• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Doesnt the 2080ti only just overwhelm PCI Express 3 x8 port and not by much?

Pretty sure it's somewhat irrelevant for a couple more years.
It's currently irrelevant with current cards yes. Though they are also tuned to that bandwidth restriction. With PCI-E 4.0 and 5.0 both coming in quick succession I think there's going to be a huge ramping up of GPU's using that excess bus width. Though it still remains that both AMD and Nvidia have to start capitalizing on that to get the best out of their GPU cores. Nvidia being there just with the 2080Ti and RTX Titan and AMD not really there yet, though clearly if in a test scenario the Navi arch is capable of using it.

Soldato
Doesnt the 2080ti only just overwhelm PCI Express 3 x8 port and not by much?

Pretty sure it's somewhat irrelevant for a couple more years.

Titan V saturates the 16x PCIe 3.0, so I guess 2080Ti and RTX Titan do also. However both are PCI 3.0 cards, nothing can be done here to boost them even if they are added on 4.0 slot.
Possibly also, the reason of low RT performance is just that, they do not have the bandwidth to push the data fast to the cards.

Associate
Surprised to see that AMD are officially blocking support for PCIe 4.0 on older boards after some have already had BIOS updates to support it. A late change of mind to keep the marketplace simpler!

Soldato
Surprised to see that AMD are officially blocking support for PCIe 4.0 on older boards after some have already had BIOS updates to support it. A late change of mind to keep the marketplace simpler!

Or issues when the board partners like Gigabyte (the only who did this), put actually a card on and found that is overheating the SB or doesn't actually work properly due to different wiring?

Associate
I wouldn't hold my breath Nvidia pull something good here. Also many of us here, are more interested on having PCI 4.0 GPU, and plug M.2 on the second 8x slot for 15GB NVME raid :D

Yeah I'm not expecting Nvidia to do anything good, I feel these rumours are too good to be true. If any performance increase comes it's likely with further price hikes than actually reducing them!

I think I'm in the other camp regarding PCIE4 and M.2... I had my Samsung Evo Polaris NVME drive for 5 days before it got send back to rainforest... 4 of those days it sat in a box... doesn't benefit me in the slightest, but then I only use my machine to **** around playing games on.

Associate
Literally only on this forum that B-die is a talked about thing at all.
Bit suspicious that OCUK sells specific b die ram for ryzen at an inflated price no?

When I've looked at other retailers the prices are similar if not higher for B-Die RAM so the Team Group is actually cheap for what it is.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
So what does that actually mean? Like real world? How many FPS does B-die RAM get you over the same speed, non B-die RAM...?
I'd be amazed if it was beyond the margin of error!

I thought it was more to do with it running at its advertised speed more than anything.

i.e. you might buy some 3200mhz micron/Hynix based memory, but you may only get it to run at 2933Mhz, but if you buy 3200Mhz Samsung b-die memory, you can basically guarantee it will run at that advertised 3200Mhz

Back
Top Bottom