Soldato
If you’re going to Bond Street then there are plenty of boutiques where you can buy a good belt that won’t age in terms of styling.

Believe me, heavy branding puts you in the trying to make it category or this is the only designer item I have and I need everyone to know. Actually the more you spend the subtle the branding becomes, only those who have such items know who else is in the club because there is always a subtle styling that makes it obvious to those who know.

There are 3 types of shoppers around Bond St; loud and proud, quiet and minted, dreamers

Man of Honour
My last belt cost me £8 from ASDA. £270 on a belt is just stupid.

The one that I’m wearing today cost me circa $15 in WalMart, Cortez Blvd. Spring Hill FL., Asda’s parent company in the U.S.
All I look for is a reversible leather belt, with an unobtrusive buckle.

Soldato
I reckon these high fashion designers are taking the piddle. They know that they can throw out any old tat and people will buy it for the label. I bet they absolutely wet themselves at people buying some of the trashy ostentatious crap they throw out there with an x000% mark-up.

Caporegime
I reckon these high fashion designers are taking the piddle. They know that they can throw out any old tat and people will buy it for the label. I bet they absolutely wet themselves at people buying some of the trashy ostentatious crap they throw out there with an x000% mark-up.

Yep, like these:

ZCOgUQC.jpg.png

£645 to look like a complete ****

Soldato
I think some people are missing the point of a Gucci belt. It's about taking a nice relaxing train to london then heading to Gucci store on bond street/sloane street and knowing that you doing this because you've made a real professional achievment. Yes £240-£300 is a lot for a belt (and I'm actualy considering buying two) but it's well justified. For most people it wouldn't make much sense but for someone who has worked very, very hard and outperformed the 2nd highest by 70-80% it's a well earned treat.

How much did you earn? Can’t be that much if you’re only spending £300??

Underboss
I understand a nice watch as a status or symbol of achievement not sure it works the same as a belt.

It's pretty ostentatious and not to my taste but if it means something to you OP then go for it.

Soldato
I like nice clothes, but there is such thing as diminishing returns over a certain price. You'll notice a difference between a £15 sweater and a £60 sweater, but going from a £60 sweater to a £200 sweater is basically paying for a name. And what you have to think about is, do you care how expensive other peoples clothes are? If not, that's what other people think about your clothes.

Soldato
For most people it wouldn't make much sense but for someone who has worked very, very hard and outperformed the 2nd highest by 70-80% it's a well earned treat.

I guess it makes sense if you and your colleagues have some sort of belt hierarchy competition going on, were the lower earners have to wear pauper belts and the higher earners have to wear expensive ones

Otherwise no, it makes zero sense to buy an expensive belt just because you outperformed others at work

Soldato
No I'm white. I do know these sorts of items are populars with asians and arabs. One of my friends at work who is a very rich, young 'conservative' Indian (his dad is mates with that billionaire who owns the skyscraper in Mumbai) told me to avoid Gucci and go for Salvatore Ferragamo instead. He said looks just as good as gucci and isn't quite as common.

Yes. Go with Salvatore ferragamo. Very classy and not a common brand with loads of fakes.

Soldato
Just to expand. SF is all about quality workmanship. Similar to English made leather shoes but finer materials.

I still wouldn't spend more than 50 on a belt though. Anything with a brand on it make me sad.

Other than my Canada goose rain coat. That is some engineering.

Back
Top Bottom