• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
People need to stop thinking the 12 and 16 chips will be the fastest gaming chips. They won't be.

Lisa stressed on 3 distinct occasions that the 3800x was the top of the line gaming CPU.

Why? I don't know. Maybe inter chiplet latency or something. But I would betmy bottom dollar the 3800x out performs the 3900x and 3950x in gaming. She made sure she stressed that.

Associate
Urmm no the comparison with the 9900K was with the 3800X which is £399, it's quite possible that a 3800X and X570 motherboard will cost the same as a 9900K with a similar spec Z390 board give or take a round of beers.

I didn't think Z390 boards had PCIE 4.0, so that would be a toughie. Anyway the standard run of the mill 'Gaming' edition boards I saw from Gigabyte were like $180? Not to mention previous gen boards will work so that's not much of a comparison.

At the end of the day if the 3800X is getting ballpark 9900k performance in gaming at a £100/$100 lower price point while being clocked 500MHz lower, then what is not to get excited about?

Associate
They are both CPUs so buy on actual performance not some abstract difference that marketing dreams up to fool the uniformed like yourself.

Lol, you're a very emotional young man over a bit of silicon. Might I suggest a dose of fresh air and real life?

I fully intend to buy on performance, so I'll wait for some actual tests and reviews that are a little more conclusive.

Associate
Some how I missed that it was a custom pubg benchmark. Didn't think that there isn't an inbuilt one.

That's takes the shine off a little.

Looks to me like they had an AMD and Intel machine running next to each other to get an apples to apples comparison in-game.

Seems like a decent way to test that sort of game to me.

Soldato
People need to stop thinking the 12 and 16 chips will be the fastest gaming chips. They won't be.

Lisa stressed on 3 distinct occasions that the 3800x was the top of the line gaming CPU.

Why? I don't know. Maybe inter chiplet latency or something. But I would betmy bottom dollar the 3800x out performs the 3900x and 3950x in gaming. She made sure she stressed that.

AMD is pushing 8 cores as the new mainstream for gaming, it's in their gaming PCs and consoles

As for the PUBG "bench"

We don't know what settings or hardware they used, we don't know if the rest of the hardware in each system was the same or not. And the frame rates seemed to have been limited so we don't know how high they can go when you put a better GPU in, it looks like they were using a Navi GPU which is not top of the line.

AMD posted another slide were they gave the % improvement of the 2700x in various games

On of those was GTA V, where they said the 3800x is 14% faster - looking at 2700x vs 9900k that would make the 3800x still slower in GTA V than the 9900k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGI05kXOKsQ

Last edited:
Associate
Other thing is that we know for a fact the 9900k will clock, regardless of power consumption and all that other crap.

If the AMD doesn't clock at all and these are single core boosts again, then Intel will still retain the gaming performance crown. At a cost perhaps, but they would still be faster...

Associate
AMD is pushing 8 cores as the new mainstream for gaming, it's in their gaming PCs and consoles

You can pretty much guarantee that a lot of late 2020 and beyond AAA titles will suddenly be badly CPU bottlenecked below a fast 8 core / 16 thread.

Navi will be a nice upgrade for PS5 and XBN over what's on offer now. But an 8 core Zen 2 CPU will be an absolutely enormous upgrade over low clocked 8 core Jaguars. The number of extra draw calls, and budget for AI, NPCs and dynamic events etc is going to be absolutely enormous.

That's probably the biggest inter generational leap ever on consoles, for CPU (or GPU comparatively).

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't think Z390 boards had PCIE 4.0, so that would be a toughie. Anyway the standard run of the mill 'Gaming' edition boards I saw from Gigabyte were like $180? Not to mention previous gen boards will work so that's not much of a comparison.
At the end of the day if the 3800X is getting ballpark 9900k performance in gaming at a £100/$100 lower price point while being clocked 500MHz lower, then what is not to get excited about?
Yeah X570 boards are the first to fully support PCIE4 so if that's important to you you don't have much of a choice but bear in mind that the X570 chipset requires active cooling under certain circumstances as well as additional PCB layers so the majority of boards are equipped with extras that will add to their cost over the Z390 versions so i am fairly confident there won't be parity between board costs at the same level. As I've said before the disparity in cost between a X570 3800X CPU and board combo and a Z390 9900K combo isn't going to be much, I still think Intel will win out on the gaming front with little to no cost difference.

