Do you have a plan?

Associate
What do people think is the ideal bug out bag kit check? This would try to cover a broad range of scenarios.
I'm thinking simple tools, mini crowbar thing, rations, water purification straw, Torch, batteries, bivvy bag, one handed bearded viking axe, small first aid kit, silver coins. Para cord, cable ties and duct tape. Matches and jonnies. Maybe a spare set of clothes so a dry set is in the bag.

Man of Honour
Don't go crazy - too many people have so many things they forget what they actually have in there or even how to use half of it not to mention the weight means you wouldn't make it far in an actual emergency.

A good knife (and a backup multi-tool), source of ignition (ideally something you can use quickly and conveniently though other methods are good to have for backup) and something you can boil water in makes a good start.

A good thing to have packed (and don't forget you can fill the hole in it to save space) is a toilet roll.

A torch is a good idea - ideally one that can use both 18650 and AA or AAA batteries.

Small first aid kit is always useful.

After that you probably want to pack a custom survival tin which should hold your backup knife/multi-tool, backup fire starting kit plus some para cord, cutting and snaring wires, candle of some sort, water purification tablets and a compass being the basics then anything else you fancy but if you actually need it then stuff has really hit the fan and most of it will probably not be much use in reality unless you have experience in the field.

In an actual emergency situation if temperatures are at all cool to cold you will probably be in a race between exposure and dehydration as to which will get you first - most people are used to sleeping in a warm house at night so having some ability to shelter/warm jumper and waterproof jacket is important.

EDIT: I'm a bit sceptical of a lot of the advice - having a radio to be able to listen for emergency broadcasts, etc. and so on is all well and good but generally people are either adjusted to surviving in which case can manage without a lot of gear aslong as they have the basics or not well adjusted to surviving in which case all the gear in the world might be of marginal use.

Associate
I suppose it depends what time of year it is wherever you aware for more clothing. Good call on the reserve tin of spares if you lose your rucksack or it gets stolen. I also forgot to add silver coins for trading.

Associate
I thought I would give this thread a resurgence with the current ongoing affair of Mr Putin's making.

My partner has now asked about being prepared just in case. So has anyone else been thinking of preparing a bug out bag or a rough plan?

Soldato
I thought I would give this thread a resurgence with the current ongoing affair of Mr Putin's making.

My partner has now asked about being prepared just in case. So has anyone else been thinking of preparing a bug out bag or a rough plan?

Putin is sending Zombies? What a ****** :o

Ha, no plan for nukes. Die quickly in the blast or die slowly from the fallout, I'd prefer the former.

Soldato
I did read some info about surviving in the event of a nuke because tv was talking about ww3 constantly, saw some funny advice from the 70s about building an inner shelter in your house, which doesn't really work in a modern new build house made of paper and ikea furniture. Bought a battery radio, long life food, bottled water, etc. Bunch of other stuff I already have from scouting as a kid. If it happened, assuming it's far enough away I have a chance, I could survive in my house for a couple of weeks before I'd have to go roaming for water. If it doesn't happen I'll eat the food and wasted about 20 quid on stuff I may never need.

Battery radio is not a waste imo because I had a long power cut before and ended up having to use the car radio to figure out what was going on, so was considering getting a radio anyway.

Probably worth them making an updated 'what to do in the event of a nuke' guide, the 70s one doesn't cut it anymore. Funny how tech dependent we are, plenty of people wouldn't be able to tell the time if the power went out because they use phones and computers instead of watches and clocks.

I also took out a bit more cash in case my bank had a cyber issue, just so I could get food until it's resolved, which of course doesn't cost anything coz I'll spend it eventually.

Last edited:
Soldato
I couldn't build a shelter in house as we have no blankets or a four legged table

If it does happen we live 15 miles as crow flies from RAF Shawbury and hope the bomb is big enough to take us out instantly.

Back
Top Bottom