie, and not even the first in a franchise at that), The Thing (again I favourite of mine).

Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Jaws, Ghostbusters, The Terminator - all great films, but none of them are cult films. I love Fight Club, but it's not a cult film it's like saying Ther Matrix is a cult film, or calling GOT or Soparanos a 'cult' TV shows.

The Big Lebowski is a cult film, but Alien isn't a cult film, both are all-time faves of mine. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a cult film, Repo Man is a cult film, Brazil is a cult film, Time Bandits is a cult film, Napoleon Dynamite is also. Boondock Saints? YES!

Last edited:
Permabanned
What's a cult film?
Pffft, elitist alternative sub culture snowflaking or what!

Betchya gone with the wind and the Wizard of Oz are two of the biggest films of all times with a past audience, a current audience and no doubt a future audience... Cult?

Associate
Not sure what constitutes a film to be cult, but this film would be my idea of it...

Wild tales
Argentinian , 6 different stories, totally captivating, one of the best films I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom