Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Sounds like you behaved like a pillock and because of a minor hassle, destroyed the very shed designed to protect your bike :confused:

Why didn’t you just wait for 1 minute, get a copy of the key and then raise your frustration with the maintenance man for 1) not having received a letter 2) being inconvenienced whilst getting to your bike 3) the ease in which access was gained

Caporegime
Cor, entitled much?
You're kicking off at the gardener for something that's not even his fault?

Your train was 2 minutes away, yet you reckoned you had time to get your bike out and ride to the station... Why aren't you walking that distance in the first place?

But as is, you behaved like a dick and are now getting arsey over being in the wrong.

Typical cyclist to be honest. I bet he wears a 1 piece lycra condom and posts helmet cam videos on YouTube too.

Soldato
Sounds like if I were to 'accidentally' leave one of my possessions inside a bank, then when they lock up and deprive me of access to my own property I'll be free to just break in.

Soldato
Would pay to watch this new Hulk film in the cinema.

But I'm still sure property damage is a civil lawsuit. The CPS could pick it up as criminal damage but I'd like to think they would be focusing their efforts on more important things.

HULK SMASH?!

CPS wouldn’t need to be involved. The cops have the authority to charge for criminal damage.

Soldato
Not sure if there is a law but from research the police are more than happy for you break whatever you need to get access to your item as long as you actually own the item, which I do and have proof.

With that logic, does that mean that if i suddenly need a couple of grand of my own money, but the bank is closed as it's a weekend, that i could calmly hop along to my local bank branch, break down the door, then break the safe door and take my couple of grand? After all, it's rightfully mine, and i have proof ;)

Man of Honour
No, no-one stole your bike. You don't even know who owns the shed, or if they knew about the extra lock.

Even if the landlord put the lock on himself, he didn't steal your bike. Stealing means intentionally and permanently depriving someone of possession of something. [..]

So if I took your car and claimed I was going to return it at some point, that's not theft because I wasn't permanently depriving you of it? Maybe not, but it would be illegal and I'm sure you wouldn't be OK with it.

Personally, I think both people in this scenario are in the wrong. Sounds like a case for Jeremy Kyle...oh wait.

Soldato
I think the OP is in the right here.

If the OP rents the property he has some rights over this shed too. The shed was made available for bike storage then his possession was locked inside with no warning.

If you know how long it takes to ride to a destination and plan your timing accordingly, then a couple of minutes does matter. Why would the OP expect anything other than being able to immediately access his bike as he has done on numerous occassions before.

I cant see the police being interested in a resident breaking into a shed on their own (rental) property to access their own belongings. If i lost my garage key and had to break the door down thats not criminal damage but Id have to pay the repair. In this case the cause wasnt a lost key it was someone else changing the lock without notice, so Id agree with the OP that this is their own stupid fault.

Commissario
I don't think the op was right, especially after the caretaker offered to go and get a key.

He committed criminal damage and made the bike shed insecure for any other users.

I suspect the Op would have been far more annoyed if the shed had been broken into and his bike stolen and it turned out that something could have been done to secure it but wasn't, or it turned out that some idiot had got upset at a couple of minutes delay and had broken the shed allowing a thief unrestricted access.

I suspect that the tenancy/lease agreement probably covers both things like changing the locks on the shed/communal facilities if and when required, and the correct way to deal with a problem arising from it, I suspect the correct way to deal with a problem as outlined in the agreement isn't going to be "cause damage so the property is insecure".

If I was the op, I would pay up before the police or small claims court get involved and the cost increases dramatically (and be grateful it doesn't sound like the caretaker/management company had to call in an outside tradesman, or he could easily be looking at £75+ just for the callout to fix the damage, before any materials).

Getting angry and breaking things (especially that belong to other people) tends to have a price.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you know how long it takes to ride to a destination and plan your timing accordingly, then a couple of minutes does matter. Why would the OP expect anything other than being able to immediately access his bike as he has done on numerous occassions before

But lets say your train is at 11:45am. You know it takes 12 minutes to cycle to the station. Do you really set off at 11:33am? If they aren't very frequent (we assume not, given the urgency he must make this train) surely you give yourself at least 5 minutes spare?

Associate
I have no experience in these matters, but would it not be you are liable for the repair to the door, but you can then counter claim against the maintenance man for inviting the sequence?

Soldato
You're probably going to find your contract says use of bike shed is desretionary, subject to change without notice and at your own risk. You're probably also going to find your liable for any damage you cause and if you don't cough up you'll be evicted and it taken from your bond / persued.

Happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom