Is "PC Gaming" a different thing nowadays?

Permabanned
There are less differences now compared to 10 years ago, nevermind 15.

Higher resolutions
Mods (To a degree, the console mod scene is active)
Online multiplayer
Refresh rates have got higher.

The majority of PC gamers are 60hz, 1080p.

It's a lot closer perhaps but the essential differences remain. PC master race is still that.:p

Associate
Is "PC Gaming" just "Gaming" nowadays?

As a die hard PC enthusiast, that is hard for me to say but things are what they are.

Yes, we still have choice of hardware configurations, screen ratios (for some games), but for the most part, the gaming aspects have parity with the same releases.

Am I wrong?

I agree, you're not wrong. One of the main things missing that gave PC games a massive community and fun feeling were RSP's. I miss that.
Do/did console gamers have clans?

Soldato
yeah then theres the argument of monitor vs tv, a lot of people wont do pc gaming on a tv because of response times and refresh rates... whereas some people prefer using a tv regardless

True but I think some TV's have very good MS now, and only really an issue for people sensitive to it and playing high paced games I think. I prefer the IQ on my TV, PC monitors just arent there IMO. Until we get OLED HDR ones which will be mega $$$

Caporegime
Not a lot of total conversion mods like dod or Counter Strike, Desert Combat etc. Game publishers just figured out it was free content and got their devs to lock the engines down or not release mod tools. Still do get some mods but it's not like it was years back.

Just bored of gaming in general, i have the games from the recent amd bundle downloaded and haven't even bothered to try them out.

Soldato
The gap between PC and Consoles for most of the games I play is small, they have better graphics on PC but the games play is the same. I also use an Xbox one controller most of the time now so the keyboard/mouse thing is no longer an issue. If i did not need a PC I would just have a console as the price of a good gaming PC is just to high.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm starting to think Navi/Zen2/MOBO/RAM will be my last upgrade cycle, I would normally have built a new system with mine being 2012 vintage, in fact it's two years overdue already, in times gone by I built every five years from the ground up.

I think after this upgrade cycle, my PC will be kept alive only to play the kind of 4x Grand Strategy games you can't play on consoles.
More than likely this for me also. Xbox exclusives, flight sim and the odd PC exclusive. Will also buy and replay games I get on a PS5 much later on PC for a 2nd play through if I fancy. Once I get something like a 3070 I will stick with it for a long time. What I might do now and then is get a high end gpu temporarily to keep for a couple of months just to play a couple of exclusives that need the extra grunt, then sell for a similar price and put my 3070 back in.

I think things are still much the same. Just that the higher end PC's are vastly more expensive.

Disagree. Much better displays available on consoles now. They will get VRR in soon with next gen consoles. The specs of consoles are pretty much a PC now also.

Soldato
PC is still way ahead. Consoles offer decent compromise & convenience for the price though. Many gamers with families simply cannot afford or justify £1K++ for a high end GPU nowadays :(

The days of a PC specific release are long gone the dev costs are too high for platform exclusive titles. Lets see what Star Citizen does though ;) but apart from that its highly unlikely anyone else is going to commit such high budgets!

PS5 will only offer a base 4K 60 FPS gaming experience in about 2 years when it releases with dated hardware. PC currently offers the superior 4K gaming experience by some margin.

X1X offers a reasonable 4K lite gaming experience right now for a ridiculous price compared to how much a low end 4K PC cost you can buy an X1X + Game Pass + HDTV & still have some hefty change :eek:

In 2 years time things will change a little as gamers simply will not continue to pay such crazy prices for an increase in resolution & little to no other noticeable changes. Either PC hardware companies modify their R&D approaches & charge less or PC will be just A.N.other device used to connect to cloud gaming which is coming fast in the new Xcloud gaming service from MS & Googles Stadia offering.

Caporegime
PC is still way ahead. Consoles offer decent compromise & convenience for the price though. Many gamers with families simply cannot afford or justify £1K++ for a high end GPU nowadays :(

The days of a PC specific release are long gone the dev costs are too high for platform exclusive titles. Lets see what Star Citizen does though ;) but apart from that its highly unlikely anyone else is going to commit such high budgets!

PS5 will only offer a base 4K 60 FPS gaming experience in about 2 years when it releases with dated hardware. PC currently offers the superior 4K gaming experience by some margin.

X1X offers a reasonable 4K lite gaming experience right now for a ridiculous price compared to how much a low end 4K PC cost you can buy an X1X + Game Pass + HDTV & still have some hefty change :eek:

In 2 years time things will change a little as gamers simply will not continue to pay such crazy prices for an increase in resolution & little to no other noticeable changes. Either PC hardware companies modify their R&D approaches & charge less or PC will be just A.N.other device used to connect to cloud gaming which is coming fast in the new Xcloud gaming service from MS & Googles Stadia offering.
True 4K at 60FPS is all I’ll ever need. If that’s what the PS5 will give me for £400, then gimme gimme gimme.

Another comparison between the two is game availability and pricing. Steams been around for years, But with consoles, the only way you could really get console games was in the shop and at £40-50 a pop. Nowadays, you have the likes of PS store, when you can get new games (albeit at a higher price stupidly), but hundreds of games that are a bit older, and sometimes with really good discounts. Picking up a decent game to play on console is easier and cheaper than its ever been. I think PC and console have definitely blurred the boundary there.

Soldato
True 4K at 60FPS is all I’ll ever need. If that’s what the PS5 will give me for £400, then gimme gimme gimme.