Looks to me like they had an AMD and Intel machine running next to each other to get an apples to apples comparison in-game.Seems like a decent way to test that sort of game to me.
That's pretty naive, if Intel had a side by side comparison you can be sure they would show the 9900K smacking the arse off the 3800X, the fact that AMD couldn't do that with a benchmark they designed indicates to me that they still haven't caught up with gaming performance.

Soldato
You can pretty much guarantee that a lot of late 2020 and beyond AAA titles will suddenly be CPU bottlenecked below 8 cores / 16 threads.

Navi will be a nice upgrade for PS5 and XBN over what's on offer now. But an 8 core Zen 2 CPU will be an absolutely enormous upgrade over low clocked 8 core Jaguars. The number of extra draw calls, and budget for AI, NPCs and dynamic events etc is going to be absolutely enormous.

That's probably the biggest inter generational leap ever on consoles, for CPU (or GPU comparatively).

PS2 to PS3 CPU was a massive upgrade too - however due to architecture complexities most games never used the CPU to it's potential. That's the main difference this time - this time games will use the full power on tap

Associate
So best case scenario the 3800X beats the 9900K by 2% in a single benchmark developed by AMD to showcase the performance of their CPU. Even AMD don't say they beat the 9900K just that they equal the performance. If the 3800X was truely a 9900K beater I would expect a whole lot more than a single in house benchmark to prove it especially at the product launch.

I've seen enough people on here fire off about how to get the highest FPS in PUBG you need Intel's single core perf ... Well from this I agree limited bench , it appears that's no longer the case , I expect to see this repeated to a high degree in other tittles where the margins are similar and run unreal at the very least . I don't personally think AMD takes the gaming crown outright but there should be enough to and fro between the companies that the higher core count and lower TDP makes AMD look immeasurably a better buy

Associate
PS2 to PS3 CPU was a massive upgrade too - however due to architecture complexities most games never used the CPU to it's potential.

PS4 (vanilla) CPU has about 100GFLOPS, theoretically, and loads of bottlenecks ... practical number is probably a lot lower, maybe half. Theoretically, PS5 CPU must have well in excess of 500GFLOPS. Maybe a lot higher? Practical number I'd guess would be close to 500GFLOPS, with far fewer bottlenecks than Jaguar. Might be a 10x gain in the real world.

Soldato
So best case scenario the 3800X beats the 9900K by 2% in a single benchmark developed by AMD to showcase the performance of their CPU. Even AMD don't say they beat the 9900K just that they equal the performance. If the 3800X was truely a 9900K beater I would expect a whole lot more than a single in house benchmark to prove it especially at the product launch.

They were saying the CPU was removed as a bottleneck. We don't know what GPU they were using, but the game was effectively GPU bound.

They also do show a 15% increase in PUBG over the 2700X even if you believe the benchmark was manipulate to show AMD in the best light.

Caporegime

The skeptic in me suggests that, given Giga (et al) are trying to sell $600 boards, they aren't going to let you have the best CPU performance possible from their $180 board.

Maybe they'll limit faster memory speeds to the more expensive boards or something along those lines. Gotta differentiate somehow! Only so much extra you can charge for stupid rgb lighting :p

Soldato
But you don't even need X570 unless you really need PCIE 4. Just buy an X470 board (<£130) if the X570 is expensive.

I would guess X570 boards will be expensive (£150-£250) at launch and it is only really when B550 boards come out will you get £100 motherboards.

Associate
AMD posted another slide were they gave the % improvement of the 2700x in various games

On of those was GTA V, where they said the 3800x is 14% faster - looking at 2700x vs 9900k that would make the 3800x still slower in GTA V than the 9900k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGI05kXOKsQ

Worked it out to be a 1% quicker going by Anandtech's review of the 9900k.

GTA 5 - anandtech.com - 720p Low with GTX 1080 - October 2018

2700X - 148
9900k - 167
3800X - 169 (+14%)

Tried to do this with the other benches but they're all multiplayer so an absolute ******* to get a reliable bench outside using something like Userbench.

Back
Top Bottom