LG c9 OLED

Associate
Hi all

Need some advice, looking at buying the 55” LG c9 this weekend.

Main reason being is for pc gaming as my 4K monitor just died and is out of warranty. But my old Samsung 720p tv is in its way out so thats another justification for splashing 2.5k in this.

Before I pull the trigger however just wondering if anyone else uses this tv for pc gaming and if so what’s the performance like?

I know it’s hdmi 2.1 and my gtx1080ti only support hdmi 2 so would it be more sensible to get the c8 which is 1300 at present, all be it a year older?

Also can these LG tv support gaming at 1440p?

Thanks

Soldato
Well i've used my 65" LG C7 as a PC monitor for games and movies since October 2017 and have no image retention. Has been great, playing mainly RTS and FPS games (using a wireless mouse and keyboard!) and have found it fantastic. As long as you are not in the same game, with the same HUD for 10+ hours per day I think you will be fine.

Associate
OP
Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think I will buy the LG c8. Read some feedback here on OLED.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-05-09-best-2019-4k-tvs-for-hdr-gaming-7009

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/best-gaming-tvs-uk/

My time on it will probably be split 60% gaming and 40% for tv. No many monitors at the moment are inspiring for me to buy them, the ones that are are similar price to an OLED tv anyway.

The 1k I save on buying older L8 I can put towards a new gfx or cpu upgrade later in year.

Soldato
I'm buying the C9 this week - used as a gaming screen for the ps4 and pc with the occasional netflix and youtube.

For anyone who thinks this panel isn't as good as a PC monitor, watch this and think again :)

Caporegime
does that video prove you won't have retention or burn in issues?

yes we all know how good OLED looks. that isn't the point we are making.

if you end up with burn in by getting a bad panel. will you then think it's money well spent?

burn in depends on the panel you receive as well as usage. as rtings have tested 10 different tv's doing the exact same thing and some were worse than others. some had no retention / burn in and others had it. so it's a panel lottery as well.

Soldato
Yeah burn in will happen eventually and slowly over time but that does look fantastic.

Personally i am waiting to see how the 2019 Panasonic GZ950B OLED will perform it should be out in june.

Soldato
Personally I'd go for the previous gen C8 and get a dedicated PC monitor with the money you'd save. Your 1080ti won't do VRR over HDMI (it's only supported by Freesync at the moment), so you'd be capped at 60Hz refresh rate. That's fine for console gaming, but if I was spending thousands I'd want high refresh rate when PC gaming. There are plenty of good PC monitors out there, get one of the high refresh rate ultrawide monitors or something like the LG 32GK850G-B that will support g-sync.

Soldato
Personally I'd go for the previous gen C8 and get a dedicated PC monitor with the money you'd save. Your 1080ti won't do VRR over HDMI (it's only supported by Freesync at the moment), so you'd be capped at 60Hz refresh rate. That's fine for console gaming, but if I was spending thousands I'd want high refresh rate when PC gaming. There are plenty of good PC monitors out there, get one of the high refresh rate ultrawide monitors or something like the LG 32GK850G-B that will support g-sync.

Corrected if I’m wrong but I belive the LG oled don’t have Freesync. They use Adaptive VRR which is an HDMI open standard outside any brand. I think only Samsung TVs have Freesync since last year right? According to Rtings The only device that works with the LG is a Xbox one x. But when HDMI 2.1 gpus arrive it’s expected they will work with adaptive VRR on the LG too while the 2019 Samsung will be stuck only working with AMD in Freesync.

Also the C8 can only do 4K 60hz and 1080 120hz. The c9 can do 1440p 120hz and 4K 120hz and without any sub sampling so you get 100% colour accuracy. The C9 accepts a native 1440p 120hz image input and then gets scaled up with the A9 chip and from reviews look pretty damn good at it too

Personally i am waiting to see how the 2019 Panasonic GZ950B OLED will perform it should be out in june.

Any significant features between the two? Panasonic isn’t that easy to find by me but I could wait for the Sony but I don’t know if there is any significant changes they’re all LG panels anyway

Last edited:
Caporegime
also if playing competitive shooters. having a large 55" - 65" screen is a hindrance on a PC.

you need to be able to see the full screen. the maximum for pure competitive play is 27" based on a normal desk seating position.

Caporegime
Don't get a TV for purely desktop usage. Best setup is something like mine, decent monitor for browsing, work etc. then TV at the side on wall for all media, gaming stuff, you get a good setup then that can switch between things flawlessly.

Soldato
Don't get a TV for purely desktop usage. Best setup is something like mine, decent monitor for browsing, work etc. then TV at the side on wall for all media, gaming stuff, you get a good setup then that can switch between things flawlessly.

That is the best yes and is what I do as well - the TV is only for media, actual browsing and work etc is still done on a 27 inch monitor

Soldato
Corrected if I’m wrong but I belive the LG oled don’t have Freesync. They use Adaptive VRR which is an HDMI open standard outside any brand. I think only Samsung TVs have Freesync since last year right? According to Rtings The only device that works with the LG is a Xbox one x. But when HDMI 2.1 gpus arrive it’s expected they will work with adaptive VRR on the LG too while the 2019 Samsung will be stuck only working with AMD in Freesync.

Also the C8 can only do 4K 60hz and 1080 120hz. The c9 can do 1440p 120hz and 4K 120hz and without any sub sampling so you get 100% colour accuracy. The C9 accepts a native 1440p 120hz image input and then gets scaled up with the A9 chip and from reviews look pretty damn good at it too

Yep, you're right on both counts. I was unaware of the second point, interesting.

Soldato

No, you have it mixed up. TVs either support VRR or they don't. A Freesync TV uses the open Adaptive VRR standard. Samsung 2018 TVs have VRR but the limitations are there because they only have HDMI 2.0 which has a bandwidth limit. Any device that uses VRR will be able to connect to a 2018 Samsung TV just the same as the LG TV. But your 1080Ti won't be one of those devices as it doesn't support adaptive VRR over HDMI 2.1.

Yep, you're right on both counts. I was unaware of the second point, interesting.

No he isn't.

EDIT: Just to add that I am not surprised by the confusion. A lot of people don't seem to realise that a TV that supports Freesync uses the open HDMI VRR standard.

Last edited:
Soldato
does that video prove you won't have retention or burn in issues?

yes we all know how good OLED looks. that isn't the point we are making.

if you end up with burn in by getting a bad panel. will you then think it's money well spent?

burn in depends on the panel you receive as well as usage. as rtings have tested 10 different tv's doing the exact same thing and some were worse than others. some had no retention / burn in and others had it. so it's a panel lottery as well.

You got a link to that Rtings test as I’ve never seen that or heard of such a panel lottery? I know they have 6 OLED on test doing different things and run another long term test with lcds vs OLED but never seen the 10 same panel long term test.

Soldato
Worst thing you can do is get an OLED as a monitor, I have owned every generation of OLED but would never consider using one as a monitor. I have never got burn in myself but You WILL get burn in without a doubt

Soldato
Like everything else it depends how long you use it for.

Using it as a monitor for a couple hours a day won’t be an issue.

I never spend more than an hour at my desk so actually an oled monitor would be fine for me - and because you are so close to the screen you can turn the brightness down even more than if it’s a TV

Soldato
No way I would use oled or plasma for a monitor.

Get a led TV instead.

For those that advocate using oled back it up, leave a game with bright HUD overnight at 100% contrast and oled light.

Back
Top Bottom