Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Maybe due to having no door on the shed, the management have decided to put locks on all the bikes and the OP is now fervently trying to tear the lock apart with his bare hands to access his bike ?:D

Soldato
Typical cyclist to be honest. I bet he wears a 1 piece lycra condom and posts helmet cam videos on YouTube too.
Is he old enough to afford all that?

but you can then counter claim against the maintenance man for inviting the sequence?
Counter-claim?
Dude, this is GD, not Judge Judy!!
She usually dismisses counter claims anyway.... :D

you might want to wind it in a bit because this would be grounds to kick you out as far as most landlords are concerrned.
To quote Judge Rinder: "Shhhh..... Let the idiot speak..." :D

I'm fairly sure if your train was due in 2 minutes that you wouldn't have enough time to cycle to the station and then secure your bike at the station.
That was my first thought, but then I figured OP is one of those... that takes his big-ass mountain bike aboard with him, stands half-mounted on it in all his Lycra™ gear, in the main doors area while still blocking both aisles!

Associate
Lucky the gardener didn't phone the police on the spot. Unless he knows you pretty well. For all he knew you could have been someone stealing bikes.... If your building has communal meetings, maybe you'd like to feedback to them that you think a metal shed would be a better upgrade. With finger print and IRIS recognition.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
OP
Haha was waiting for some typical GD responses. Didn't reply last night as I was hoping for at least 2 pages but only saw 1 so was disappointed.

Can't reply to everyone individually so I will try to summarise and add some more information:

Doesn't matter where I was going and had to catch my train. I would not have had enough time to walk from the other station to where I was going, I needed my bike. I could have had to go see my grandmother on her deathbed, it's not up to somebody else to decide when I can and cannot use my own bike.

When the gardener offered to get the key the door was already at least half way off the frame, getting the key now would be useless, and the building guy had to be taught a lesson, which I will expand on my next point.

This is not the first time the building guy has not given proper notification. At the end of last year I was about to jump in the shower before going to work (about 1pm) when I find there is NO water whatsoever. I go outside and see theres people in the water shed. I message the building guy and he tells me its planned maintenance, and I should have got a letter about it in the post. I tell him I didn't get ANY letter, and ask why he didnt just put the information on the notice board by the letter boxes that everyone can see. His reply? 'Nobody looks at it anyway'. The outcome? I had to use a bottle of water I luckily had, and use that as a shower, which was EXTREMELY cold, as I had no other option to not be late for work. Bare in mind he lives in the same area and could have posted the letter by hand to everyone.

So he clearly did not learn from his mistake that time. And I'm supposed to let him off again? No thank you. He needed to be taught a lesson that the world does not run on his timetable, and he does not get to decide when people can have a shower and when people can use their own bike without ANY AT ALL communication.

Also when I first got to the shed my first thought was maybe a thief had broken in, and installed a new lock to get the bikes in the night time, as I had no prior info about this install happening.

To all the people who seem to think I should have just not used my bike and walked etc, are you the type of people that when your boss at work tells you to do something, you do it without even questioning it, if its right or wrong? As that's not me. I stand up for myself.

And just to update the building guy finally gave the key to the new lock last night.

Soldato
So now that nasty 'building guy' has learned that while he can be an inconvenience, other people can be down right ****s

A2Z is very important and the horse he's on is VERY high.

God forbid if a train's cancelled, he'll have the door off and drive it to work himself, as changing plans isn't for someone who 'stands up for themselves'

Caporegime
To all the people who seem to think I should have just not used my bike and walked etc, are you the type of people that when your boss at work tells you to do something, you do it without even questioning it

You are right I do, but then....I am the Boss.

And just to update the building guy finally gave the key to the new lock last night.

And is everyone else that lives there happy that the local psycho smashed up the bike shed? Let me guess, your attitude is "**** those guys"?

Soldato
Haha was waiting for some typical GD responses. Didn't reply last night as I was hoping for at least 2 pages but only saw 1 so was disappointed.

Can't reply to everyone individually so I will try to summarise and add some more information:

Doesn't matter where I was going and had to catch my train. I would not have had enough time to walk from the other station to where I was going, I needed my bike. I could have had to go see my grandmother on her deathbed, it's not up to somebody else to decide when I can and cannot use my own bike.

When the gardener offered to get the key the door was already at least half way off the frame, getting the key now would be useless, and the building guy had to be taught a lesson, which I will expand on my next point.