Another comparison between the two is game availability and pricing. Steams been around for years, But with consoles, the only way you could really get console games was in the shop and at £40-50 a pop. Nowadays, you have the likes of PS store, when you can get new games (albeit at a higher price stupidly), but hundreds of games that are a bit older, and sometimes with really good discounts. Picking up a decent game to play on console is easier and cheaper than its ever been. I think PC and console have definitely blurred the boundary there.
Xbox Game Pass is only £7.99 a month you have a load of games (some on PC as well) 2 months trial is £1 a month vs Steam & their excessive 30% cut of most PC game sales is another reason why consoles are dominating!

Associate
95% of my gaming is Starcraft 2, which thankfully will never make it to console as Starcraft64 was bad enough :)
They'll be adding a mobile version I expect. Because we all have phones. :rolleyes:

If that does well I imagine it will find its way to consoles because $$$$.
Even if it does poorly the lure of $$$$ will probably ensure a console version happens. Blizzard isn't the company it was.

Soldato
The delta has closed but its still very much there. PC hardware for one is generally able to be pushed much higher. For that reason I have actually built a HTPC in the living room with a 1080Ti and 8700k, and tend to play certain games on the big screen. Assassins Creed Odyssey in HDR for example looks amazing with settings notched up at 4k, this is even with a more powerful rig in the other room hooked up to a G-Sync, high refresh rate etc monitor. Point being chilling on the couch with these types of games do work very well and the picture IQ, relaxing on the couch (or massive beanbag I have :p) more then makes up for lack of high refresh rate, G-Sync and blah blah blah. Next there are still certain genera's of games that are very much suited still to the PC (and desk), your civilisation, city builders, RTS games etc.

There are some area's in which consoles still hold an advantage. For one, local play on some games with consoles is a blast and tends to have more support. I absolutely have a blast playing some games locally with friends around (4 player zombies is still always fun). Another advantage is most people I know, could not give a flying F about gaming on PC's. They would rather buy a single box solution, plug it in and away they go. As long as they have fun, they do not care for most the part about texture details, medium vs very high graphics etc. I imagine the next generation of consoles which seem more able to do a genuine 4k @ 30hz at least may erode the PC space slightly depending on cost with the way hardware prices are going (though part of that is PC gamers chasing higher settings often)

In all, yeah the space / delta has got smaller, but still there. Given most games come out on all the platforms now these days anyways it further erodes the lines.

Soldato
The parity of hardware between consoles and PCs in recent years has enabled developers to release all genres of games across all platforms to maximise profits. Whilst it makes sense for console manufacturers to have developers release exclusive titles to boost console sales there is no equivalent incentive to develop PC exclusives based on the USPs of PC gaming it doesn't make financial sense. PC gaming is different now because it is the same............

Soldato
Another advantage is most people I know, could not give a flying F about gaming on PC's. They would rather buy a single box solution, plug it in and away they go. As long as they have fun, they do not care for most the part about texture details, medium vs very high graphics etc.

This is a huge reason, I play on PC with an official MS pad with the newest adapter and some games aren't as simple as pick up and play, I had a horrible time with GTA V for example with the pad just flat out not working for some reason, messed around with it for ages and then it just started working suddenly.
Pads aren't fully compatible with other games either.

Xbox, turn it on and flick around the game menus etc fluidly, it shows me battery level on the pad with no hassle.
Its generally a smoother experience IME

Associate
They'll be adding a mobile version I expect. Because we all have phones. :rolleyes:

If that does well I imagine it will find its way to consoles because $$$$.
Even if it does poorly the lure of $$$$ will probably ensure a console version happens. Blizzard isn't the company it was.

Oh I am under no illusions, if Blizzard could shoehorn it onto consoles they would but it just isnt possible. No doubt some sort of Startcraft themed mobile game will appear in much the same vein as they are doing with Diablo for no other reason than a shameless cash in on the franchise which will do little else other than alienate there fan base. Thankfully the joy that is Starcraft 2 itself will remain purely on the PC.

As for the future, well who knows given that Activision look intent on turning it into an EA clone. At least a remaster of Warcraft3 is coming this year, but after that who knows what guff they will churn out to please the overlords.

Soldato
I definitely buy the consoles each generation for some of the games such as The Last of Us, Halo, God of War, Zelda, etc; but if a game came out on any console and on PC then in nearly every case I'd always pick the PC version.

There's just too many extra benefits for me to playing it on a PC such as much higher resolutions; games are generally much cheaper; enhancements like high AA/AF; much higher frame rates as lots of console games still aim at 30 fps as being acceptable; controller scheme options (we can still use Xbox One controllers and have mouse/keyboard); game modifications; dedicated servers for FPS games. There's also strategy games (especially grand strategy) and MMORPGs which I love but would be, or are, horrible to play with a controller.

That's not to say the console doesn't have it's benefits; it's far and away the cheaper option of the two when you consider a mid-range graphics card costs the same as two Xbox One S consoles. They are easy to just turn on and play; you don't have to faff with drivers and tweaks; or have to deal with system issues since every XB1 or PS4 is the same it's easier for developers to make sure games are stable in comparison to the massive range of hardware combinations on PC. Also, not sure what other peoples "real life friends" are like, but every one of my close friends owns a console but only 2 of them have a PC and only 1 of those games on it.

I think both are still living side-by-side quite comfortably. The benefits of both are clear and are still significant enough to offer a nice varied choice if someone was thinking about gaming on either consoles or PC.

Back
Top Bottom