LG c9 OLED

Soldato
For those that advocate using oled back it up, leave a game with bright HUD overnight at 100% contrast and oled light.

No one does that, OLED for gaming pc or otherwise is fine but to use as a desktop screen to do boring windows stuff then no I wouldn’t use an OLED.

8 hour Destiny session tho, no worries and no burn same as with plasma!

Soldato
For what it’s worth I read that plasmas are more susceptible to burn in than OLEDs.

And I spent many many hours playing Xbox 360 games on a Plasma about 10 years ago now. While that TV did sometimes get short term image retention, but it was from someone who paused the cable TV channels for too long. That TV never had image burn in

Last edited:
Soldato
So I've now got my C9

WOW, just WOW. Totally blown away, this beats the pants off edge/FALD lit VA panels that Samsung uses by a massive margin.

I had the two panels side by side at home and compared a couple games and videos. The amazing contrast and proper black levels is something else.
Also, no longer do I have to see blooming, noise and colour banding in dark scenes. Game of thrones season 8, episode 3 is very easy to view too

The TV is snappy and easy to use - incredibly easy to setup - I just turned my PC, PS4 and Soundbar on and within 5 seconds it detected and connected all my devices and it set the console and PC into gamemode by itself and setup the soundbar to work with the magic remote.

Easiest TV I've ever used and certainly the best looking, very happy.

I also tested 1440p 120hz - OMG it's ******* amazing, played some Battlefield V and it was extremely crisp and the way it handles motion is next level - it makes my IPS ASUS Gaming monitor look like a cheap toy.

Soldato
Corrected if I’m wrong but I belive the LG oled don’t have Freesync. They use Adaptive VRR which is an HDMI open standard outside any brand. I think only Samsung TVs have Freesync since last year right? According to Rtings The only device that works with the LG is a Xbox one x. But when HDMI 2.1 gpus arrive it’s expected they will work with adaptive VRR on the LG too while the 2019 Samsung will be stuck only working with AMD in Freesync.

No, you have it mixed up. TVs either support VRR or they don't.
didn't understand your point - he wasn't refuting that VRR is supported on LG, freesync implies vrr, but not the converse.
anyway, saw this reasonable faq
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...-about-freesync-and-the-xbox-one-x-and-one-s/

Soldato
didn't understand your point - he wasn't refuting that VRR is supported on LG, freesync implies vrr, but not the converse.
anyway, saw this reasonable faq
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...-about-freesync-and-the-xbox-one-x-and-one-s/

My point was fairly simple, but, badly explained I guess. When the new HDMI 2.1 GPUs appear they will still work with Samsung TV's as they (The Samsung TVs) are designed to work with Freesync and VRR over HDMI.

For the bit you quoted from my post I should have been more clear and said, "TVs either support VRR over HDMI or they don't"

And I was just letting him know that his 1080Ti won't support VRR over HDMI.

Soldato
So I've now got my C9

WOW, just WOW. Totally blown away, this beats the pants off edge/FALD lit VA panels that Samsung uses by a massive margin.

I had the two panels side by side at home and compared a couple games and videos. The amazing contrast and proper black levels is something else.
Also, no longer do I have to see blooming, noise and colour banding in dark scenes. Game of thrones season 8, episode 3 is very easy to view too

The TV is snappy and easy to use - incredibly easy to setup - I just turned my PC, PS4 and Soundbar on and within 5 seconds it detected and connected all my devices and it set the console and PC into gamemode by itself and setup the soundbar to work with the magic remote.

I also tested 1440p 120hz - OMG it's ******* amazing, played some Battlefield V and it was extremely crisp and the way it handles motion is next level - it makes my IPS ASUS Gaming monitor look like a cheap toy.

Well jealous. Let's see some pictures.

Soldato
I have an E8 and kind of wished I had waited for this years range with 2.1 now.

Then again the game changes so quickly...amazing having 120hz support on such a beautiful screen though. Only slightly jealous ;)

Soldato
So I've now got my C9

Congrats, glad you are enjoying your new TV.

What are you changing up from?

Soldato
I have an E8 and kind of wished I had waited for this years range with 2.1 now.