This is not the first time the building guy has not given proper notification. At the end of last year I was about to jump in the shower before going to work (about 1pm) when I find there is NO water whatsoever. I go outside and see theres people in the water shed. I message the building guy and he tells me its planned maintenance, and I should have got a letter about it in the post. I tell him I didn't get ANY letter, and ask why he didnt just put the information on the notice board by the letter boxes that everyone can see. His reply? 'Nobody looks at it anyway'. The outcome? I had to use a bottle of water I luckily had, and use that as a shower, which was EXTREMELY cold, as I had no other option to not be late for work. Bare in mind he lives in the same area and could have posted the letter by hand to everyone.

So he clearly did not learn from his mistake that time. And I'm supposed to let him off again? No thank you. He needed to be taught a lesson that the world does not run on his timetable, and he does not get to decide when people can have a shower and when people can use their own bike without ANY AT ALL communication.

Also when I first got to the shed my first thought was maybe a thief had broken in, and installed a new lock to get the bikes in the night time, as I had no prior info about this install happening.

To all the people who seem to think I should have just not used my bike and walked etc, are you the type of people that when your boss at work tells you to do something, you do it without even questioning it, if its right or wrong? As that's not me. I stand up for myself.

The landlord may have committed the tort of "conversion" I.e. prevented you accessing your own property (the bike) but you can't then break down the door, yourself committing both a civil and criminal offence, and justify it with "but that guy committed a civil wrong first".

This is all there is to it I'm afraid. You are liable for the damages. You could have attempted to reclaim damages due to them potentially committing the tort of conversion. You'd have to prove what you lost out on though, and I doubt it would be more than the costs of your damage.

You will have to pay for it if they try to prosecute you for it.

Soldato
I would not have had enough time to walk from the other station to where I was going, I needed my bike.
You'd have been utterly stuffed if something had happened along the way, then, like if the train had been delayed by a jumper.

and the building guy had to be taught a lesson
And you assume you're the one entitled to do it?
Why not go the whole hog and punch his face in?

he tells me its planned maintenance, and I should have got a letter about it in the post.
So he posted letters, which were seemingly delayed by the Post Office, so you're going to punish him for someone else's mistake?

I tell him I didn't get ANY letter, and ask why he didnt just put the information on the notice board by the letter boxes that everyone can see. His reply? 'Nobody looks at it anyway'.
Yep. You cannot guarantee that someone will always look at something which may or may not have anything to do with them, or even notice that new information has been posted.
Addressing a letter directly is a far better solution, and the reason why we send out 35,000 letters instead of posting something important on a few office walls and hoping 35,000 staff all notice it.

He needed to be taught a lesson that the world does not run on his timetable, and he does not get to decide when people can have a shower and when people can use their own bike without ANY AT ALL communication.
So to teach the maintenance guy a lesson, you damage property belonging to your landlord, that your landlord will have to pay the maintenance guy to fix?
I think someone should have taught you a few lessons!!

To all the people who seem to think I should have just not used my bike and walked etc, are you the type of people that when your boss at work tells you to do something, you do it without even questioning it, if its right or wrong?
No, we're the types of people who've encountered similar (and likely far worse) problems, usually with no gardeners or anything to help us out, and had to find other ways to solve them in order to get on with our lives.

As that's not me. I stand up for myself.
I really hope you one day meet someone else who similarly 'stands up for themselves'.... preferably soon.

Soldato
You might need to sleep with one eye open, the gardener may come for you and flymo your man weasel off while you sleep...........................

on a serious note, OP do you suffer from psychotic episodes, you come across as full of rage and mentally unstable ?

Caporegime
This is the funniest thread in a while, OP has clearly not got the answer and back up he was looking for and abandoned the thread.

I'm fairly sure if your train was due in 2 minutes that you wouldn't have enough time to cycle to the station and then secure your bike at the station.

you can take the bike on the train sherlock

Soldato
lol at the "needs to be taught a lesson" repeats.
you break something and will need to pay for it, you risk civil action and/or eviction, and you inconvenience everyone else by leaving their property in a building w/ no door. wow, you'll show him, and no error!

not to colour the rest, but you definitely sound like the stereotypical cyclist. bet you plonk your bike in really inconvenient places to other passengers on the train too.

Associate
I was about to ask a question along similar lines

Some random guy has started to lock his bike in my employers shed, we’d like to prank him before telling him it’s private property and to stop using it

Any ideas , ones that are not illegal

Sounds like from what everyone else is saying, it's perfectly acceptable to just add a second lock to his bike so he can't access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom