NFL 2018 Season

Soldato
I think they'll get a third for him, maybe off Broncos. Never get a second anymore.

So the Dolphins took him for a 2nd and a 5th (2020).

Interesting draft for the Redskins so far. JUst watched some film on Haskins, he looks pretty good, nice deep ball on him and seems to throw well on the move. The deep ball could match well as we then took Haskins apparent favourite receiver too... It appears Sweat was a good pick up to at that point, giving us a pretty formidable D line now.

Soldato

Interesting draft for the Redskins so far. JUst watched some film on Haskins, he looks pretty good, nice deep ball on him and seems to throw well on the move. The deep ball could match well as we then took Haskins apparent favourite receiver too... It appears Sweat was a good pick up to at that point, giving us a pretty formidable D line now.

Great pick up for the Dolphins. I still think Rosen will have a fine career and was given a duff hand with a horrific O line last year so taking a number 1 pick (admittedly he isn't Mayfield or Darnold) for a second and fifth is a great but of business.

I think he'll have a better year than Murray as I don't see the Cards as having adequately addressed their o line issues.

Soldato
we then took Haskins apparent favourite receiver too...

i think that helps the qb no end if it can be done, for me a lot of early problems can be covered if the qb has someone he's familar/has an understanding with.

I think he'll have a better year than Murray as I don't see the Cards as having adequately addressed their o line issues.

the problem i can see for murray is him scrambling cos of the poor oline and getting battered, not sure how much punishment he will be able to take.

that a nice steal for the dolphins, had him on view for a season so not near as much of a gamble as taking him 1st round.

Soldato
Pretty good draft for the Steelers. Bold move to trade up for Devin Bush and stop the bungles getting him in the process :D They also got a great value pick in Justin Layne in the 3rd. Hopefully the WR and RB turn out to be solid as they usually nail that selection.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Pretty good draft for the Steelers. Bold move to trade up for Devin Bush and stop the bungles getting him in the process :D They also got a great value pick in Justin Layne in the 3rd. Hopefully the WR and RB turn out to be solid as they usually nail that selection.
I'm not convinced the Steelers did the right thing. They essentially lost their best WR and RB last season and have an aging QB, so they traded away picks to go get a middle linebacker? You're right though, its likely whoever they got in the later rounds turns into a gem of a WR - they have an incredible knack for picking them.

Soldato
I'm not convinced the Steelers did the right thing. They essentially lost their best WR and RB last season and have an aging QB, so they traded away picks to go get a middle linebacker? You're right though, its likely whoever they got in the later rounds turns into a gem of a WR - they have an incredible knack for picking them.

I think they will be more than fine with Juju as WR1 and Conner as RB1. They have both shown they are more than capable. Also there should be a lot less drama on/off the field with those two gone. As for Ben he just signed a new 3 yr deal so I imagine they will look at the QB situation further down the line. He is still playing at a good level.

Associate
I find it wild the Cards, after burning up so much capital last year to get Rosen, are now hooking him out the building.

If I was them I would trade first pick for a couple of Raiders first rounders, trade out their CB who is agitating (always forget his name) again for a 1st and probably a 2nd or 3rd then rebuild around Rosen.

Take 2 new Lineman from the first round and possibly a TE then use the second rounders for the D. They could go forward with a good young core and make relatively quick progress. Ditching Rosen and going to Murray still leaves them with huge issues across the team and will probably just see Murray get a season of the same treatment Rosen did then written off as well.

What will happen is though is they will take Murray, get rid of Rosen and be lucky if they get a third (which is ****** up) and then be the same shambles they were last year.

I'm in agreement with almost all of this. I take it you're a Cards fan? If so, you need to get used to this. The problem is ownership and not management necessarily. Cards ownership is not willing to build a competitive team. They are willing to make a "splash" here and there but have no interest in building a competitor. It's about putting butts in seats and not about competing.

I'm sure there is a comparison with European sports. Soccer, Rugby, Cricket... etc., but I can't think of one. I can only point to the Texas Rangers Baseball team some 20 years ago when they gave Alex Rodriguez a 10 year $250M contract. It was a 'splash'. Alex was one player among many, and he he was the only 'good' one. Ownership was unwilling to build a team around him.

Murray is a splash, and they will not put anything around him. As a result he will ultimately fail. I'm not saying he'll be a 'bust', just that he will not become a 'star'. He may have a good year or two, but he won't be a franchise player.

He's too small. Say what you will, the NFL is among the most physical, violent leagues in the world. Combine that with the fact that all QBs get hit, and you have a serious problem.

Soldato
@BlueMerle I have the dubious pleasure of being a Bengals fan which is essentially the same as a Cards fan you describe above, tedium and mediocrity. We had a chance 3 or so years ago but then Dalton got injured just before the playoffs and we done our regular first round face plants.

Soldato
I'd like to see how many sacks our new defence (49ers) gets on Murray over the 2 division games. If i'm not mistaken the Cards have the worst offensive line in the NFL?

Soldato
I'm well chuffed with my Titans draft although I was the same for the last decade or so!!

I thought they had one of the poorer drafts apart from the Giants, time will tell though!

I'd like to see how many sacks our new defence (49ers) gets on Murray over the 2 division games. If i'm not mistaken the Cards have the worst offensive line in the NFL?

They made a few signings in FA and got some players back from IR so they will be better, but I still think it will be a poor line though perhaps not as horrific as last year.

Associate
@BlueMerle I have the dubious pleasure of being a Bengals fan which is essentially the same as a Cards fan you describe above, tedium and mediocrity. We had a chance 3 or so years ago but then Dalton got injured just before the playoffs and we done our regular first round face plants.

Well at least you're a fan of a team that's trying. Mistakes and misfortune aside, they're trying. :D

Associate

Given Murray's speed I doubt there will be "a lot" of sacks. The problem comes when decides to run, because his O line sucks, and he gets creamed 3 yards past the LoS.

Soldato
Given Murray's speed I doubt there will be "a lot" of sacks. The problem comes when decides to run, because his O line sucks, and he gets creamed 3 yards past the LoS.

No doubt he's fast but with Dee Ford and nick bosa coming off the edge he will have to be. No stepping up in the pocket either with deforest buckner and Solomon Thomas.

That's before we talk about Fred Warner and kwon Alexander at LB. God our defence is looking epic.

Associate
No doubt he's fast but with Dee Ford and nick bosa coming off the edge he will have to be. No stepping up in the pocket either with deforest buckner and Solomon Thomas.

That's before we talk about Fred Warner and kwon Alexander at LB. God our defence is looking epic.

The three most sacked QB's in the league last year were DeShaun Watson, Dak Prescott and Russell Wilson. All pretty quick and agile QB's...

Gents, I specifically said "I doubt there will be "a lot" of sacks". I never said there would be none.

And with respect to DeShaun, Dak and Russell, how's their O line?

Here's the thing. Kyler will be hurried all season long. He will be sacked, but he will also be flattened past the LoS while he's running for his life. I expect more of the latter.

Soldato
Yes, you said specifically because he was fast you didn't think there would be 'a lot' of sacks. I point out the three most sacked QB's ('a lot' of sacks, not just 'some') are also fast and agile...

Soldato
Gents, I specifically said "I doubt there will be "a lot" of sacks". I never said there would be none.

And with respect to DeShaun, Dak and Russell, how's their O line?

Here's the thing. Kyler will be hurried all season long. He will be sacked, but he will also be flattened past the LoS while he's running for his life. I expect more of the latter.

I wasn't doubting what you said. I'm just excited the 49ers might actually show some dominance this season. Its been a while....

Back
Top Bottom