Then again the game changes so quickly...amazing having 120hz support on such a beautiful screen though. Only slightly jealous ;)

Don't buy amything until you're 99 years old when you do buy a TV it will be the best until one week later

Associate
I just ordered the 65" B8, was going to get the c8 but got a good deal on the older set and its roughly the same panel - just the processor/processing thats really updated between the two i think.
Seeing as most of my viewing comes from my PC on it i got the cheaper one.

Very impressed with the demos in the shop, such a good looking item as well - hope it fits in my lounge :p:p:p

Soldato
I just ordered the 65" B8, was going to get the c8 but got a good deal on the older set and its roughly the same panel - just the processor/processing thats really updated between the two i think.
Seeing as most of my viewing comes from my PC on it i got the cheaper one.

Very impressed with the demos in the shop, such a good looking item as well - hope it fits in my lounge :p:p:p

Yeah c8 65" £2000 versus c9 65" £3500

Can't justify that extra cost

Associate
The b8 i got for just over 1600 in 65" form, the c8 in the same size ..... best i found was like 1800, the c9 was a LOT more expensive up there at silly money.

Yeah its better and so is the c8 over the B8 but its mostly just onboard processing and well.. i am sure the pc could compensate maybe with all sorts of image fiddling.

All 3 are epic panels though.

Associate
The b8 i got for just over 1600 in 65" form, the c8 in the same size ..... best i found was like 1800, the c9 was a LOT more expensive up there at silly money.

Yeah its better and so is the c8 over the B8 but its mostly just onboard processing and well.. i am sure the pc could compensate maybe with all sorts of image fiddling.

All 3 are epic panels though.

I'm currently uhm-ing and aah-ing over which one to get - I'd like the 65" b8 but am worried I'll miss out on killer features by not going for a newer (but smaller) model. I'm not going to be using it for gaming, so does anyone have a view of whether there's any major differences?

Soldato
Why the facepalm. It's Grim5's opinion of a TV that he bought side by side with a TV he has already in his own home environment.

Yes that’s right.

The TV it replaced is a Samsung KS8000, edge light QLED.

And it’s a massive difference. And I haven’t even fully configured the c9 settings yet. I usually just copy settings from rtings when I buy a tv.

Don’t get me wrong the ks8000 is still a brilliant tv and it’s been moved to a different room. But the colour contrast and black levels are something else, the ks8000 has a yellowish appearance and looks less realistic, and due to the edge light backlight it’s unable to get proper black levels and has to rely on its super bright levels to get a decent contrast but it results in parts of the screen being washed out.

Another benefit, although it doesn’t really matter, is that because I can set the c9 to run on a much lower brightness I’ve noticed the c9 pulls much less power from the wall, almost half as much.

In the store I did compare the Samsung q80r and Q90R and they also have really good picture with FALD backlights. It’s hard to compare them directly to the c9 due to them playing different content in the store. But what I noticed is that the q80r and Q90R still has that yellowish appearance to the image where the c9s colours just look more realistic and while the FALD is good the q80r has quite a bit of blooming on it - the Q90R was better but still not on the c9s level.

Overall I might actually have bought the Samsung Q90R but for two reasons I did not. 1) Samsung is not importing the Q90R in 55 inch In my country which is the size I wanted and 2) the Q90R has no hdmi 2.1 ports and so it can’t do 4K 120hz without dropping down to Subsampled 8 bit, sdr. And despite its shortcomings the Q90R is actually priced significantly higher than the c9 and over here the c9 and q80r is nearly the same price

Last edited:
Soldato
Accurate TVs are one thing but how do you get your eyes calibrated?

How do you know what you're seeing because of your retina inaccuracy to the film director?

Can you get used print out for your eyeballs? Are your eyeballs pulled out and plugged into a calibrator?

Soldato
I found this on one of the reviews, it's the most vast image difference I've seen so far
It's the same sunset scene - notice the weird stripes in the sky on the Q90R, almost looks like banding and of course the contrast difference

Q90R

lluthwub.fdh.jpg

C9:

hrnehlpp.csu.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom