NFL 2018 Season

Soldato
Anybody else going to next season's London games? I'm going to attend the Bears v Raiders and Bengals v Rams games.

Associate
Gotta say I've been both impressed and amused by this thread, much as I am with NFL threads here in the States. That said, let me ask ya'll this.

Do you think an NFL franchise would survive, long term, in London? Or anywhere in the UK for that matter. Forget the logistics, focus only on the question.

I ask because I know that a London franchise is a wet dream for Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL. (And for those that don't know he is the single most slimy person in the world. He would sell his mother into the white slave trade to make a buck.)

Associate
I would think that a British franchise could survive long term. The interest seems to be there, and considering that if I'm not wrong there is only 8 home games in a season it wouldn't be difficult to sell out those games. There is also a fair amount of Americans in the UK so I think they would be happy to be able to go see some games as well. The problem I would see would be where to get the players as European players are far from being good enough in the NFL.

Associate
I would think that a British franchise could survive long term. The interest seems to be there, and considering that if I'm not wrong there is only 8 home games in a season it wouldn't be difficult to sell out those games. There is also a fair amount of Americans in the UK so I think they would be happy to be able to go see some games as well. The problem I would see would be where to get the players as European players are far from being good enough in the NFL.

Interesting, I have no idea what the interest level is in the UK, hence my question.

I don't think players would be a problem, as an NFL franchise in London would be able to draft from the American pool. And in time Euro players would improve.

Associate
Since I've lived in the UK I think pretty much every NFL game have been sold out, and that has been at least two games a season what I can remember.

Players might not be a problem if completely drafting from the American pool, but can you imagine the possible whinging if there is no British players? ;)
It would take a good few years for European players to get up to the same standard as the Americans. Just look at how few Europeans have managed to get into the NFL even if they have spent years in the US and played for decent colleges etc.

Associate
It would take a good few years for European players to get up to the same standard as the Americans. Just look at how few Europeans have managed to get into the NFL even if they have spent years in the US and played for decent colleges etc.

Ha! I could see some whinging over the lack of British players. But, as to the quote, I really don't think it would take that long for British/Euro players to make their way to the NFL. Especially in the "non-skilled" positions. Lineman specifically. There are plenty of big strong British/Euro men available. The real issue would be training. If you've never spent a minute playing American Football, you're unlikely to make it to the NFL.

Still, it's interesting that you think an NFL franchise would work, long term, in London. The logistics would a cast iron *****, but I suppose it could be done.

Soldato
I'm not sure it would work, but that's just from my view point. When there was one or two games a year, I went to every one. As soon as they got to four games I started picking the 'good games'. I'm a Redskins fan, that couldn't change, so if they send the Jags over, I maybe go to two games a year, against the better opponents. Are there really enough fans that Jags v Bengals or Lions would sell out when there are many other better games as an option?

I also don't really get the point about British players. That's just not how the NFL works. Even if British players make it to the NFL, what are the chances they get drafted by the London team?

Soldato
Gotta say I've been both impressed and amused by this thread, much as I am with NFL threads here in the States. That said, let me ask ya'll this.

Do you think an NFL franchise would survive, long term, in London? Or anywhere in the UK for that matter. Forget the logistics, focus only on the question.

I ask because I know that a London franchise is a wet dream for Roger Goodell, commissioner of the NFL. (And for those that don't know he is the single most slimy person in the world. He would sell his mother into the white slave trade to make a buck.)

I can't see it working as Brits are remarkably tribal in nature when it comes to sports team support.

By this I mean if you put the franchise in London, which it almost certainly would, then most fans would see it as a London team not a UK team and would continue supporting their chosen team (despite how much I hate them I'm a Bengals fan and I wouldn't change despite how easy a get out it would be)

It may well succeed based on people coming to see passing teams but I struggle to see it as a going concern.

On another note, being a Bengals fan I'm sorting out going to the Bengals V Rams game but I have an inkling I will struggle as a lot of neutrals will want to see the Rams. When do tickets go on sale?

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Not long until the draft begins *Grabs Popcorn*

I'm going to go with:
* Redskins trade up big for Haskins, given his connection to the owner and their need at QB
* My team, the Ravens, trade out of the 1st round
* Giants take Lock with their 2nd first-rounder

I'd love to see someone like the Pats go aggressive for Hockenson given their system, but i agree with reports that he'll end up with the Jags at #7 given Coughlins love of mobile TE's like Shockey and Bavarro. Cant wait!

Soldato
I find it wild the Cards, after burning up so much capital last year to get Rosen, are now hooking him out the building.

If I was them I would trade first pick for a couple of Raiders first rounders, trade out their CB who is agitating (always forget his name) again for a 1st and probably a 2nd or 3rd then rebuild around Rosen.

Take 2 new Lineman from the first round and possibly a TE then use the second rounders for the D. They could go forward with a good young core and make relatively quick progress. Ditching Rosen and going to Murray still leaves them with huge issues across the team and will probably just see Murray get a season of the same treatment Rosen did then written off as well.

What will happen is though is they will take Murray, get rid of Rosen and be lucky if they get a third (which is ****** up) and then be the same shambles they were last year.

Soldato
A tackle is never a sexy pick but just what needed as our O Line sucked.

we went without a 1st rounder again after trading with the falcons :(, and only 1 in the 2nd round, can't wait to see what we pick in the later rounds.

got to love the response from the giants fans when their turn came up :D

be interesting to see how much time the new cards coach is given now hes drafted murray, few teams around that could do with a qb so wonder if they might go for rosen, can't imagine he wants to stay there now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, Bronco's or Miami really now, or Philly out of leftfield (Carson Wentz cover). Or Pats or Saints for heir apparents. Rosen maps well to the Pats offensive gameplan.

I called that a while back especially considering Pat's have a fair bit of 2nd and 3rd round capital. Just whether Rosen can stomach 2-4 years as a backup.

Soldato
Bengals trade out of potentially taking Lock to develop for the future and take more junk picks. We have 6 ******* 6th round picks. Hate this blinking organisation.

what confuses me is they took a tight end that was rated for the 4th round ????

got in early to strengthen the secondary with a safety/cornerback.

not sure about the running back, be interesting to see how much time he gets.

managed a tackle and got 4 picks left looking for them to get some in for the o and d line, then hope matthews/fowler don't junk out on us.

hope they have someone in mind, in the mould of kupp, as he's the only one we don't really have a replacement for with our wide outs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom