Why can't they just remove the lid and sip like from a cup ?

Soldato
The most important question here. Can you still do the trick with the new ones, where you rip off the end of the straw wrapper, blow through the straw and then the rest of the wrapper flies across the table and ends up in a friends eye?

Challenge accepted. I will report back.

Caporegime
Then use your own metal straw if you're worried of spillage, or wear a bib, absolutely no reason to defend why giving people back their disposable straws is a good idea

Why not?

I’m not going to carry a metal straw around with me.

Worrying about plastic straws in McDonalds is like ordering a Big Mac meal with extra fries and a cheese burger on the side then asking for a “diet” coke.

Soldato
McDonald's is being called on to stop its roll out of paper straws in the UK and Ireland, amid claims that they "dissolve" in drinks.
THANK...GOD

It's been Soooooo annoying having to pretty much boycott McDonalds* since they added these unfit for purpose straws just to jump on the hipster "straws are totally killing the planet" bandwagon >.>

*The food hasn't changed but now all the drinks taste of **** it's better to just go KFC/Subway.

Soldato
I just read that article.. I never really thought about straws until I saw the pic of a turtle with straw up its snozzle...

Made me think even if it was a made up story / one off a straw is unnecessary real men don't need lids or straws!

Not used a straw plastic or paper for ages..

All 35k people who signed the potition should be forced to live for a year with a straw rammed up each nostril then castrated

Why don’t they just refuse to serve turtles at McDonalds?

I had a milkshake the other day and the paper straws at McDonald’s are pretty awful imo , they would be ok if they could change the texture of them a little

Soldato
Soldato
The new straws are pretty horrible, have an odd texture to them and they go soggy. Should just use recyclable plastic ones, sipping with the lid off isn't much use when driving.
The problem with biodegradable plastic ones, is that water impedes biodegrading, and the whole issue that started the whiners off here is plastic straws making their way into the sea (not the production/disposal of the straws as from that perspective paper straws are even worse for the environment).

Soldato
Just buy a travel mug /flask then.. OK they still contain plastic but a good quality one will last decades.

As opposed to throwing loads of plastic away on a daily basis.

The blinkered selfishness of some on here because they perceive a minor inconvenience to thier precious, lazy, greedy lives is quite staggering, but sadly unsurprising.

Caporegime
I think this just shows that most of us couldn't give two craps about the environment.

Convenience is more important.

**** the oceans - we'll be dead before **** gets real anyhow.

Caporegime
So McDonalds have been pressured to get rid of plastic straws to save Polar Bears at the North Pole from getting straws up their nostrils and now people who knowingly eat unhealthy food and drink at their restaurant are complaining about a few paper particles. Eating A4 printing paper is probably healthier than McDonald's.

Soldato
You might spill it.

This might be really silly if you’ve got a hot drink... then again you could always just sue them.
Not sure if that was a dig at the woman that did sue them for just that but if you haven't seen the picture (NSFW/NSFL) it honestly gives a new perspective on why she sued, it's incredibly grim.

Soldato
So McDonalds have been pressured to get rid of plastic straws to save Polar Bears at the North Pole from getting straws up their nostrils and now people who knowingly eat unhealthy food and drink at their restaurant are complaining about a few paper particles. Eating A4 printing paper is probably healthier than McDonald's.

It's a step in the right direction... Are you saying we can solve environmental issues simply by shrugging our shoulders?

Also it's not just mcdonald's ... Most big food establishments have switched to paper and card where possible. Get used to it.

Caporegime
Not sure if that was a dig at the woman that did sue them for just that but if you haven't seen the picture (NSFW/NSFL) it honestly gives a new perspective on why she sued, it's incredibly grim.

IMHO it doesn't make a difference, yes hot drinks can cause injuries if you're clumsy with them, it doesn't make it McDonald's fault... an adult ordering a hot drink ought to be aware that a hot drink is indeed hot and that they should be careful with it.

The argument is that they shouldn't make them so hot and should make them at some warm temperature which is fine for coffee but perhaps not so fine for tea and rather less useful for people ordering a takeaway to actually take it away rather than parking up and then opening up the cup with it squashed between your legs in the car park. So now there are a bunch of people in the UK who are adamant that it is all fine and not an example of some excessive US lawsuit because McDonald's is evil for serving hot drinks hot... while perhaps ignoring that in a nation of tea drinkers there are plenty of establishments in the UK that serve drinks even hotter (and indeed uncovered) and that perhaps some personal responsibility is needed.

I mean if I go to a greasy spoons cafe, order a cup of tea which gets made with boiling water from a kettle and I manage to spill it all down myself should I then be able to bankrupt the cafe owner with a lawsuit that claims damages which far exceed the value of his business or indeed any assets he might have?

Last edited:
Soldato
They even have a warning on the cup 'caution.. Hot' as if anyone would order a cold coffee anyway.

If you choose to sit it between your legs whilst driving to work, and it spills, you've only got yourself to blame.

Soldato
People demanded McD's got rid of plastic straws, now people don't like the alternative. They can't win really.

I dont think anybody ever liked the alternative did they? plastic straws became more popular than paper because they were cheaper and didnt fall apart. Nothing has really changed in that respect - they are still cheaper afaik and paper straws still fall apart.

Associate
If someone can explain to me how the plastic straw i use from McD's that i put in the recycling bin when i finish with it gets half way round the planet and stuck up a Turtles nose..

Then i may think about going paper..

Until then leave me in peace to drink my banana milkshake with a plastic straw.

Soldato
I dont think anybody ever liked the alternative did they? plastic straws became more popular than paper because they were cheaper and didnt fall apart. Nothing has really changed in that respect - they are still cheaper afaik and paper straws still fall apart.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread...
If you are so busy then why would you have a drink long enough for a paper straw to go soggy? It's a complete nonsense...

It's an argument from a totally lazy and self entitled angle.

Back
Top Bottom